1911Forum banner

CCO as a carry gun.

1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  RightToCarry 
#1 ·
I received my FL CCW about 2 months ago and I'm still toying with what guns work best for me as a CCW. I have been carrying my CZ PCR in 9mm mostly and a S&W J frame 642 when I'm wearing shorts or just running out to the store. I have carried my CBOB several times and like the way it carries and conceals so I'm trying to carry it more than my CZ. while at the same time I'm looking at the CCO but I have a few questions.

1.) Does the CCO really carry that much better than the CBOB?
2.) Is it as easy to conceal without a full bob tail? Or does the grip print easily?
3.) Have any of you found that only having 6 rounds in the CCO vs. the 8 roundss in the CBOB to be an issue?
4.) How well does the Duty Coat hold up to regular holster usage?

Thanks.

#2 ·
It carries much better than the CBOB, much lighter. CCWs are like shoes though, extremely personal; what works for one may not work for someone else.

I went with Wilson Combat officer magazines that hold 7 rounds.

As for how the coating holds up, my 09 sample is holding up well but does show some holster, crossbreed supertuck, but it is totally acceptable. Perhaps the newer coating on the the 2010 may be better. Mine mostly is wearing on the slide stop.

The CCO is perfectly set up for me, just switched to some VZ grips.

#3 ·
The weight difference is noticeable, the grip is shorter so may not print just like the cbob. If you put it in the holster and leave it, it won't wear too bad. But it is just a coating and will wear with use.

Nope, I have not needed my 7rds in the CCO, so I can't say if I would have needed a 8th. The extra mag I carry is a 8rd mag though.

#4 ·
Do the 8 rounders fit flush or is there a gap between the bottom of the grip and the bottom of the mag?

#5 ·
mags

The stock DW 7 round mags fit flush with the bottom of the mag well. The Wilson 47 7 round mags (with both baseplate designs) I have all protrude below the magwell.

I don't have any, but I'd be willing to bet that an 8 round Officer mag will also protrude.

Grizz

#6 ·
I sometimes carry an alloy frame or all-steel frame CCO sized 1911 (not DW). The grip conceals a bit better than the CBOB. For short carry sessions, I can't tell the difference in the weight of the steel and alloy guns. When I carry for extended periods, I can definitely tell the difference, even in a good holster.

Have any of you found that only having 6 rounds in the CCO vs. the 8 roundss in the CBOB to be an issue?
Since I've never used my gun in self-defense, the number of rounds has not been an issue. More is always better but I feel okay with 6+1 rounds.

#7 · (Edited)
ATTENTION EVERONE!!!!

The Mags that come with the CCO hold Seven Rounds of 45ACP ammunition. The Wilson 47 officers size magazines hold SEVEN Rounds of 45ACP ammo. With either of these magazines one round can be loaded into the chamber and the mag reloaded with one more round so you are carrying the gun with 7 in the mag and 1 in the chamber for a total Of 8 rounds in the CCO for carry.

I don't understand why there is so much confusion regarding this issue, lets check the Dan Wesson website.

Two minutes later--

I just checked the CZ-DW webpage on the CCO, check it out. The text says that the included mags hold seven but the spec list says capacity is 6. They should update the specs and get it right as the mags hold 7 rounds. All of My Mags hold 7.

#8 · (Edited)
The Mags that come with the CCO hold Seven Rounds of 45ACP ammunition. The Wilson 47 officers size magazines hold SEVEN Rounds of 45ACP ammo. With either of these magazines one round can be loaded into the chamber and the mag reloaded with one more round so you are carrying the gun with 7 in the mag and 1 in the chamber for a total Of 8 rounds in the CCO for carry.

I don't understand why there is so much confusion regarding this issue, lets check the Dan Wesson website.

Two minutes later--

I just checked the CZ-DW webpage.....The text says that the included mags hold seven but the spec list says capacity is 6. They should update the specs and get it right as the mags hold 7 rounds. All of My Mags hold 7.
Good point LO !!...May I add for the good of the group.....ANY....I say ANY...1911 Mag will work in a CCO or other Officer model gun...any brand...John Moses Browning was a Genius!.....I carry an 8 round mag as my spare....I will have to take a few picks of my CCO with different mags in it for reference......."You can never have too much ammo....unless you are swimming....or ON FIRE" !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.