1911Forum banner

GSG 1911 Review and observations

87K views 100 replies 41 participants last post by  3strokes 
#1 ·
Just received my GSG 1911 today. I ordered it off of Gunbroker and it arrived at my dealer. The following are my thoughts and observations, in no particular order.

I put about 450 rounds through it today, with one malfunction during live fire. That was one failure to feed with the cheap bulk pack federal, the nose of bullet jammed into breech area. However, I found numerous failures to feed when dropping the slide on a fresh mag. If the slide release was used to drop slide, it would misfeed 75 percent of the time. Using the "slingshot method", it reliably fed the first round of a new magazine 100 % of the time. So, after I started slingshotting the slide, I only had one malfunction, about halfway through a mag.

Trigger is pretty good, a bit of creep. I would judge it to be about 5 pounds. The GSG has the series 80 style firing pin safety which is deactivated by the trigger.

Accuracy seems to be pretty good, though I dont believe it to be quite the equal of my Rugers. I didnt do any serious bullseye work with it yet, but plinked at rocks and an old pail at ranges up to 150 yards.

The beavertail grip safety is very thin at the top end, and mine was bent when I received it, apparently happened during shipping. It was bent to the point of contacting the hammer while at full cock. When I attempted to bend it back to clear the hammer, the tip snapped off. I reshaped the beavertail with a file, and coated the raw edges with Aluma Hyde. I also reshaped the rear of the thumb safety, as the sharp square edge was not to my liking.

The slide locked back every time on an empty mag without fail. The slide actually locks back on the magazine follower, not the slide stop notch. This should prevent the slide stop notch from peening.

I also removed the magazine safety, which is a very simple matter, just remove the MSH, and remove two parts, reinstall MSH.

I bought this pistol to do training drills, as I carry a 1911 on duty. I was dissapointed to discover that the GSG does not fit in my Safariland SSIII duty holster, due to the smaller ejection port compared to a .45, I can put it in the holster, but holster will not snap up.

The finish on the slide seems to be fragile, it is already starting to wear off from firing the 450 rounds, and maybe 6 trips in and out of the holster. The majority of the wear is on the portion of the slide which slides inside of the dust cover, as it rubs the dust cover slightly.

My GSG shoots a bit high with the medium front sight, and a bit low with the tall front sight. I may replace the plastic sights with metal ones at some point, only issue I can forsee with that is the heavier sights could impact reliability, as it would increase slide weight.

Overall, I am pleased with the pistol, the cost is only marginally more than the cheaper conversion kits, and it is a complete gun. The slide locks back on empty mag, which is a huge plus in my opinion. Accuracy is pretty darn good. Trigger is nice. Heavy mags drop free.

The cons ? Weak finish, fragile beavertail grip safety, and incompatibility with my duty holster.

See less See more
#2 ·
The beavertail grip safety is very thin at the top end, and mine was bent when I received it, apparently happened during shipping.
I went to pick one up at my dealer had and I pointed out two the two they had were bent also. She called their distributor and they had several complaints; apparently happened to an entire crate. Maybe you can get them to send another GS to you. Thanks for the review.

#3 ·
UPDATE : I put a total of 300 rounds through the GSG today, 100 each of Remington, Winchester, Federal. It was flawless today, for some reason it started feeding perfectly today using the slide stop to release the slide, unlike yesterday. I am really liking this pistol.

#4 ·
will be picking one of these up for my collection soon. My local shop has them for $310 + taxes which is reasonable I thik.

#6 ·
No, I meant 150 yards. I hit the bucket with probably a third of my shots, or about 33% during fairly rapid fire in a Weaver stance . I do a lot of shooting at 100-200 yards with various handguns. It is not as hard as some would believe, a 16 inch target at 150 yards would equate to about a 2 inch target at 20 yards. In other words, if you can hit a 2 inch target at 20 yards, you should be able to hit a 16 inch target at 150. I shoot in a very dusty area, so bullet impacts are plainly visible.

#7 ·
AK:

I am very dubious of this.

In order to believe that anyone could hit with any consistency (other than just plain luck) at 150 yard range with a pistol, I would have to see it in person !!! At 150 yards the sights of your pistol would completely cover even a 16 inch target.

Regards.

#8 ·
The technique usually employed is to hold the front sight higher in the notch, so the target can still sit atop the front sight. I've done very little pistol shooting at more than 50 yards (or more than 25 yards, for that matter), but last Summer did some shooting at about 110-120 with a .45, at a 36"x18" steel plate. I couldn't hit it every time, but could call my shots. I think three in a row was the best I could manage while shooting a total of 100 rounds.

#14 ·
wpshooter, I dont own a video camera, and even if I did I can think of better ways to use my valuable time than proving myself to others. I know what I am capable of, that is all that matters. If some have trouble believing, so be it. However, a bit of searching on YouTube will show various long range handgunning videos. Here is one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmMEg4y54Dk

He is shooting 230 yards with a Glock 27. Here is another:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNhub5NiBg8&feature=related

Like WC145 said, if this sounds so far fetched to you, you really need to spend more time shooting. If you can find a wide open area with a safe backstop, with dry ground so your misses are visible, it is not too difficult to make hits at long ranges, if you have good shooting fundamentals. Trigger control and sight picture.

#15 ·
It most definitely is possible to make long range shots with a handgun and AK is 100% correct about sight picture and trigger management.

You skeptics should try this: use just the very tip of your index finger on the trigger, focus on your sight picture and squeeze - don't "snatch" at the trigger... let the pistol surprise you when it goes off. With a little practice, you'll be amazed at what you can do at 100+ yards.

I've had my GSG 1911 for about a month now and have had it out three times. To date I've got about 1300+ rounds through it (without having cleaned it yet, but going to before it's next outing) and have had a total of four FTFs - and all of those were due to faulty ammo.

Mine has always chambered and fired the first round when using the slide release to "charge." Note: I looked at six different GSG 1911s and picked the one that had the smoothest action - they were all different. Perhaps this made a difference...?

Very happy with mine, overall. I also thought that it would make a great training/practice pistol, but am satisfied with using it just as a "plinker." I have Hogue wrap-around stocks w/finger grooves on it, three magazines, and am using the tallest of the front sights - specifically for long range stuff - and it's nearly dead-on. I've considered going to better quality sights, but I know where it's hitting, so I'm gonna hold off on that for now.

Great little pistol.

Mike

#22 ·
Most of what I've shot through mine has been Federal bulk pack 40gr lead solids. It's a .22, it doesn't care if the bullets are lead or coated lead, as long as they're standard velocity or hotter it'll cycle. Mine won't cycle with subsonics.

#18 ·
The 1300+ rounds that I've put through mine were all Federal bulk pack with the exception of 80 rounds of CCI Mini-Mag. The four FTFs that I had were all out of the Federal stuff. Pistol definitely fired with more authority with Mini-Mags, but worked (works) great on cheap, bulk pack stuff.

#39 ·
I've been watching and yearning for one since earlier this year. Having held both in my hand side-by-side, it is easy to choose the GSG over the Chalupa based on feel and looks alone IMO.

I guess it also depends on what you are looking for. I specifically want a .22LR that not only looked but also functioned more like a real 1911. The GSG definitely wins there.

#20 · (Edited)
I had read the mixed reviews about the Chiappa and I was familiar with the quality (or lack thereof...) and the reliability of the GSG-5 and ATI's customer service... I figured that if it was a P.O.S. out of the box, ATI would do their best to make it right.

There are a couple of little, quirky things that I don't like about the pistol, but overall I really couldn't be any happier with it. It's reliable, it's accurate and it has the look and feel of a 1911.

I would recommend one of these to anyone considering buying one.

#23 ·
I've shot CCI Standard Velocity lead round nose and Federal Auto Match lead round nose through mine with out any problems. Both very accurate rounds. I've had mine out twice, up to 700 rounds. No problems at all. First time out, I put 500 rounds through it. Great pistol.

#24 ·
A lot of good info here

I have just started thinking about a 1911 in 22 caliber and the GSG is looking way better than the Chiappa. It is great to see that the OP has been to the range twice and has already put 750 rounds through the gun. If it were a 45 using WWB from Walmart, the cheapest around, ammo would have cost him$262.50. Instead, he spent roughly $35 on ammo, depending on what and where he bought it. After less than another 500 rounds, the gun will have paid for itself in savings.:) While I like the recoil and feel of a real 45, I might just have to get one of these soon. On a related note, I am also looking at the S&W M&P15-22 for the same reasons.

#25 ·
Took mine to the range for the first time today. Overall, it's fun to shoot, but it wasn't real happy with Federal ammo. I put through about 300 rounds of bulk hollowpoints and 50 rounds of Gold Medal Target.

The Gold Medal rounds did not work as well as the bulk stuff. I had a half-dozen feed failures and one misfire with the 50 rounds, but, it gave consistently better groups. I had another half-dozen failures to feed with the bulk ammo, but no misfires.

I didn't have any other brand of ammo to compare performance, so I don't know if it was a Federal problem, or something else, but I'm inclined to think the feed problem is caused by the magazine. It doesn't hold the cartridge evenly and they slop around a lot in the magazine. After loading, you have to hold the magazine upside down and relieve the spring tension so they can align properly. Sort of a pain, but I got used to it pretty fast.

As received from the factory, the rear sight was off by quite a bit. It was centered on the receiver, but had to be adjusted to the point it looks sort of strange...almost as if it had been knocked out of place. It had to move nearly an eighth inch to bring the pattern on target.

Despite the few glitches, it was extremely fun to shoot, and it feels just like my Colt Commander. The lack of a heavy recoil means you can fire all day long without your hand getting sore as it will with a .45...and of course the difference in the price of ammo will make you smile. I also fired about 40 rounds from the Colt, and I love it, but the next time I go out just to have fun, the .22 will be my only gun.

#27 ·
I have about 1500 rounds through mine so far, the vast majority of it is the Federal bulk pack. Mine likes it fine, but it is certainly possible other GSGs don't. I like this pistol more and more as time and ammunition go by ! I ended up going to the tallest front sight, and then filing it down slightly to get it properly zeroed. Shoots to the same POA as my duty .45 now at 10 yards, right on top of the front sight.

#32 ·
Wulf, I am not too fond of the lettering on the slide either, but it is such a sweet shooting gun I can overlook it. I do think at some point I will polish the paint off of the slide flats and recoil spring tunnel, which will do away with the lettering, except the serial number, as it is actually engraved into slide. My slide is starting to show silver through it already from holster wear. The frame itself shows no wear yet, but the MSH finish is wearing on the edges.

#36 ·
Yes, standard grips will fit. Also standard magwell and other parts. Changed mine out recently.

One note on the grips which I believe someone else mentioned - the grip screws are smaller than normal. If you want to have the option of standard grip screws (slotted or hex) you need to change out the grip screw bushings. Been there, done that.

#38 ·
Yes. The original GSG screws and bushings appear to be a proprietary size and standard 1911 screws are too big. I called ATI to inquire about the possibility of replacing the bushings and was told it would be looked into and I would get a return call. That was over a month ago. While I'm waiting :( I decided to go ahead and swap out the bushings for standard ones. They fit fine. Since the photo was taken, I have changed to standard hex screws also.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.