1911Forum banner

New to 10mm ... Brass?

2K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Colt1911a11 
#1 ·
I have a Guncrafter No Name longslide on order in 10mm. I have decided it's time to start stocking up in preparation for its arrival (8 - 10 months out). This will be my 50+ yards pistol.

I found Cabelas had Hornady 180 grain HAP bullets on sale and have 1000 on the way.

I have primers and an assortment of powders.

I need brass. What can be found is between $250 and $300 per 1000 for once-fired! Seriously? That's $12.50 to $15.00 per box.

I can find re-man ammo for $25 per box and new for $30-ish. I will need some break-in ammo for this gun, so should I just buy some loaded ammo for that and source my own brass? Re-man or new?

Any sources for 10mm brass at a lower price?

#2 ·
Keep looking its out there ,try some different sites you can find brand new brass Hornady, Federal, etc for about 25.oo to 30.oo bucks per 100.One thing to remember in 10mm you want to be very careful buying so called once fired .This is a very powerful caliber and you dont want cheap brass that says it may be once fired ,possibly 3-4 times fired and worn out. I bought 1000 all new when I got my 10 its money well spent.The problem with buying once fired is you do not know how they have been loaded and 10mm cases don't have the life of say a 45 or 40. if they have been abused.

#3 ·
Unfortunately brass can be tough. Starline just this week opened up preorders for a run of 10mm brass towards the end of the month. Downside is it has sold out. Rumor has it they apparently sold the entire 300k of production in a little over a day. Best advice is to get on their email list for alerts. Prices start around $0.16 /round for 500 and go down from there based on quantity ordered.

If you're in a real pinch, shoot me a PM and I may be able to help.

#5 ·
Thanks guys. GWB for keeping me safe, Tightlines for the advice and offer and burkherm for the contact.

GWB, I'll use new or known brass for hot loads.

Tightlines, no pinch now. Gun is on order and I've got time to find what I need.

Burkherm, I'll PM Yank2500, but am not that hopeful. He has posted several times that he gets little 10mm ... I'll try though.

#7 ·
I'm not moving to 10mm for fun ... it's to save money!

Same reason my favorite revolver is a 41 Rem Magnum. I can save $35 for every box of reloaded ammo I shoot. Factory rounds are close to $1 each. I can reload them with premium components for far less.

I won't save that much on 10mm, but I'll surely be saving more money than if I kept shooting 45 ACP and 9mm P.

If you see flaws in my logic ... please keep them to yourself ...:)

#9 ·
Try the Brass Exchange and Georgia Arms and Ammo for once-fired; Starline for new brass.

I've never found it necessary to "break in " a firearm, but I don't believe it would make any difference if you were shooting quality reloads or new ammo.

#10 ·
I've never found it necessary to "break in " a firearm, but I don't believe it would make any difference if you were shooting quality reloads or new ammo.
Point taken. I guess I really mean I will need a bunch of rounds to break me in for the new gun and new caliber. I figure I'll probably "plink" with it for a thousand rounds or so before I get seriously engaged in finding the right load and focusing on accuracy.

#11 ·
I do not use brass of unconfirmed origin in MY 10mm pistols.

GWB nailed it, 10mm is a high pressure pistol cartridge.

A loose chambered barrel, glock smiles, will cause a lot of stretching in the web area of the brass.

A bulge buster makes the outside of the brass appear correct but the brass still has a thinner weaker section inside.

If that thin spot winds up in the unsupported section of a barrel the brass may rupture.

This doesn't happen every time or it may never happen but it is a risk I choose to eliminate in MY 10mm reloads.

I load my NUCLEAR Glock loads in Starline Nickel brass so I have a clear visual reference to NOT run those in my Delta Elite.

I don't download my 10mm loads.

#13 ·
Denver,
PM me your address.
I have a couple of hundred once fired Starlines that have been filtered out of a barrel of brass I picked up at a local gun manufacturers test range. They test only with new ammo, so I know the source well. (My son is a gunsmith that once worked for them).
I would be happy to send that along to you, otherwise I will wind up scrapping it.

#14 ·
You have been given a lot of goog advice here.

"Once fired brass" is something that I generally stay away from. Unless I am the one doing the "once fired". Some of it is good and some is not.

#15 ·
Denver,you will save a lot of money, you will be able to reload 10s for about the same as a 40.I shoot some lead out of mine right now and some good plated and it will cost you around 10 cents for the bullet 3 to 4 cents for the primer and about the same for the powder at the most, so for around 16-20 cents per round depending on what bullet you choose its the way to go for 10mm. If you choose premium bullets like a Hornady hp or equal then your cost will go to 30-40 cents a round.

#16 ·
Starline brass becomes available periodically. Some vendors allow you to sign up to receive email notification when they receive the product...

Hornady HAP projectiles are a slightly more affordable premium alternative to most jacketed offerings, especially when buying bulk quantities.

#21 ·
Thanks to all who have helped! The advice is much appreciated. Griz44 sent me some brass ... and bullets ... on his dime! Hope I can pay it forward soon. Another forum member sold me some he had in excess at a good price. And I'm for the group buy with Earl. I should be all set! Again, what a great community we have.

#25 ·
I do not use brass of unconfirmed origin in MY 10mm pistols.

GWB nailed it, 10mm is a high pressure pistol cartridge.

A loose chambered barrel, glock smiles, will cause a lot of stretching in the web area of the brass.

A bulge buster makes the outside of the brass appear correct but the brass still has a thinner weaker section inside.

If that thin spot winds up in the unsupported section of a barrel the brass may rupture.
++!

This is very important to keep in mind with the 10mm, especially the part about the pass-thru sizing dies not curing the problem of "Glocked" brass.

As for using the 10mm solely with low velocity plinking loads, well.....I guess it's been done before. It's amazing how many folks buy .44 magnums and then shoot only .44 Special or lighter ammo thru them exclusively(????). Whatever rocks your boat I guess. It must be a prestige thing for most.

Bruce

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.