1911Forum banner

I sold my last plastic gun today

4K views 61 replies 53 participants last post by  WalterGC 
#1 ·
HK45 to pay off a SACS build.

Nothing but steel and alloy guns and revolvers now.

I feel no remorse.

#40 ·
I started selling off anything that wasn't coming out of the safe for range trips. Not surprised that soon most of the plastic guns were gone, and even a few steel. The collection started getting a decided bias towards 1911's. However, the FiveSeven stays. Very plastic, but definitely nothing that looks like a 1911 will ever shoot that caliber, and I really like it.

#42 ·
-too big for CCW
-don't like the SA/DA trigger
-only held 10 rounds despite being huge

It didn't do anything better than any of my 1911s and I probably shot it four or five times since I bought it 2 years ago.

#45 ·
Well I have literally owned every HK pistol model except a VP70, P9, and the HK 4. Oh yeah and a USP elite too. They are great guns and many models have very narrow uses for sure. I have sold many of them lately because I love the 1911. Most of what I have sold are doubles or rare colored frame model which folks do indeed go nuts for I've discovered. But the classics like my P7M13, HK45T, USP Expert, and Mark 23 (my bed stand gun) will never be sold. I've been able to pre pay for a Springfield Professional 1911 and a Les Baer concept 4 so far with some of my earnings. But I also stuck with th HK name and got a MR762 rifle. From now on for me anyways I will be primarily using a 1911. Other wise whatever pistol I own will have HK on it. I just shoot the 1911's much better. Except for I would run my MARK 23 against any thing out there. The gun is just sickly accurate.

#49 ·
I shoot either 1911's or HK's the overwhelming majority of the time - and with the HK's I prefer the USP platform.

Nearly all of my HD / SD handguns are 1911's but I am equally comfortable with a HK.

To each his own. However I am still surprised at posts on the respective Forums (1911 or HK) about the unreliability of these respective platforms, probably more so with the 1911, which is arguably the most battle tested handgun out there.

#53 ·
Wait a minute here... I remember a thread asking what two handguns would you grab out the door in a SHTF scenario. 80% had one Glock as the second gun. I have a Glock 17 with three HiCaps. Don't shoot it much because of my love for the 1911 feel and performance. It's a keeper, damn fine gun, had it since 1995. By the way my answer was my S&W 686 plus 357 Magnum and my Springfield TRP 45.

#54 ·
I have a mixture of both,The last gun i bought a couple of weeks ago was a Ruger GP100 3" SS..Traded a Rossi 38spl revolver that i never really liked.Its sure is nice to not have to get down on my hands and knees and try to round up my brass for reloading.

#55 ·
+1 to nlvmike's post.

It made me think about something that's happened in the last year that I hadn't stopped and given too much thought to. I've gradually sold off all my polymer pistols (LCP, LC9, XDM Compact) except one----------an M&P .22 cal.

As an official member of the Geezer Club (71 y/o) who does not want to give up my range trips and concealed carry habit, I've slowly returned to where I started from 35 years ago-------all steel guns.

I now carry concealed either a Colt New Agent .45 ACP, or a SIG P938 9mm, depending on what I'm wearing.

I know most of you will probably think this will never happen to you, but as you get older and keep hanging around guns, recoil and fun become more important to you.

As we all know, if for whatever reason you won't shoot and practice with it, it'll soon become a paper weight.

YMMV.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.