1911Forum banner

1911 Thumb

6K views 40 replies 35 participants last post by  Billy1911 
#1 ·
Anyone else have this problem after shooting their 1911? This is the first time my Sig 1911 has done this to me, but I did shoot 100 rounds through it in one session (most I ever have). Other range sessions it would hurt there, but I didn't shoot it enough to cause it to do this.

See less See more
#2 ·
I "think" I'll be close to like 20k rounds through my 1911s this year in competition... shoot enough and you'll develop calluses where your raw skin is, along with on the other side on your index finger, as well as a nice 1/2 circle bruise from the grip safety digging in.... I usually do 200-400 rounds per practice w/o much issue.

I also squeeze the hell out of my guns to control them when shooting fast.

I heard that Bob Vogel has developed blisters on his strong hand knuckles from holding on so hard with his weak hand.

#6 · (Edited)
That looks like a job for a Dremel. Only took 100 rounds, huh? That's some kind of nasty protuberance rubbing on your thumb. SIG apparently doesn't like your thumb very much. After looking at some SIG 1911s it's obvious that the rear skirt of the thumb safety is almost completely unbeveled. It needs to be beveled much more. Unless you want to use heavy gloves to shoot more than one magazine through it.

#7 ·
That can be caused by a sharp safety. It can also be the way you're gripping. I've seen it happen for both reasons. Could be both things causing it together.

#8 ·
Could be a sharp edge on the safety, could be the way you are gripping it, and it could also be lack of a callous there too. Or all three :D Like Entropic above, I shoot a lot of competition and practice, and I use a Sig 1911 for that. I also use a pretty high grip with large hands. I can get the problem you have after going beyond my normal cycle. I take the Sig to classes, and after about 800 rounds or so, I have a blister. Apply band-aid and continue :D

#10 ·
Back when I was shopping for my last 1911, I found that several of them felt like gripping a hand-full of broken glass. The Rock Island Tactical model I looked at was probably the worst.

Jeff Cooper said that all most 1911's need is sights you can see, a trigger you can manage, and a dehorn job.

#13 ·
Get yourself down to Walmart and over where they sell band-aids , pick up some cheap Equate Mole Skin. It comes in a pack of two or three sheets for just a couple of bucks. Cut them into strips and stick them in your range bag. Once you work up the callous, you wont need the mole skin anymore, but you can sell it to newbies for a pretty penny at the range. Not that I would ever do such a thing you understand....

#15 · (Edited)
Don't tell me, let me guess:

You have one of the Sigs with the beavertail that drops in width as it comes off the frame and you are a high gripper?

It's that little corner between the back of the safety and the beavertail that's doing it. It chews my thumb up the same way if I shoot enough.

I almost replaced the beavertail over that PITA but then it dawned on me that I have about 6 pairs of fingerless motorcycle gloves and my Harley has about an inch of dust on it.

#16 ·
I get that when shooting my Detonics Combat Master, and I attribute it to the gun moving around in my hand, compared to shooting a larger, heavier gun that I can better hold onto.
100 rounds is usually enough for a tender spot, and another 50-100 will result in a blister.

#20 ·
That's called 'slide bite'. I've never heard of 1911 thumb. There's M1 Thumb caused by not getting your thumb out of the way of the closing bolt when putting a full enbloc in.

Yes it's caused by too high a grip on a 1911 w/o a beaver tail grip safety. Other small semi's like older Walthers and Sigs P230 will be even more agressive.

#27 ·
I'd agree with the need to round off the rear side of the thumb safety, as well as the lever itself if you shoot thumb high. Funny, in the olden days with thicker grip safeties I never had the problem, but nowadays sometimes. All that high hand hold modification stuff probably adds to the problem.

#30 ·
Parts need fitting and blending

I have seen S&W revolvers with wood grips not fitted. Firing the gun once and you would get a row of cuts on your palm.
1911s same thing. Parts must be blended so that there are no protrusions, no hard or sharp edges.

A file and an abrasive used to fit all the parts is all that is needed. Yes, the gun or those parts will require refinishing afterward. A SS gun in the white just needs to be polished to match.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.