1911Forum banner

R1 Standard Loosened Slide to Frame Fit.

5K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  mkk41 
#1 ·
Ive noticed on my R1 standard (non ERPC marked) that I purchased about a month ago, that the slide to frame fit has loosened. I have a little over 400 rounds through it. Its to the point that if I shake the pistol, I can hear & feel the slide clunk side to side. There is some free play at the back & front of the slide if you grasp it with one hand, and grasp the frame with the other. The pistol was not that loose out of the box, and yes I know the pistol will loosen up some after some rounds through it. I just wasnt expecting it to be that amount.

I dont see any odd wearing, when I field strip the pistol.

Is this normal for the R1's & have any other R1 owners have the same issue?

My other 1911, a Kimber STII has well over 8000 malfunction free rounds through it, and has zero slop in the slide & shoots great.

#5 ·
About 1,400 rounds through my "ERPC" marked R1 and it's as tight as the day I got it, but much smoother. I agree with crazy charlie, contact Remington.

#7 ·
I have the same thing happening with my R1 standard. I've had mine less than a year and only bout 200 rounds through it started rattling. Upon inspection I don't notice anything odd or that jumps out at me. I figure I'll shoot the heck out of it till the first year is up. Send it in for platinum service and take it from there.
In the end, I honestly don't care if it rattles a bit. Just as long as it keeps putting them down range.

#10 · (Edited)
It's a service pistol for sure. It's not engineered or built to be tight and have no rattle. But that's OK. If you can't stand it then have a good match barrel installed. Tightening up a production service pistol just isn't really done by the manufacturers. If the barrel is snug in the slide lugs and the sights are fixed to the slide it will repeatable accuracy. Tightening up the frame/slide will maybe get you 10-15% more accuracy. That's all. FWIW I have shot lots of service grade pistols that rattled but will still chew the center out of an X if the shooter could hold it. Rattle don't matter as much as most folks think it does. In the service we would ask "DOES IT SHOOT?"

#11 ·
I have seen pics online of a new R1 where the slide/frame fit was horrible!!

That said..my personal Remington R1 fits together fair/good...has a great trigger and well fitted barrel/bushing...frame/slide fit nice enough.

I've pondered yet never asked this question......Would Remington 'farm-out' some assembly to 'professional' 1911 builders..while still building and assembling same pistol in-house with inexperienced assemblers???

That could possibly explain some of the quality variance that plagues the Remington R1

Anyhow..I've owned my R1 for over 3 years and it has been a superb shooter. Est. 1200-1500 failure-free accurate shots. The slide to frame fit wore-in some, yet is still nice and snug with little play in any direction. No rattles...about the same as my other 5" 1911 pistols(a RI Milspec from the 1990's and a well used Sistema/Colt)...

Worst features of my particular R1 is the feeble black-oxide finish...and the ugly bit of internal casting-flash inside the dust-cover..which scratch's up the slide finish. The finish not very rust-resistant either...

#15 ·
So far, my R1S's finish is doing well. Slide is SS, lower is some black coating. June will be a busy month for me and this gun, will see how it looks after that.

#16 ·
The most important spec I think is can it shoot a acceptable group inside 25 yards. The R1911 R1 is just that a 1911. If you want a bulls eye or target model then buy that or upgrade your R1. I have never had a 1911 that would not perform well accuracy wise for self defense. A 1911 for hard use (survival) should not be a bulls eye /target pistol. Mine has almost 1200 rnds through it and it has smoother cycling now. Barrel/ Bushing/ Slide fit s still very tight. If it shoots good it is good.
Keith

#18 ·
Slide to frame fit is really not as important as the way the barrel/bushing/silde all fit together while the slide is in battery.

A bit of slide to frame looseness just might help reliability.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.