1911Forum banner

I sold my last plastic gun today

4K views 61 replies 53 participants last post by  WalterGC 
#1 ·
HK45 to pay off a SACS build.

Nothing but steel and alloy guns and revolvers now.

I feel no remorse.

#11 ·
I understand your love for all steel ... but I think plastic has its place ... at least in my pocket, waistband, nightstand, and car. I do love all steel at the range though! Except for action shooting. I don't know why, but I can shoot my Glocks better in USPSA and IDPA than I can my 1911s.

#12 ·
My collection is kind of like a check valve.... the guns only flow one way. In. I have some Tupperware that I take out once in a while, but even if they just sit there, it's just one more to pass out to all the friends and family that will flock my way when the SHTF.

#13 ·
Never got into them, though I like the idea in concept.

Every time I shoot one it just confirms that they are not for me.

The few Glocks I like are so blocky it's just too bulky to carry.

My only polymer framed pistols I own are a couple airguns and a Ruger 22/45.

#15 ·
I've never owned one and don't want to.

If someone else wants to, that's their business. It's just not for me.

#17 ·
I have a Kahr .380 plastic gun for light carry. That's a practical choice based on size & weight. I would also choose a plastic gun if I was LE & had to lug a fifteen pound Batman belt all day.

That being said, ALL my other 50 or so guns are metal & are older than me + most are pre-WW2. There is nothing like machined steel in your hands.

So I have no beef with plastic. It has it's place. But I cannot love a plastic pistol.

Hey, everybody enjoys a grilled steak or oven-roasted chicken.

But sometimes ya just zap something in the microwave. That's how I see Glocks.

#22 ·
I went through a "Glock" phase, mainly to shoot SSP class in IDPA. I sold the two I owned to have a new custom 1911 built for CDP class, and am happy to be back shooting the 1911 full time again. The only plastic gun I own now is a P3AT, it lives in my pocket, and is a suitable thing to carry when I'm not carrying a gun. :p There is nothing wrong with polymer guns, they are for the most part good weapons, but since I shoot competitively, and for recreation at that, I shoot what I have the most fun with.

#25 ·
Weird how some people post about giving up (or not liking) plastic guns, as though it's like some sort of badge of honor.

Glocks and HK's are fine weapons, and usually perform very well under all circumstances.

If you don't like them/want them/own them - so what? Is it really worth starting a thread about it?

#58 ·
My only Glock is a 31. I was a very late adopter. Had a safe full of 1911s before I ever got one. I like it. I really like the .357 Sig round, if I'm not loading .45

#31 ·
HK45 to pay off a SACS build.

nice!!

Nothing but steel and alloy guns and revolvers now.
i can't say that.
there are several polywonders in my safe
one of 'em (XD45) does night stand duty..i like having 13+1 big fat bullets in a gun.
and i reckon there will always be at least one M&P in my safe
(my favorite poly)

I feel no remorse.
i felt absolutely no remorse selling my HK USP.
(private sale/trade for a CZ75B and some ca$h)

Fine pistol mechanically, but otherwise i think they stink as a shooter compared to just about every other quality pistol

..L.T.A.

#33 ·
I like my XDM. Accurate, durable, and I never worry about the finish. Exact same size as my Combat Master. Also keep it next to the bed. Wife is more comfortable with the 9mm and the slide is easier to work for her compared to the tough springs on the Compact 1911. Plus no Hammer biting into your side in certain carrying conditions.

#37 ·
While I love my 1911's and a nice piece of wood, polymers definitely have their place in any category. I have had excellent results from my xd's and kahr's, and feel much better about being out in sleet or rain in the deer woods with something like a Ruger American than with one of my nice wood stocked rifles (they still come out on the nice days :p). Similarly I would rather take some polymer shotgun in the kayak up a stream after ducks than risk one of my high dollar shotguns going in the drink. They definitely have their place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.