1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Devil Dog Colt RG

4K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  dsk 
#1 · (Edited)
The Marine Corps Times says Colt sent the RG to Quantico to try out for the MARSOC M45 Close Quarter Battle Pistol contract.

“Colt tweaked its 01070RG rail gun pistol and sent 10 prototypes to Quantico in the fall, said Greg Rozon, a product development engineering manager at Colt.

The civilian 1911 rail gun usually has a stainless steel finish and rosewood grips, but Colt’s prototypes for the Corps have a desert-color Cercoat finish, eliminating glare on the weapon and making it less identifiable at a distance. They also have more stainless steel internal components to reduce corrosion. They’re equipped with a popular night sight made by Novak of Parkersburg, W.Va. It utilizes tritium, a radioactive form of hydrogen, to power the optic, which is mounted on a Picatinny rail”.

A Series 80 pistol in the USMC? Has the world ended as we know it?

A pic of the Devil Dog Colt RG is in post #3, thanks to Jeremy18.

redoubt

#4 ·
They did say "prototypes" - I would wager that they were spec'd by the USMC as Series 70s for commonality of training and parts supply with exisiting 1911s that are still in use by the Corps. But it is "modern times", so, we'll wait and see - the "drop safe" 1911 may be a necessary modern selling point against the plastic wonderguns. CC

#6 ·
Oh my, I think the civilian version either blued and SS would suit better in this case. The finish used on Kimbers Warrior even looks better. Thanks for posting Redoubt.

-1911Collector

#7 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.