1911Forum banner

Does this Barrel look normal?

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  taseal 
#1 ·
Was hoping for some insight here... I just bought a pt1911 from our local big gunshow this weekend. $585 plus tax, Blued version. Not too bad of a price I don't think. I haven't shot it yet but tore in down for initial cleaning and inspecting and noticed that the barrel looks to be "Off-centered?" The left side of the throating looks to be real thin and slightly dented and the right side has a small chip in it. Also the looking from the angle of the first picture, does anyone see what I'm talking about? The top of the barrel seams to be off centered. I sent the barrel in to Taurus in Miami. I live in Central florida and when I called they said that they had the barrels in stock and would only take around 10 days to ship me a new one.
I was just wondering if anyone else barrel looks like this and is it supposed to be off centered or did I get a bad one? Thanks!

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Yeah, I sent the barrel back to taurus Miami. They're going to send me a replacement. Hopefully they take the time to look over this one before just throwing it in a box. I've heard alot of good things about the taurus pt1911 and it seems like the only ones that bash it are ones who wouldn't own it. heh... go figure. I just wanted a 1911 that was a work horse and could get scratched up and It wouldn't matter. As long as it shoots good and accurate. Can't wait to get it to the range. If it's reliable as people say.... I'll be looking for a decent leather holster.

#5 ·
Well, they sent a new barrel and guess what... It doesn't fit! It doesn't look any better than the first one either. When placing the barrel on the receiver, it doesn't seat all the way back. So I'm thinking maybe it's just a little tight and needs some breaking in. I tried to assemble the gun and now the slide is locked shut. I asked taurus if they needed the whole gun to fit the barrel. They said NO. They sent me a barrel that does not fit. I refuse to pay another shipping fee to this company. I want a refund for my purchase. I paid cash american dollars for a gun that is supposed to work and I got crap. I paid shipping cost and waited 2 weeks. I got back nothing but crap. It seams like Taurus just wants to push the bad parts out the door and get on to the next customer. I don't want a new pt1911. I wish I would have got the springfield milspec for 80 bucks more. All I can say is... If you own a taurus pt1911 and it runs good. Good for you. Take a good look at the barrel though. Especially the throating of the barrel. It is weak, thin and they will replace it if it breaks, but good luck with what they send you.! I should have trusted my instinct on this one and never bought a taurus. You get what you pay for my friends....

#6 ·
I checked mine over good before I bought it, but a lot of places will not let you strip something before you buy it , if I cant check it out good I'll get it somewhere else .
about the 2nd barrel, did it come with the link installed? the link pin may be binding on the frame, if it's not flush with the sides of the barrel or it may have a burr from being staked in, a few swipes of a file can sometimes cure this .

#8 ·
I think you are right. It looks like the link IS in fact binding against the frame. I thought about grinding it down and checking the fit but I don't want to do anything to void the warranty. In other words, I don't want to give Taurus ANY excuse to not fix the problem correctly. It didn't say, "Some gunsmithing knowledge required" on the box. I'm smart enough to know what the problem is but I'm also smart enough to know that they should be smarter than me as a firearm manufacturer. When I see problems that a so called professional company cannot see, I tend to think that they just don't care as much as they should. Thanks for the info...

#7 ·
That's too bad. I have 5 PT 1911's and am getting ready to get my sixth. They all work well for me. None of my barrels look off center but the ramp is thin like yours. Since they did not get it right the first time, send the whole gun back. Let them know before you send it that what they sent you does not fit and ask them to send Fed Ex to your home to pick up the whole, assembled gun. Write a letter describing the problem and send the whole gun in. Who ever told you they don't need the whole gun is wrong. Taurus will pay shipping on the second run. Don't be dismayed, they will fix it. Did I mention to send the whole gun?

#9 ·
I asked about sending the whole gun and the representative on the phone insisted that all I needed to send was the barrel as all taurus models are made to a certain spec. So it wouldn't matter. You live and learn. When it comes to 1911s, they need to be fitted precisely. My pt1911 would have never left the factory with that barrel on it. There is no way they could have put it together without it malfunctioning. I'm beginning to see how this operation works. Take it for what it is. Send a part back and they are in the dark as far as replacement parts. I shouldn't have to grind ANYTHING on a brand new ANYTHING that cost 650 bucks. Thats just my opinion.

#10 ·
I shouldn't have to wait 3 months of shipping back and forth to pull a trigger on a 1911. My RIA was a much better pistol at a cheaper price. It was accurate as all hell. I'm not trying to bash Taurus, but this is my experience. If you want one. I would say buy a Springfield instead. I can see a 100 dollar difference in the barrel alone. Can anyone disagree with that?

#12 ·
I won't attempt fitting the barrel with my knowledge. I'm going to call Taurus monday morning. I did ask them about sending the whole gun and they said, "Just sent the barrel, it will fit" I'm just going to write them a nice letter and request a whole new gun. Now the receiver and slide is probably marred up from the barrel they sent. I'll be happy if they send me a gun that functions. My opinion of Taurus is all riding on customer support at this point. I understand that every manufacturer is going to have a lemon. It's all a matter of making it right. If I have to wait 2 months for a new one, I'm not going to be very happy about it.
I guess I could watch videos and learn how to fit a 1911 barrel properly to a slide and receiver but I just don't have the time. At this point I just want a gun that goes Bang.

#20 ·
Alright, here's the deal. I checked the status and it was repaired today. They didn't replace the whole gun like I asked them to but just the barrel. It ships out today and will arrive tomorrow afternoon delivered to my house. I'm actually suprised they didn't replace the whole gun, but if the damn thing works like it's supposed to, who cares right? I bought it for reliability and something I wouldn't care if it got scratched up. She will be here tomorrow, I'll post some pictures when it comes in. Hell, I might even shoot the damn thing this year if ammo prices stop climbing!!! :mummy:

#24 ·
Glad it all worked out. I would say that an experience like that would confirm that Taurus really needs to step it up in both QC and Customer Service. That never should have made it through QC to begin with and CS should have known to tell you to send the entire gun back the first time. These are both issues that their new CEO had promised to fix. I really enjoy my PT1911 and still think it represents a great value, however I can understand that that value may diminish to an owner that experiences these types of issues.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.