1911Forum banner

Wilson Combat Accu-Tac Flash Hider

9K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  WhyteP38 
#1 ·
Just a quick question that may help others:

I recently bought a new Recon Tactical fluted 18" 556 barrel, gas block, gas tube, and Accu-Tac Flash Hider from Wilson Combat.

The installation video on YouTube says to discard the crush washer as you do not need to "time" or "index" this flash suppressor.

What confused me about that is the fact that Wilson included a crush waster with the flash hider.

So.. Anyone know what the real answer to this is? Do you need to index it, can you just twist it on and tighten it without concern? Or is it just included and optional?

#6 · (Edited)
With only 15 to 20lb of torque needed you still have a limited amount of indexing you can use a crush washer for. They were never designed to turn up to 460* as I have read on some treads unless torgue levels go threw the ceiling. So get on your wrench and lay into it if you need 260* to index. OR use a few washers designed for the job. . Thankfully most just need to be snugged up

I this case no indexing needed . I would use the crush washer and set at 15 ft lbs. or a lock tite product. Crush washers have been around far longer than AR's.

#7 ·
Use "peel" washers for indexing compensators. Use "shim" washers for indexing combo flash hider-silencer mounts. Use "crush" washers, or either of the above, to eliminate gaps between flash hider and bbl step. Or use no washer at all if none of the above is needed.

#11 ·
I'd be stunned if you see an accuracy improvement with anybody's flash hider. I've never installed a flash hider that couldn't be properly secured and indexed using a crush washer. There might be some devices that require 800* of rotation for indexing, but I doubt it ;).

#15 ·
A muzzle device will generally affect gases exiting the muzzle, and the device's weight can also affect the barrel's harmonics (or so I've read). In support of this, Mini-14s/30s are known to benefit from different muzzle devices.

I couldn't say whether any particular muzzle device makes any difference, and whether that difference is enough to be significant, so I'm not endorsing anyone's product. However, I can see how it is possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.