1911Forum banner

Winchester Model 12, 20 Gauge - Can anyone give me a BallPark value?

20K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Tom_R 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone.

I am trying to find a Good Shotgun Forum, but so far, no luck.

I figured I would try here first since I am already a member and we have fans of anything that shoots.

I have a Winchester model 12 20 Gauge Pump Action Shotgun.

It has a 1059XXX Serial number which dates it to 1946.

For a gun that old, and that has definitely been used as intended, it looks alright. Better than I will at that age :)

Anyway, I have attached some pics, and was hoping someone could tell me the value. I may put it up for sale to finance a 1911 I have my eye on. It's just going to sit in my safe as I have other shotguns that I use. I want it to go to someone who will appreciate it.

Anyway, here are some pics, please tell me what you think I could realistically get for it on Gun Broker, or in a Want-Ad type deal.

The Light is hitting the receiver funny in this one. It's not all dulled out like it looks

See less See more
#2 ·
There is very little collector value there.

That gun has clearly been rode hard and put up wet more than once. Additionally older shotguns were more the rage fifteen or twenty years ago than they are today. Around here in the commonwealth. If you could get five bills for that gun you would be doing very well.

#4 ·
Good luck with that.

Like I said, you would be doing very well to get five bills. And that is only because it is a twenty gauge. Good luck with that.

#6 ·
If I owned that shotgun and provided it has not been monkeyed with I wouldn't hesitate to ask $400-$450. Unfortunately the older Winchester firearm market has softened up some and these nice old guns don't command much these day's. To you're' benefit you have a 20 GA which will certainly add some resale value.

#7 ·
There are quite a few Model 12s out there still. It is not a rare gun to see folks shooting. I know a few shooter who have Model 12s who believe that they are worth more than they really are. I would be surprised to see anyone would give over $300.00 for it, not because it's not a decent gun, but because that same amount of money can fetch more modern shotguns, and even brand new shotguns. You would probably need to find someone who has a thing for old Model 12s.

#8 ·
It has more value than you guys give it credit for.

That gun has a solid rib and that makes it more valuable than a plain barrel. By about 50%. Despite it's apparent rough shape...it ain't that bad for an almost 70 yr old gun. Model 12's in 20 with a solid rib don't grow on trees.

I've seen worse guns fetch $700. My guess is you put a $650 price tag on it and it will still go in a heartbeat.

#10 ·
Thanks guys, I still have to decide what I am going to do with it, but it's all good, as I don't have anything into it, and I am not in a hurry.

I have never shot it, so maybe on my next visit to Cabellas, a box of 20 gauge shells is in order, and I'll take it out and see what it can do.

It was my dads, but I am not sentimental about this one because I have 3 or 4 other guns from him that are really cool, and not going anywhere, and we never actually shot together, so it's not like this gun was used to forge some un breakable bond. I'd be surprised if he shot it more than once, if ever.

The ones he did leave me that I am definitely keeping are:
- Ithaca Featherlight 12 gauge, sweet shooting pump action 12 gauge
- Remington 11-48 28 gauge, gorgeous lines, and in real, real nice shape, a fun shooter
- Parker Brothers, side by side double barrel 12 gauge - I am told this is worth a few bucks
- Smith Corona copy of a Springfield 1903a3, it's been sporterized, but it is a load .30-06

So if I move the Winchester, it's not like I am committing some outrageous offense.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.