1911Forum banner

Winchester or Marlin?

1K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  deankeck0 
#1 ·
I'd like to hear some opinions as to the pros and cons of either rifle in .44 Rem Magnum caliber: Winchester 94 or Marlin 1894. I've had the Marlin before and liked it. Just like to hear some thoughts on it compared to the Winchester.

#6 ·
I have both.

For current offerings. You are pretty much looking at six of one and half a dozen of the other.

#7 ·
The Winchester '94 was designed around the .30 WCF cartridge (.30-30), and is a little long for a pistol cartridge. If you can find a model '92, it's a much better rifle, and smoother too. I was on a waiting list for several months at BudsGunShop before mine turned up.

Winchester abandoned the cross button safety for one on the tang, which is preferable IMO. It also has a rebounding hammer and a positive hammer block actuated by the trigger (like a revolver). I've not had any ignition problems, and with the passive safety mechanism, use of the tang safety is optional.

The Winchester has a spring loaded ejector, so your brass goes flying even if you operate the lever slowly. The Marlin ejects to the side, and puts your brass in a neat pile. You can't be as gentle with the Winchester lever as with a Marlin, or the lifter may not work properly.

The Marlin '94 is a nice rifle too. The action is usually very smooth, especially if you use a little 600 grit paper where the bolt slides over the hammer. I had to tune the extractor a bit, rounding the sharp edge on the bottom which takes the rim from the lifter.

The Marlin Cowboy is "perfecto" in my book, especially with a shorter barrel (20" not the full 26"). The standard Marlin has a round barrel and the stock and forearm are much beefier than needed. I prefer the slim look and feel of the Cowboy (and Winchester '92). The loading gate on the Marlin still pinches my finger, whereas the Winchester loads like it's been buttered.

The Marlin is easly field stripped by opening the bolt about 1/3rd and removing the lever pivot screw and lever. The ejector is loose once the bolt is removed, so make sure it doesn't fall into the receiver and is re-installed properly.

The Winchester '92 is definitely not easily field stripped, and the process is not for the faint of heart. Look for videos on YouTube, or buy a DVD from AGS. I clean from the muzzle, using a bore guide to protect the crown.

Uberti makes a .44 Magnum with an 1873 action. While it is by far the smoothest action, the toggle link is probably marginal for magnum cartridges. I would not use +P ammunition in it, much less Buffalo Bore. I'm pushing hard cast bullets out of the Marlin and Winchester at about 1800 fps - well into the .30-30 class of energy.

#9 ·
Both marlin and winchester are great guns. I have a marlin in 45/70 and it is a sweet shooter. I have the winchester in 30/30 and I just bought winchester in 44 mag trails end and it cycles soo smooth and does not have one bit of feeding issues. I don't think you will go wrong with either choice.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.