1911Forum banner

Shoulder rig for Conceiled carry?

4K views 29 replies 23 participants last post by  Pianoman178 
#1 ·
does anyone have any experience with a shoulder rig for concealed carry, and able to suggest any good rigs for a larger framed person? it would be worn under a leather vest or a jacket/coat.

#2 · (Edited)
I had a Serpa CQC

from blackhawk. I first bought the holster which comes with a paddle or a belt slide, then I went and bought the shoulder rig, the holster transfers from paddle to belt to shoulder, with 3 screws easy.
Paddle and shoulder rig are comfortable but I still didn't like it and have been IWB for last 5-6 months which is way better for me.
You said large frame, Point of reference I'm 6'3" and 240lbs.

Edit:
one of my buddies bought a leather galco shoulder holster and after a week was still wearing it He's 5'6" and 275lbs.
I don't know if he still likes it.

#6 ·
BINGO. I've used the Miami Classic and Miami Classic II for years and refuse to even look at anything else. I have a rig for 1911's, Beretta 92's, Glocks, Browning HP. and I use a Galco VHS shoulder system for my FN 5-7

#7 ·
I have a Galco knock off horizontal, . . . and a muzzle down.

I like both, . . . prefer the Galco knock off, . . . sometimes wear it under a short sleeve snap front Western shirt. It's a little slower than IWB, . . . but I don't need a cover garment, . . . and there is absolutely nothing to give away that I have a full size 1911 under one arm, . . . 18 rds of .45 ACP under the other one.

I just finished making a special USMC branded double shoulder rig for a local retired Marine. He intends to carry his full size and a commander for his Chicago reload. :biglaugh:

May God bless,
Dwight

#8 ·
I have an El Paso Saddlery rig for my Colt Commander.

It works fine. With the twin mag holder it balances out pretty well. But lately I am getting lazier and just using an inside the waistband rig from Don Hume.

#11 ·
I bought an Alessi "Fieldmaster" shoulder holster to conceal a 6" SW .44 magnum. The holster is vertical, but pivots, making it easy to draw from concealment. The harness is comfortable, and doesn't have the prominent cross straps, which make concealment difficult.

The same harness is used for horizontal carry with 2" revolvers and short pistols, and butt-down carry for larger pistols. The holster can be easily swapped out.

#12 ·
Check out the "Jackass" rig from Galco. It's the same basic idea as the Miami Classic, but hangs more diagonally. I used to carry my Commander in it when I'd go to the lake and it conceals fine over a t-shirt, and under an unbuttoned XL over shirt.;)

One of my fishing buddies used to look me over every time we went out to see if he could figure out if I was carrying, and where it was on my body. The first time I used the Jackass rig, he gave me the once-over, and with a puzzled look, said "I guess you're not packing". A couple of hours later, we were loading up the gear to go back to town and my shirt open up a little, exposing the rig. He was shocked and asked me when I had put it on, and I told him I was wearing it the entire time.:biglaugh:

#13 ·
My system for motorcycle riding, driving, walking, squatting, bending, jumping, sitting on the toilet, and EVERYTHING else I do is the Galco Miami Classic II shoulder holster. I've worn it every day for the past five years. Once you get used to it, it's like it's not even there. It makes complying with the first rule of gunfighting (Have a gun) comfortable and effortless.

For some reason I can't log onto Galco's website tonight, so here's another link...
http://www.amazon.com/Galco-Classic...HHII/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1313795959&sr=8-4

I carry my Glock 21 in it, and with the two extra mags, I've got 39 rounds of instantly available .45 ammo. I cover it with a Levi Jean Jacket with the sleeves cut off, or an unbuttoned flannel shirt with the sleeves cut off. I prefer the black leather, because it doesn't show sweat stains.

You get what you pay for, and the Miami Classic II is absolutely worth the money. You will not be disappointed.

#19 ·
seem to lean towards the Miami Classic or the Jackass, i do like the look of both, they seem to look comfortable, im just not sure cuz im pretty big. 5 11' 290, and i tend to have issues with thing fitting due to really broad shoulders and a thick chest. But a belt holster is out of the question, i cant wear belts.

#21 ·
One of my friends is bigger than you, and readjusted my Jackass rig to fit him very comfortably. I don't think you'll have a sizing problem, should you decide to chose one of the two.

FWIW, the harness on the Jackass is made of suede, and is slightly more comfortable than the Miami Classic Spider Harness.:)

#27 ·
Andrews "Monarch" horizontal shoulder rig. I have tried most all of them and it works the best for me. The thing you want to look for the most is wide harness straps to distribute the weight of the pistol and spare mags.

Second and more important to me is where the front strap attachment point is located. Most holster locate the attachment point to far to the rear. Most are over the trigger. I prefer the location to be more towards the center line of the magazine well. That keeps the pistol from tipping down and away from your hand when reaching for it, it also helps in supporting the weight of the pistol better.

I have tried Blackhawk, Blade-Tech, Uncle Mike's, and several other cheaper holsters. Never tried the Miami Classic due to the thin strap widths. The best one I ever had was a Bianchi " the Scorpian"(sp) sadly it's been discontinued for many years. The Monarch is the closest thing I have found to the Bianchi Rig.

#30 ·
I asked a question in the Holsters section a couple weeks ago about shoulder holsters. A lot of people seem to really like the Galco Jackass and Miami style.

I ordered a Galco CC hip-holster and have to say it is very high quality. I don't think you could go wrong with Galco.

I ended up getting an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster, but my intent was not for concealed carry. I use it for hunting and traipsing through the woods. I wouldn't recommend it for concealed carry either...it is quite large and noticeable. Also, it doesn't have room for extra magazines opposite the gun.

-Piano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.