1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baer vs DW, bore axis / high grip

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Sarge43 
#1 ·
On the verge of ordering a new 1911 with a $2000 budget. Not having an opportunity to try them nor hold them prior to ordering, I had to research on the web to get as "knowledgeable" as possible and this forum has been of incredible value to my "research. The 2 finalist are the bear UTC and DW Valor (black), and for the record, having both is unfortunately not an option. Understanding the different personalities of both guns, hard fit old style craftsmanship vs new and modern machining, etc, etc, I have come to the conclusion that either one would make me very happy.

There where however several questions unanswered not allowing me to make a final decision.

First question: how do I get a 2 dot rear sight on a Baer UTC. This question got answered by finding "harrison customs" website and their offering for a rear replacement sight, therefor bringing the Baer back in the race. (straight eight sights are a MUST, personal preference, what can I say..)

Last and final question that will be the decision factor: Which of the 2 rides lower in the hand? So far I have been unable to find enough information to support a solid "web based" opinion.

I am posting this questions on both (DW & Baer) forums and deeply hope someone with experience on both frames can help me and tell me which one has a lower bore axis due to beavertail radius/design and or in combination with undercut trigger guard.

Thank you kindly for sharing your knowledge, you guys are awesome!

See less See more
#3 ·

My Baer has a higher undercut where the trigger meets the frontstrap, my Valor feels higher cut under the grip safety. I would have a hard time saying that one sat lower in my hand than the other.
If it's controllability under recoil you're worried about, the more aggressive checkering on the DW's frontstrap probably makes more of a difference to me.
Changing the firing pin stop to one with a different profile might make a bigger difference too.

#6 ·
Why ?

Having shot many rounds through both I'd say get the DW.
This is subjective, but I prefer the frontstrap checkering of the DW, the sights, the ledge slide stop, the high level of machine mark free finish, the precise, not too tight fit and, why not, the looks. It's accurate and reliable and, given the apparent quality of parts used, built to last. ( I put 18k through my CBOB over 3 years without issue)
I ilke my Baer a lot, but I can't think of a single area where it trumps the DW.

#5 ·
I'll take Dan Wesson's precision digital machining over hand-fitting any day. I loved my PM7-45 so much I bought a second one. :rofl:

Nothing wrong with the Baer but a Dan Wesson fires reliably and precisely right out of the box, from the very first round. That is 21st Century manufacturing versus 19th Century hand-fitting which is expensive but at the end of the day less desirable IMNSHO.

#9 ·
Best feeling in my hand are Dan Wesson,Les Baer and Colt.
Cant go wrong with Baer or Wesson.:D
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.