1911Forum banner

weatherby

2K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  DaveVK 
#1 ·
Anyone know anything about the weatherby vanguard in 30-06

#2 ·
No but I had a German Mark V in .30/06. From a stone cold barrel it would group 3 shots into an inch at 100 yards. After that the thin barrel would start to walk the group when hot. I lost it when my dad sold his ranch in Mexico. It was stolen in Botswana and they hung the man that stole it and gave it back to me. Only left hand bolt gun in the country at the time. I killed a charging lion, a leopard, a black bear, all manner of plains antelope as well as more deer than I could count. I wish I still had it.

#3 ·
Friend has one in 308. It kills deer effectively. Accuracy is 'as advertised'. I think Howa is the same barreled action.

Like any sporter contour your groups will start opening up after 4-5 shots.

#6 ·
New? Used? That's a decent price, for a basic plastic stock. You can always upgrade the stock, trigger, and barrel in the future.

No I would not trade a SR1911 for one

#7 ·
Trade No, not with out some fine optics buy sell the ruger ?? Yes if you want a hunting rifle. The Vanguard/howa rifles. tend to be better shooters than the regular weatherby line. It is probably worth the 350 dollars but no trade.

Should read up on weatherby rifle history on Wikipedia . Interesting how the company built rifles.

#9 ·
My son has 2 of them. One is a 257 Weatherby Mag and the other is a 308

He has a bull elk on his wall that was taken with the 257 at 640 yards. They are an excellent gun fir the money. Just put a good scope on it

#10 ·
Friend of mine has an older wood stocked Vanguard in 30-06 and its a good shooter. The barrel is a skinny lil thing, but for walking up deer and other game, its very handy. I handloaded some 165 gr ballistic tips and it will keep an inch or under at 100 yards. The older models take Remington scope rings. The wood is nice, nothing fancy but tight grained and the inletting is good.

#11 ·
I have the Vanguard S2 in .308. I like it. It is an accurate gun. I haven't done anything like pillar base it, yet. But that is because I just don't have anywhere to really test its capability. For an S2 model, used, I think that $350 is an okay price. I don't think that I would pay $350 for the regular Vanguard new.

Not sure about trading or selling off an SR1911. I suppose it would depend on what other 1911s you have, what other rifles you have, and what you are going to do with it. For instance if I had 5 or so Colts, I would totally get rid of the Ruger. If I had the Ruger and a Glock, the Ruger stays.

I am thinking about getting a Savage Axis XP2 in 243 for when my daughter is ready to hunt with me (in a few years).

#12 ·
My Vanguard also has very nice wood, bluing, and stock inletting.

I consider it to have been a great deal at $350 with a Simmons Aetec scope and Leupold rings.

I definitely wouldn't trade an SR1911 for a new one with composite stock.

#13 ·
I've got a Vangurad II in 30-06. Not too difficult to have 3 shot groups that can be covered by a quarter. Very nice factory trigger and the price is pretty attractive. Only thing I'm not too fond of is the plastic magazines. I may call up Weatherby and convert it back to the regular box with floor plate and get rid of the removable magazine.

#16 ·
Accuracy ? is one worth $350.00 and would you sell a Ruger Sr1911to buy one
I have a stainless/synthetic stock Vanguard in .30-06. It's a 1 to 1.25 MOA gun with ammo it likes. The only thing I did to the gun is replace the somewhat slushy OEM trigger with a Timney I got as a seasonal closeout thru Midway. Really a nice gun for the money and I like it better than, say, the Ruger American. It is built using a Howa action or at least mine is.

Would I sell a Ruger SR1911 to buy it. I wouldn't but I have a number of rifles and pistols. That's hard to answer because it depends a lot on your personal situation.

Bruce

#18 ·
Vanguard 30.06 from 1988 (Howa action back then as well) is my primary deer rifle. Love it so much, I'm cosidering another in .243 Win

it cosistantly shoots .7 MOA out to 290 yards with 165 gr Win Ballistic Silvertip, 165 gr Rem Core Loct, and new to me this year, 150 gr M1 Garand PVRI Partisan all to the same POA at 110 yrds.

My original trigger sucked, but after spending 30 bucks for a smith to smooth it out -- what a world of difference. It remained the same weight (~3.5 lbs) but sstill the best 30 bucks I've spent to improve a rifle.

Oh, thinking saboted 55 grain would be cool for varmints, NOT! Those things sprayed all over and outside of the target at 200 yds -- maybe a 15 inch group!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.