1911Forum banner

Soon to be Ed Brown owner

2K views 33 replies 10 participants last post by  jst1mortym 
#1 ·
Finally found a deal on gunsamerica. I will be getting a Kobra Carry (used) for 1400. For being used, would you say that is a fair price? I very excited and my wife, not so much, haha. Pics soon to come....

#4 ·
Sounds like a good deal. But +1 on what the gentlemen from Kentucky stated. The laser etching roll marks had a change a few years back, so if older than say 2009 or 08 - (or serial numbers before 5000-ish) you may see Kobra Carry in bigger / different font and on the right side if memory recalls. Same gun quality just a slightly different look is all. Congrats!

#14 · (Edited)
Good question I know when I joined some 3 years ago, and was searching for "the right Brown" - I asked the same question as the majority I saw on GB and other auctions sights had what is now the "old" etching. So my own guess is late 2008 or 2009. My gun which is S/N 55xx has the "new" etching and I received that in Mar 2009-ish.

Examine the wear - yes. Cosmetic defects will tell it was rode hard (carried). Look at the feed ramp (shiny/smooth) and I would glance down the barrel - should also be shiny and you should be able to see the rifling - a bore light is a good tool in case you have access to one. Dirty doesnt bother me too much unless its like 4 years worth of caked on dirt. I'd also look at the extractor see if there is excessive wear. The slide stop area for the same - perhaps some peening when at slide lock - that could be "normal' for a commander. Cracks would be an obvious problem. I'd invest in a new set of springs either from Brown or Wolfe (Recoil, Mainspring and firing pin). If its oozing oil or wet - always a good sign too in my book.

#18 · (Edited)
No sir it does not. If you not used to the 1911 platform itself, then investing in some literature or Brown's Bench CD is worth the money. Your should get some very minimal tools (although not fully required) Such as an armor's tool, and a punch set.

But the best tool is the book and/or learning material (not you tube vidoes as your primary source). Brown's CD is what I would purchaes and all the springs from him this first time around. Makes it easiest and a one-stop-shop.

Everyone "should" learn to take down their pistol all the way. You "must" learn to field strip it for cleaning purposes. If you treat this gun like your lawn mower then you will not have fun.

Oh invest in magazines - you gun may or may not like a certain brand. They arent cheap - my commander likes Wilson 47D's 8 rounders.

#19 · (Edited)
Give Justin a call at Ed Brown. He is great guy. Tell him what you bought and ask him what he suggests. Tell him what your thinking too, he will take care of you. Yes Brown will do just about anything you may want them to do, but take the time to learn this 101 year old design. Its not a simple platform. And its certainly not a Glock.

Thsi forum is a great place to learn and ask questions - some really smart, experienced and helpful folks here - and now that your in the club - you will enjoy - even though you are in NJ. :biglaugh:

#22 ·
I been in NJ for almost 5 years now, I'm originally from TX. I'm familiar with the 1911 platform, I have a few Kimbers, the only thing I replaced so far on a 1911 is the recoil spring and grips. It certainly not a Glock, which is our duty weapon about to switch to S&W MPs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.