1911Forum banner

And then there were 3!

3K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  Nce 
#1 ·
Took a drive to one of the local Wilson Combat dealers this A.M and came home with a new Bill Wilson Carry. Here are a couple of pics and a group shot. They had a few nice new arrivals. I was also tempted by a tactical super grade but it had a couple of options that were not to my liking so I resisted the urge. I will be installing a grey ambi safety, according to the Wilson rep that we spoke with while I was at the store the ambi should be available in about a week. This will join the ultralight carry as my EDC's.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you. I'd like to say I am done but if I come across a Tactical Supergrade kitted close to how I would order one then it will join the stable. I can't get to the range today but will hopefully make it tomorrow and look forward to putting a few hundred rounds through the new addition.

#10 ·
Nce,

You have three Wilsons right now to keep you busy, why not just order the TSG to your exact specs? So what if it takes 12-18 months. You'll likely own it A LOT longer than that and if you have family you'll be passing it down. There is no way I would spend $3000+ on a CQB class gun if it wasn't exactly the way I wanted it and that statement holds even more weight if I were to ever order a $5000+ SG. The price on the SG isn't going to go down. Pick your options pack your patience and place your order.

#16 · (Edited)
Nce,

Everyone loves a bargain. I'm not trying to impose my opinions on you in any way but I would like to share them. To me the whole idea of a custom (or semi-custom) 1911 is the ability to get it exactly the way you want it. You shouldn't have to settle for a gun set up the way the first owner wanted it or the way the gun store owner ordered it. It should be set up the way YOU want it. That said, there's the trade-off of settling vs. paying less and to some guys the lower cost is going to be attractive.

A gun is not something I would purchased pre-owned under any conditions but that's just me. I'm not just talking Wilson, I wouldn't purchase a used Glock either. There's too many weekend gunsmiths around these days. You never know what's been done, especially internally. There was a recent thread on this forum from a guy who purchased a lightly used Wilson RDP. He had some issues with it and when he field stripped it he found out the recoil spring had been shortened. Two coils were cut off the spring. :hrm: Who knows what could have been done to the internals.

P.S. I'm also not a fan of FCS's. :)

#18 ·
I did think the same way about buying used and in most instances I do not buy used. The ultra light carry and the Bill Wilson carry were purchased new because the used versions that I had seen exhibited wear and I did not know or was not able to verify the history of the guns that I had looked at. The CQB Elite came from one of two Wilson master dealers that I know and have purchased from. It was owned briefly by a local collector who traded a bunch of very high end handguns that were largely unused. There was also an unfired Nighthawk that I was going to buy just because it was such a great deal. I did not buy the hawk because it had FCS. ;)I have spent north of $20k on guns and ammunition since January of this year at this particular store and trust the information that they give me. I also know of the guy that traded it in. This along with the stellar reputation of Wilson Combat meant that in this instance I was more than comfortable with the provenance of the gun. I have walked from dozens of seemingly good deals this year alone and in general I am not recommending used over new. Just that sometimes if you are careful and thorough as can be you will find a winner. The finding can also be a fun time. It is not really about settling either as changes can be made quite easily.

#19 ·
That is a tough choice for sure. As you can see from the pics I have a ulc and if I had to just pick one gun to keep out of what I currently have then it would be the ulc. My concern in getting a ulcc was that it would be too light and snappy to really enjoy shooting for extended periods. My thinking and hope is that the BW Carry will hopefully behave similarly to my ulc albeit with a tad less accuracy and be a little easier to conceal. I have nothing whatsoever to back those thoughts up. But as you say when it comes to guns of this ilk, " Win either way."

#20 ·
NCE,

Very nice family you've got going there, and I'm envious of the killer deal you got on the Elite!

#25 ·
Thanks, the CQB was a good deal. I have put 600 rds through it in the eight days that i've had it and am liking it a lot, what's not to like really. I can not wait to put some rounds through the BW carry. It does conceal nicely in a DeSantis cozy partner for commander lengths.

#22 ·
Very nice looking family! Congratulations

#27 ·
This just in..... My $3k pistol shoots great. I know, not exactly a news flash but the BW Carry did exceed my expectations today. I put 200rds through it and I was very accurate with it. My initial impression is that, if anything it has less felt recoil the my ULC and it shoots very flat and predictably. My groups were very tight and consistent throughout the 200 rds. I'll try to get another 200 rds or so through it tomorrow. Perhaps I was just having an on day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.