1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Q: Are all Springfield 1911 madein Brazil? A: NO

69K views 47 replies 27 participants last post by  LW McVay 
#1 ·
So When I do research here online to find out if springfield 1911s are all made in brazil, I get different answers all the time from folks here. So I decided to call Springfield Armory (Twice. just to make sure) earlier today, and both representative I talked to said that NOT all SA 1911s are made or manufactured in Brazil. and told me that Serial number prefix I.e . NM or N etc.. doesn't mean anything. If the 1911 have a 'Made in Brazil' sign by the serial number it means it is made in brazil. If a 1911 have Genesio IL USA on the side of the frame by the serial number and have a 'Imbel' sign under the dust cover and/or by the right side grip of the gun, It means 51% or more parts of the gun are made in brazil and assembled here in the US of A. If it only said Genesio IL and no marking of 'Imbel' anywhere on the frame, it means that it is made and assembled here by SA custom shop. small parts are ordered from different places. barrel are by storm lake.
I just thought I'd share with you guys especially for the guys who still unsure where their SA 1911s are made from.

Lucky me both of my MC Operator and Mil-spec are made and assembled here in the U.S. its funny that both of my Springer 1911 have the same Prefix serial number which is.... "NM" :D

#5 ·
I can understand to a degree why some people are upset about sending jobs overseas, outsourcing, and etc.

I never bought American cars before the economy took a crap, and nowdays I just feel better about keeping somebody working here than in Croatia where the polymers are made. The U.S. built 1911s cost the same, function the same, and look the same as the Brazilian built 1911s, so I really don't care.

If you're a diehard for American products, you should be buying Rugers...:biglaugh:

#9 ·
That is funny, people getting bothered by that - go check where the forges for Nighthawk, Dan Wesson, .... comes from - Korea?

S&A gives you lifetime warranty on their guns, and their customer service is second to none on the 1911 world.

#18 ·
I hope you know that when you go direct to the source and get definitive, credible answers, it really ruins the speculative BS revelry that makes the internet a wondrous refuge of baseless pontification.

Sayin'. ;)
:rofl:

One of these two statements is true:

• There are no facts on the internet.
  • Everything is a fact on the internet.

#12 ·
Springfield-Made in Brazil??

The problem I have is that Springfield does not disclose the fact that some of their frames, pistols or combination thereof could possibly be made in Brazil. For example I look at every picture they have on their website and all of their 1911’s have the “Geneseo, IL” stamp on them. Not one of them has the words “Brazil” or “Imbel”. I find this very strange. If the men and women at Springfield are truly proud of their work and stand by their products then why not let their hard working customers know that it is possible that the 1911 they are about to buy might have been made somewhere else other than the US?

This fact is nowhere to be found on their website. The fact that one has to call them to attain this information is very disheartening. Is this due to deceptive business practices or false marketing/advertising? I am not sure but I know that one thing…if I go to a company’s website and see a picture of a product that I am thinking about buying and on that product it has a U.S. city and state stamped on it then I expect that product to be made in the U.S. unless otherwise stated on their website. This makes me believe they want to show the public one thing and ship their customer another.

#13 · (Edited)
The fact is it really doesnt matter and they have no obligation to tell you where certain parts are made or where the metals from. Its not deceptive or dishonest in any way. Anyone making it out to be something that its not needs to let it go. Your not an "all 'merican" because you tout to buying only american made. The fact of the matter, regardless of whether or not you want to hear it, is a lot of people would bitch and moan about the higher cost associated with all american made parts AND many MANY things made outside this country are just as high if not higher quaility than things made in the USA.

#14 ·
I`m afraid your idea that corporations have no obligation to disclose where their products and parts are made shows a lack of knowledge on your part. There are all kinds of laws governing imports and especially firearms and the disclosure of where they are made and how much content can be foreign. Guns happen to be highly regulated, as they should. Are you saying citizens have no right to ask where products are produced. Many corporations have been deceptive in the way they disclose content to the public but that will be coming to a end sooner than later. `

#21 ·
If the 1911 have a 'Made in Brazil' sign by the serial number it means it is made in brazil.

If a 1911 have Genesio IL USA on the side of the frame by the serial number and have a 'Imbel' sign under the dust cover and/or by the right side grip of the gun, It means 51% or more parts of the gun are made in brazil and assembled here in the US of A.
So what does it mean when my gun has ALL of them?

And what does S.I. mean?

#25 ·
Only Americans know how to make a decent gun. Everybody knows that :hrm:

#28 ·
I wouldn't think twice about buying another Springfield 1911 if I needed one. I've had a good experience with my Kimber (too bad they don't back them for life), a good experience with my Ruger 1911 (which I sold as it's NOT made as well as a Kimber or even an IMBEL SA. Cast receiver - no thanks.

I've also have a Taurus PT 1911 9mm that I bought used for learning to reload (in case I blew it up :) ). That gun functions very well and is made very well. It's just not finished as well as the others. That didn't stop me from buying a Taurus .45 which I sold to a friend who wanted a reasonable 1911.

#36 ·
According to the ATF, the top end guns legally count as being made in America, but they were still forged in Brazil. They shipped from Brazil as pieces of metal, then in America they were machined into frames, therefore the ATF says they're American made.

#39 ·
Im still confused as to why it matters (aside form the obvious turn off to some people because its not made in the USA/is stamped brazil). A certain grade of forged metal is the same regardless of where its done and last i checked mills arent magically superior here in the US. As long as springfield keeps up and holds to their standards on things they import how does the parts origin determine quality (in this case anyway)? Its funny how some poeple are dead set on such a foolish thought when it comes to certain things but never apply the same logic to other things they buy. Since i know some people are thinking it, you arent more american if the things you buy are made in america.

#43 · (Edited)
Yeah, i know some people wont buy something simply because its not US made but what i dont understand is why. Theres never any rationality behind it. Like ive said, if you think it makes you more of an american thats laughable. Your example of buying only american made cars is also laughable at best. Yeah, theyre assembled (sometimes) in the US but do you honestly believe all the parts are made in america? If so, youre just clueless. In a lot of cases a "foreign" car like a honda is just as much US made as a ford or chevy. My girlfriend just bought a 2012 civic and guess what, the motor was made in the US, the body in canada, and the transmission in japan. Guess what, it gets better gas mileage, has better resale over the long and short term, parts are easier to find and cheaper, plus it had far more to offer in features than any american car in its price range. Do you buy electronics based on where they are made? If so you must not own much since most of its not made in the US and if it is im willing to bet its not the best option. Do you even understand the economics behind buying a foreign made item sold by a US company versus the same item made by the company itself? If making items in the states was so much better for companies nobody would outsource work. They do it because its cheaper and they can still get the same quality items for less (assuming they regulate what they consider acceptable). If ?US companies were as closed minded as some US consumers the country would be far worse off than it is. At one point in time having US made items was a huge plus but in the world today it doesnt hold as much ater as it used to.

#45 · (Edited)
Yep

I work with a guy who hates foreign cars and he has a newer car from an american automaker (we live in the Detroit area). The funny thing is that despite his die hard attitude, his car is less american than many "foreign" cars on the market.

Youre still supporting a US company whether you buy a product that they made or hade made for them. Thats all that really matters. In a lot of cases youre helping them more when the product is foreign since it cost them less which gives them a larger profit margin and the ability to still pass those savings on to the consumer (i know that doesnt always happen but in most cases it does or buying US made would cost the same as buying foreign made which in most cases it doesnt).

People overlook the obvious problems with the economy in the US and want to blame other countries for it. Getting all wannabe american badass as a consumer isnt going to make the US able to compete with foreign countries. Youre mad at the rest of the world because for the cost of the raw materials alone to make a part here in the US, china can make said part into a high quality usable item and still have money left over? Please, get your head on straight and think about the real issues.

You may think youre all high and mighty but the fact is that in this point in time a lot of the countries we towered economically over dont even want to waste their money/time expanding into the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.