1911Forum banner

Short vs. Long Trigger

18K views 14 replies 15 participants last post by  Dwolf00 
#1 ·
So I'm newly into the 1911 scene (although I've had a 50's model for a long time). I've noticed the series 70's and 80's (at least the ones I've looked at) have a really short trigger. The older models seem to have a longer trigger. I've also noticed the gold cups have longer triggers. Are these better for accuracy?

#2 ·
i think its more of a comfort issue. the shorter trigger means you have to bend the trigger more so than the longer trigger, and that can affect accuracy, because your not having to bend your finger into the trigger as far.

if you have bigger hands/fingers, the longer trigger is probably more comfortable.

i like longer triggers, i have average sized hands (whatever that is) its a much more comfortable trigger pull for me.

its all up to what works best for you.

if im not mistaken the shorter triggers were made so that people with a smaller reach could be more comfortable.

russel
SDMF

#3 ·
A lot of IPSC guys used long three hole triggers in the '80s, so like two-tone color schemes, long guide rods and flat mainspring housings, they became de rigueur.

I've found I like short triggers better. It simply depends on your own hand size and contours. Try both and decide for yourself, and ignore "gun fashion".

#4 ·
I like to split the difference, and aside from one Les Baer, all my 1911's have Cylinder and Slide medium length solid triggers with custom serrated faces on them.

I hate 3-hole triggers. I think they look dumb, and it's one more place for lint to collect on a carry gun.

But yes, it's a comfort issue, and slightly increases/decreases length of pull. You can mess around with thin/standard width grips in combination with the length of the trigger shoe to fit your hand. This is the old-school, and prettier, I think, means of fitting the gun to your hand, versus the newer plastic guns with ugly looking interchangeable backstraps :)

#6 · (Edited)
I have what I guess would be a medium size hand. My 1911's get a flat MSH and Greider short/solid trigger. With those parts, I find I don't need thin grip panels.
Having had several Colt's with loose plunger tubes, I find I prefer a grip panel that covers the plunger tube.
Something else to consider is how the pistol will naturally point for you with the different mainspring housings. Some prefer the arched, some the flat depending on hand size, etc.,.
As to melson11's question ref. "Length of pull" I believe SVTNate probably meant that one can increase/decrease the distance from the base of the trigger rather than the mechanics of the ignition parts, using differerent length triggers.

#11 ·
I've found optimum trigger length to be a matter of balancing the mainspring housing type (arched versus flat) and grip panel thickness with the size and shape of your hands and grip technique. Other factors may include enhancements to the front and rear straps, trigger guard and grip safety for allowing the gun to rest deeper into your hand.

But ... after handling 1911's for almost two decades I still can't decide which trigger/mainspring housing combo I like best :confused:

#12 ·
As Gunplay says, it's a matter of the shooters choice. One of the advantages of the 1911 is that it is adaptable to the shooters hand. If something doesn't quite work for you on your gun another part can be changed out to adapt it to your hand. If something feels akward

On a carry piece I prefer the short triggers and the arched MSH. Easier to get a gloved finger into the trigger guard and slightly faster to me anyway.

There are three sizes of triggers generally. Short, medium, and long.

Bullseye shooters have often preferred the long triggers, provided they fit their hands.

tipoc

#13 ·
All of my 1911's and A1's have short triggers. My hand isn't all that large, and I like the feel of both long and short triggers . But my real reason for preferring short triggers is that I have had to use my 1911's for some serious issues over the years, and I prefer a shorter trigger because it doesn't block up the opening in the trigger guard as much as a long trigger, and I can get my finger in there and yank off a few a little faster. But if you like long triggers, that's good too.

#14 ·
I have a GCNM and a GM, both Series 70 and I much prefer the trigger length on the GC and am thinking about getting a longer trigger fro the GM but I still have my reservations …so, on one of the picture thread I saw what would amount to a trigger extension, basically a piece the fits over the trigger and is lock down to the trigger with set screws. This would give me a chance to see what it felt like without replacing the trigger. Any opinions on this?

#15 ·
I tried a medium trigger in a Colt 1991 and I really like the feel. I have large hands and the long triggers don't bother me, but the medium trigger actually feels better to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.