1911Forum banner

Kimber vs Dan Wesson?

16K views 28 replies 25 participants last post by  dakotaTex 
#1 ·
I'm not looking for a bunch of Kimber bashing or Dan Wesson bashing!!!!!!!!! I own two Kimbers and like them both, but keep hearing good things about the Dan Wesson 1911. Back in the day Wesson only made Revolvers that had interchange barrels and not very good ones at that. Just wondering how the two 1911 compare without reading what each manufacturer has to say about their product but from someone who has shot both and can give me some good information as to the pros and cons of each as well as price point. Should add will be using the weapon for concealed carry so not interested in full size. Thanks

#29 ·
Even though plenty of great answers so far, I'll chime in. Like several others, I own Colts, Kimbers, a Springfield, and DWs. I like all brands, each for their own reasons. Kimber has done more to introduce shooters to 1911s than probably all other brands combined. My first shooting 1911 was a Kimber that got me completely hooked on 1911s. I bought 2 more Kimbers before buying a DW Valor. I've since added a Guardian and several shootable Colt Series 70s, as well as a Springfield Pro. The Kimbers were great guns to get started with - they were reasonably priced, reliable, and accurate. I know not everyone has had that experience, but I did will all three of mine. The 9mm DW Guardian is now my favorite - it just shoots great in my hands and makes me look like I know what I'm doing. My Valor is a fine pistol, but I don't shoot as much .45 these days.

I will say that once you own a nice gun, you want your next one as nice or nicer. If you start with a DW, you'll have a hard time looking at a lower priced 1911 that isn't as nicely fit and finished. Your next 1911 will probably be another DW, or something like a Brown or Wilson. It really starts to add up in a hurry.

Good luck,

dakotaTex

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.