1911Forum banner

Rock Island CCW holster, Ammo, Mag.

9K views 29 replies 17 participants last post by  RichT 
#1 ·
I just bought a Rock Island 1911, 3 1/2", 45 Cal. Any idea of a good CCW holster for the RIA? Is there a certain kinda ammo I need to shoot thru it? How about a extra magazine brand? Thanks.

#2 ·
Congratulations on the new RIA.
Just about any 1911 Officers size holster will work and for that matter a commander and govt size will usually hold a officers size without too many problems. I carry my Citadel 3 1/2 inch in a DL Bullard OWB pancake style and it is nice and comfortable, draws great and reholsters just fine also, but a little on the expensive side. Really there are tons of holsters out there. No certain ammo, I think you would have to look hard to find something this gun won't chamber reliablely and get the best magazines you can afford or order some direct from Armscor or Citadel.

#3 ·
Congratulations on joining the Rockpile and also on choosing an officers-sized Rock. You didn't mention if it was the GI or the Tactical version of the pistol but some things work for both. I am assuming this is your first 1911 so please spend some time and at least 300-400 rounds getting used to the feel of the gun and getting it broken-in. These things like to have their parts get to know each other a little and shooters need to get used to the feel and short sight radius of the smaller slabsides. Holsters are a very personal thing and there is no one answer for what to hang on your side. If you are going for maximum concealment then an Inside Waist Band (IWB) holster should be your choice. For carry under a coat, jacket or untucked shirt you might want an Outside Waist Band (OWB) holster but make sure the garment is long enough to completely hide your gun in all circumstances. I personally use a Bianchi Alusion IWB that's a mix of leather and polymer for my CS but the next guy will have his own favorite. Most all of us Rockheads have a closet shelf-full of holsters for different kinds of use or that we decided didn't meet our needs anymore. You will need compact-sized magazines (6-round) for concealed carry though any capacity single-stack 1911 magazine can be used for range work. The ACT-mags from Armscor are good as are several prominent names. Don't cheap-out on mags; their reliability may save your life and some are pure crap. I am also assuming that you have a .45 ACP caliber pistol but the same advice also applies to 9mm guns also.
The most important thing is to practice shooting your gun so you know what it feels like when it's working and have developed a good ability for hitting the target. I assume you have had your Concealed Carry class also but if there is an advanced techniques class available sign up for it also. The basic instruction is just that; basic. There is a lot more to carrying a gun than just knowing the laws in your state. You will be a lot more informed and effective with some advanced training.
Again, welcome to the Rockpile and keep on asking questions, just also let us know how you progress with your new Rock.

#4 ·
Thanks very much for all the info. I have had my CCW here in California for almost 2 years. I carry a Springfield Armory sub compact 40 cal. I have shot around 800 rounds thru it. I will be running a lot of ammo thru the 1911 RIA 45 cal also. I loved the 1911 after I shot one at the range that a guy wanted me to shoot. I also have a 22 cal 1911 to shoot just for fun. I have a IWB and OWB holsters for the Springfield. I also have a carry belt that makes it a lot more stable. I will keep asking questions and be ready to learn more.

#5 ·
your doing it backwords.

First, you shoot the gun, and figure out what ammo it prefers.
Then try with several different brand of mags(although, I do like ACT it comes with, some reported better luck with others.

Then, only after reliability of your CCW is established, then you look for a holsters

#7 ·
Steven kelly at kellygunleather makes a great pancake holster called the outlaw , i carry a ria compact almost daily in this and is great ...

#8 ·
I realize that this may not hold true for everyone and or every gun, but in my 30 years of carrying and shooting 1911's, I would bet dollars to donuts that Wilson magazines will run flawlessly for you. Magazines are the last place you should look to save a buck.

#11 ·
Holster: White hat, or any Hybrid on the market. Best IWB set up you can get. OWB: I carry in a serpa because of the retention. Just my .02. Mag? Mine only likes ACT's. I haven't tried wilsons yet, but CMC was a no go for me. Ammo? For the break in, it should be FMJ 230 grain Ball ammo. Should. Now, I threw some Winchester PDX in there too, and didn't have trouble, and trusted it after the first 250 rounds... Anyway ... Hope this helps! And Welcome to the forum!

#30 ·
holster advice

Hi, kind of new on here. Could not find a way to put up new post, so thought I would try this and see if anyone responds.

Bought a new RIA 1911 A1 CS tactical, with optic front sights and rail. I need to find a CC holster for it. Have an older Galco which fits the gun, but too short, barrel sticks out about 3/4", and snags the front sight when unholstering.

Based on what I read here, I bought a Bianchi 58 PI, that is supposed to fit the Colt Commander size. It does not fit the RI. Way too tight. I will keep it because it does fit my new Springfield Range Officer Champion.

I don't like Kydex, and I don't want the barrel beyond the end of the holster. Want a nice OWB leather, but not too pricey as my budget is tight. Would like something under say 80 bucks.

Any suggestions. Again, the ones made for the Colt, or Glock, or SA, do not seem to fit this gun. Maybe it's the rail, or the barrel/slide is just too big??
Thanks in advance for all the advice, comments. Also, if anyone can tell me how to put up a new post, I would appreciate it. Supposed to be an icon or tab for new posts, but not present on my page at all???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.