1911Forum banner

Which gun would you trade in?

2K views 20 replies 18 participants last post by  STL9MM 
#1 ·
As mentioned in another thread, I'm getting my first 1911...an STI Guardian in 9mm. If I get impatient I thought of trading one of my other 9's in on it. Those options are the Beretta 92FS (L) compact or the FNX9....both cost and are worth about the same.....I have an opinion...but would like to see what you guys think. Since this isn't the Beretta or FN forum you might be a bit less biased! Which would you let go of if you were to....???

#4 ·
That's what I was thinking. I figured long term the 92 will still hold more value if I decided to do something with it later....or it's just a great keeper! I'm hoping not to trade anything...depends on how quick I want the STI.... Might try to sell the FNX, as much as I like it, I want the Guardian home!

#7 ·
I trade guns a lot, so this may sound funny coming from me...but, you are going to lose on a trade. If you can, sell one outright, and put the money toward your new gun. I understand all about impatience...I am too, and I am an impulse buyer. I usually lose money on trades, as most people do...although on rare occasions I have actually broken even or made money. I trade mainly because I don't like to mess with private sales and the attendant concerns...that is my opinion, and not everyone feels that way.

Now, if you do decide to trade, I would keep the Beretta.

#9 ·
Like the others said, you'll lose a lot of money on a trade-in. Better to hang onto them both and save up for the STI.

However, if forced to give up one I'd definitely keep the Beretta.

#11 ·
Yeah, it's rare to trade and not lose..I have only a time or two! As I mentioned, it's the patience thing... I'd rather sell the FN than trade it...have to see how long I can wait!
Thanks for the feedback....guess I wanted to hear it someplace besides my own mind!

#12 ·
If you are trading, I would do the FNX9.
I had an FNX and traded it. Mag seating and reliability seem to be a bigger issue than they admit. Some are fine, but their entire FNX forum is owners defending their problems. I traded mine for an XDM 5.25 and haven't missed it for one second. Convert that to trading it for a 1911...... you'll never think twice. Just my .02

#13 ·
I've got a similar situation...got my eye on the new Dan Wesson ECO, with a stainless 92FS sitting almost all the time in my safe. I thought about trading the Beretta but just can't bring myself to do it. Even though I seldom shoot it, it's one of the best shooting and best looking pistols ever made, IMHO. I don't care if there are a million of 'em out there, I'll keep mine.

So like Killer Beaz says, "Save up!"

#14 ·
Gunshops will most likely give you in the area of 400 less than what you paid for an item, your best bet is to hold onto both, and wait patiently. However, should that option fail, ditch the FN first.

NOT that anything is wrong with the FN, it's a fine fine weapon, but my preferences lean to the M9 over the FN through extensive use, and yes, I own both.

#15 ·
+1 for keeping the Beretta. However, instead of trading in the FN, see if you can sell it privately. You're almost guaranteed to get more money that way--provided you're comfortable with doing so.

#19 ·
Haven't shot the fnx9. But I traded my 92fs on Kimber pro rapter. I hated that gun not because of function but its size. I never had much trouble out of it. But it didn't fit my hand at all. Couldn't hit a lick with it. So I traded it off and haven't miss it a bit. So my advice to you would be trade the beretta.

#20 ·
I'm wondering why are all the guns 9mm? Just curious, but why not look at something bigger like the .40 or .45 ??

LOL I have a Sig p226 that has sat in my safe for 10 years, although its my first purchase I prefer my .40 and .45's,, more stopping power.

#21 ·
I guess I just enjoy shooting 9. Don't care for .40....had a .45....just not as much fun to play with... At one point I had .22, .25, .32,.380, 9, 5.7 and .45. I've pared it all down to 5.7 and 9mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.