1911Forum banner

"Official" USGI 1911 Photo Thread

560K views 770 replies 400 participants last post by  joe scuba 
#1 ·
We have a wealth of great photos posted here , but they're not easily retrieved (scattered all over) . Much could be learned if we have a complete photo thread in an easy to find location .

Please feel free to post your photos & descriptions of your (GI only) 1911 / 1911A1 pistols .

I'm hoping to get good participation . I'll sticky it if we do . Thanks .

Enjoy :)

ps: I found this old thread , but many photos don't show anymore .
http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=50461&highlight=photo+thread

This post has been deleted
#4 · (Edited)
This picture shows how the finishing process changed directions (I hope someone can chime in and give a more correct explanation on that) as doing such left a noticeable difference in appearance just below the trigger guard on the front of the grip strap.
Mine's the same way, with two-direction brush marks. I'll post a photo in a minute. (That's no explanation, but I'm sure someone will come along and provide information. My U.S. M1917 Colt has a similar finish, BTW.) That pistol of yours is in beautiful condition.

Here's the rig.

The Colt was shipped November, 1917, SN196xxx. The Warren holster and Mills belt and pouch are all dated 1918. The lanyard has the 1917 patent stamp.

JT

#5 ·
I bought this 1911A1 about a decade or so ago. The shop that it came from was a gunsmith shop. The smith there said he didn't know who did the work on it, but that "it was done right".
Now I know this is a mod'd 1911 but it started out as a USGI 1911. Complete with proof marks including G.H.D. (there appears to be another character inbetween the H and the D but it may have been a first attempt at the D character).
The gun has a NM bbl, bushing and slide, but the NM numbers don't match. The most intriquing thing about this gun is the revolver sight milled into the slide. I haven't seen another example of this. Anyone else?
Any other comments from the more knowledgeable 1911 fans out there?

#9 ·
Freddo,

It was once fairly popular to install S&W revolver sights on automatics.
That one is in what is known as the "protected position" with the sight leaf at the location of the stock fixed sight. The main advantage to the gunsmith was that he didn't have to fill the dovetail as he would to put the sight at the rear of the slide. But that was common, too. Armand Swenson did a lot that way.

#11 ·
Jim,
Thanks for that great info. I had no idea who put the S&W sights on or why. Course I never bothered to ask "on the net" before, and figured, after browsing a few gun sites, THIS site was the one to ask. Besides, gave me a chance to show off my 1911.
AND to look at all the original-dress 1911s and A1s and drool... Now I want to get one of these "original" 1911A1s. :p

Jim Watson said:
Freddo,

It was once fairly popular to install S&W revolver sights on automatics.
That one is in what is known as the "protected position" with the sight leaf at the location of the stock fixed sight. The main advantage to the gunsmith was that he didn't have to fill the dovetail as he would to put the sight at the rear of the slide. But that was common, too. Armand Swenson did a lot that way.