1911Forum banner

WWII Colt 1911A1 Original or not

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 ·
Question,
I am wondering if a Colt with "RIA" stamped under the serial number on the left side of the frame (without EB or FK anywhere) has merely been inspected by Rock Island Arsenal and not a rebuild? The serial puts it in the beginning of 1945(No 17298xx). With just a bit of reading about arsenal rebuilds...an accompanying EB or FK should be found on the firearm if it has been rebuilt? On this pistol neither of those stamping s can be found.

The serial is also interesting. It has some sort of paint or something to highlight the number. A few flakes have come off and you can clearly see the metal beneath from the stamping...which means it was stamped after the finishing process. Any thoughts...becasue I am NOT an expert...just a grasshopper learning the ropes. :hrm:

#2 ·
Colt M1911A1 serial numbers were stamped before the finishing process, not after. The white paint you see is something a lot of folks used to do to better highlight markings when taking pictures or displaying at a show. Nowadays that practice is discouraged because it hides important details in the markings.

You are correct however that the presense of an arsenal rebuild stamp doesn't automatically indicate a refinish. However you'll need to look at the other clues to be able to say, and of course with white gunk inside the markings your job is going to be a lot tougher. I suggest posting some decent pictures here so that others can weigh in with their opinions. Often you can tell whether it's original finish or not just by looking at it.

#3 · (Edited)
RIA is the arsenal stamp (Rock Island Arsenal); so it had some work done there. A 1945 Colt with your serial number should have the GHD acceptance mark next to the magazine release. The G.H.D. are the initials for Guy H. Drewry, the Springfield Ordnace District Army Ispector of Ordnance for June 17, 1942 to July 15, 1945.

#6 ·
The pictures aren't the best, but from what I can see there's no reason to believe it isn't the original finish.

#9 ·
So if RIA is the arsenal stamp (Rock Island Arsenal), do you guys feel that this was merely inspected by them and not rebuilt after the war or was it inspected as part of the acceptance during WWII? So is this to be considered original or since RIA is stamped on the frame it is considered a rearsenaled firearm?

#10 ·
Well, no. RIA is not the acceptance mark. It means only that the pistol was tuned in for evaluation and was deemed fit for service. Its part of the history of the pistol. Most collectors would not want it there since it will always beg the rebuild question. But for someone wanting to get a good price on what looks to be a great Colt, the RIA is a good thing. It may be original, but there's no way for us to tell if the barrel or any other parts may have been replaced. But it does look like RIA signed off without refinishing. So yes, it does mean the pistol was sent to Rock Island.

#12 ·
While others may think otherwise, personally I feel the RIA stamp has only a minor effect on value given that the Parkerized finish is likely original. It simply was turned in, given a clean bill of health at RIA, stamped, and told to move on. I used to have a 1941 brushed blue Colt that also had RIA's stamp on it, although in my case it also had the FK marking. I had little trouble selling it (and really, really wish I hadn't!).

#17 ·
Anything with substantial original finish remaining should not be shot. Use the refinished mixmasters for the gun range but save what remains of the original-finish examples.

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.