1911Forum banner

Night stand revolver

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  DANCESWITHGUNS 
#1 ·
Need to get my wife a revolver for the night stand.
She does not have the strength to rack the slide on a auto.
Would like a caliber smaller than a 44mag, but not a pee shooter.

#6 ·
Night stand duty revolver?

hard to beat a 4" barrel all steel 6 shot Ruger or S&W .
Caliber?? buy 357mag (easier to sell down the road if/when)
loaded for defense with 38spl +p

one side note, before you "bring one home" for her, make sure she can pull the trgger.
many women that can't rack the slide on an auto, don't have enough strength to pull 10-12 pound DA trigger either

..L.T.A.

#7 ·
Get a Glock 19; install a 15# recoil spring. Teach her how to rack the slide or rack it for her. Any firearm she keeps as a nightstand piece should be ready for action, not requiring slide-racking.

#8 · (Edited)
well since the original poster specified a revolver.

I will go back to that. A lot of people like the J frames. They are small. but they are also hard to use effectively by a lot of people for the same reason. for a bed side revolver, where concealment is not an issue. A K frame is a much better way to go.

Check out some of the S&W models 10,64,15,67,19,and 66. This is what I would recommend.

#10 ·
I completely agree with the J-frame thoughts.

They carry well and are very popular for that reason. But they are often times very difficult to use effectively for a lot of people. Myself included.

#12 ·
If its purpose is NOT to be carried DON'T get a small revo.

We intentionally bring out our 642 for out intro/intermediate ladies classes to show them how the recoil feels in a gun like that so they know before they buy it 'because the guy at the gun counter said it would be perfect for me'. I would say that 80% of women who I have worked with on a alloy frame 38spl didn't want to finish the whole cylinder of non +p ammo. Step the same women up to a steel frame, even something as small as a detective special, and they had far less issues. No problems with a 586 except some had grip size problems.

#14 ·
Shorter barrels give less of a purchase and leverage should it be grabbed at by an assailant.

Hammerless and frame notched sight type of revolver makes for it being snag free on blankets, robes and pj's.

Size of revolver and grips are an individual thing as ladies come in different sizes just like men.

Caliber, accurate hits count only. Depends on her skill level as far as cal. choice. If she's able to handle the .38 special buy a .357 mag and load with .38 special. She can always move up to the .357 round later in the same gun.

WalterGC, makes a good suggestion about the Glock G-19. Use a reduced recoil spring weight, 15+1 rounds, no safeties and option to mount a light.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.