1911Forum banner

Anyone have ANYTHING bad to say about Winchester Ranger RA45T???

4K views 30 replies 18 participants last post by  Black_Talon 
#1 ·
After a fair amount of research, I'm planning to switch to the RA45T's for my Kimber Compact Stainless. Purpose will be Carry and Home Defense. (in that order, since HD is mainly to be left to the 12 gauge)

Assuming that function and accuracy are all good, can anyone think of any reason not to do this??? I have heard/read NOTHING but good things about this load, and while I understand that individuals will have preferences for different rounds for different reasons, I would like to hear anything negative anyone might have to say about these.

Thanks for any and all input,

-John

#3 ·
Hello. No, not I. From what I've read folks seem pretty happy with its performance. In my own tests, I've been very impressed with its consistency shot-to-shot from various forty-five caliber pistols.

As this is typed there is a loaded 1911 approx. 2' away. It is loaded with the ammunition we're discussing.

Best.

#5 ·
That's great to hear!!!

I just thought maybe I'd approach this from a different angle. I think we all get REALLY sick of the old "what .45 load has the best STOPPING POWER?" type threads. So, I tried to do all my own homework, and I just want ya'll to 'proofread' it for me!!! ;)

SO, REALLY, anyone have ANYTHING negative to say???

Thanks again,

-John

#9 ·
I've shot about 7000 rounds of RA45T over the past 2 years and the only bad thing I can say about it is that it's not too easy to find. But with California Police Equipment's recent entrance into the RangerT market, things have taken a definite turn for the better. Another supplier, and they're selling it for $60-70 per case less than the other guys!

I absolutely love the stuff. Every now and then I'll buy a couple of boxes of Gold Dot, Golden Saber and Hydrashok just to try out. All of them kick more than RA45T, and the G-S and H-S have more muzzle flash as well.

#11 ·
Hello. It goes back to the furor over the original Black Talon in Winchester's case. To halt the political attempts to ban expanding ammunition or tax it out of range of private citizens, Winchester voluntarily withdrew BT from the market and sells its updated "Ranger" version only to LE. Other LE-Only ammunition such as Federal's 115-gr. 9mm JHP +P+ is supposedly restricted as the pressures are higher and might damage some pistols.

Best.

#12 ·
I like it a lot for my gov't models. Initial trials with my Compact CDP had a couple of feeding problems that didn't occur with Rem. Golden Sabre 230 grain during the same shoot. I will do more experimentation with the Compact using different spring weights to see if it will improve reliability. Although I have nothing bad to say about the GS either. Both of these rounds performed admirably in the tests I've seen.

#13 ·
Brass Balls said:
I like it a lot for my gov't models. Initial trials with my Compact CDP had a couple of feeding problems that didn't occur with Rem. Golden Sabre 230 grain during the same shoot. I will do more experimentation with the Compact using different spring weights to see if it will improve reliability. Although I have nothing bad to say about the GS either. Both of these rounds performed admirably in the tests I've seen.
Interesting - I use it in my Compact CDP I with no problems. I don't think you're losing much if anything with the GS ammo either, especially if it works better in your gun.

#24 ·
The headstamp "WINCHESTER 45 AUTO" is in too bold a typeface, I think a different font like "Harlow Solid Italic" would be more aesthetically pleasing.

Also, the cases are too metallic-looking for my tastes - I prefer soft pastels.

The muzzle report is far too loud to my ears, this needs to be toned down. The manufacturer should aim to create a sound similar to that of a sunlit stream gently flowing over polished pebbles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.