1911Forum banner

KelTec SUB2000?

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  hardluk1 
#1 ·
Looking for any reviews/opinions on the KelTec SUB2000 9MM. I have a grandson ready for his first carbine, but we're not ready for an AR or an AK yet. I have a recommendation for the KelTec. Ammo will be much cheaper as I can reload for him and I do not want him dragging-out an AK or an AR to show his friends in the parking lot. A camp carbine may be a better choice, but they have gotten pretty hard to find and the KelTec will still afford him the "military look" and it takes the Glock magazine.

Any opinions one way or another would be appreciated.

#2 ·
I had one. Decent shooter. Being blowback and light it's surprising the way the recoil irritates the shoulder. It's not heavy recoil, but I found it and the old style Hi Point 995 carbines actually left marks on my shoulder. Never had that problem with my .44 mag, .357 mag, or even .45-70 carbines with factory loads.

I have to shoot left handed on long guns due to cross dominance and a bad astigmatism in my right eye. Shooting left handed with the blowback action of the Sub 2000 I was getting a lot of burning bit of powder coming back into my face. Quite a bit hitting high on the right cheek and even getting some on my glasses. As much as I loved the concept of a compact, folding carbine that shared mags with a handgun for me it was a no go after a single range session due to that. Not going to be an issue for a right handed shooter, but just too unpleasant and possibly dangerous getting you face burned every shot for a southpaw.

The reciprocating bolt under the stock you have to keep aware of and not let hand, clothing or sling get in the way.

IIRC the Sub 2000 is also not rated for plus P ammo. Since my standard 9mm defensive load is the Federal 124 gr +P HST that's also a no go for me.

Nice concept. Pretty accurate little gun. I really wish it would have worked out for me as I really liked the idea of a carbine and pistol set you could fit in a briefcase or day pack with several shared mags.

#3 ·
The blow-back carbines will surprise you a bit. I have an AR15 in 9 x 19 and I actually crushed a buffer shooting loads that my 1911 eats all the time. The gun an handle the load, but I also admit to being a bit surprised at the recoil I was feeling....just before I drove the nylon pad on the nose of the buffer back into the housing. An RRA special heavy 9MM buffer cured that problem.

I have two grandsons. #1 was happy with the 20-gauge Remington 870 pump as a first gun and he's had it ever since. He is just not as interested in guns as #2. #2 wanted an AK47, but I told him I did not think that was a good idea as a first long gun and I'd help him with an AR as opposed to an AK any day anyhow. I just think something in 9MM will be a lot more economical to shoot. He lives just around the corner from a range and I can keep him supplied with 9MM reloads much cheaper than I can 22lr. He's right-handed and stands 6'4". He just turned 18 and we don't know when the boy is going to stop growing. I'd just rather not have him slinging-around an AK or AR at his age and one can own the SUB2000 for much less than an AR in 9 x 19.

#4 ·
SU2000 sight picture

They are very compact and getting on the sights results in some contortions, cheek bite.
Sighting in is a trip, front sight is only adjustment and it will move for elevation and windage at the same time. If it will even allow enough adjustment.
Trigger feel is,.... Spongey, I guess might be the best description.
Some reported issues with safety buttons working loose.

Mine might be pie plate accurate at 50yds, but it is entertaining to shoot. As mentioned earlier, for some reason mine also has a "sharp" recoil feel to it, over a heavy shirt or coat it isn't bothersome.

Not my choice for deer or a new hunting carbine for a youngster, rabbits, nute's, skunks and the like, but not deer.

#5 · (Edited)
A friend of mine has one in 9mm.

I've shot his to see if it was worth me buying one since I was a travelling salesman. Here is what I discovered.

It's rough around the edges.

His took S&W pistol magazines.

His required regular cleaning. My friend doesn't clean his weapons and this rifle certainly needed to be cleaned to work.

I decided to take my Ruger PC 9 along in my car instead of buying a Sub 2000.

I think the young man would be better served by a different sort of carbine. How about a level action or even bolt action?

My suggestions:

Marlin lever action in .38 Special.

Ruger carbine in 9mm (discontinued and the trigger is gritty).

AR 15 in 9mm (Rock River Arms makes a version).

Marlin Camp Carbine in 9mm (discontinued).

Destroyer Carbine in 9mm Largo (ammo is a bit hard to find and it's a Curio and Relic)

**I just searched on gunbroker and found examples of both the Camp Carbine and Ruger PC 9 (carbine) for $500.00 or so.

#7 ·
check out the JRC. AR15 carbine made in 9mm. they also make it in .45, and .40. I've heard really good things about these. heard good things about the hi-point as well, minus the trigger.

#10 ·
Really want to try the Sub-2000 because I have an M&P9mm. I shot the Berretta carbine and was not impressed. It worked flawlessly but surprisingly was not that accurate more than 15yrds. Sights are weird. Hundreds of rounds and I was just as accurate with my pistol. Looks cool but so what.

#11 ·
I love Pistol caliber carbines but the Keltec is one I will never own. Yes it is great it folds in half but the rest of the rifle to me feels really cheap and the gun it very hard to get your cheek on the stock and use the sights. For the money I would suggest a Hi Point Carbine. The things are boringly reliable and very accurate. The only down side to them is the 10 round mags. I currently own 3 Hi Point Carbines 1 Beretta CX4 and a Taurus CT-9 and love shooting them all.

#13 ·
1550vt Would you conceder building a 9mm AR ,a,a, pistol with a sig brace . Build it with a regular ar15 upper and lower with a cmmg bolt it will run with a regular AR trigger and uses a mag adaptor from promag or hahns to feed it with 9mm colt metalform mags . With a barrel length from 5" to 10.5 and a sig brace is shorter , lighter and easier to handle. Then in a few years you can add an upper to 223/5.56 and remove the adaptor and its ready to run or sell the bolt and adaptor and barrel and convert to 223/5.56

Wifes 9mm pistol.legal to shoulder fire and go out of state with it.
http://s331.photobucket.com/user/hardluk1/media/102_0125_zps97cbae3e.jpg.html?sort=3&o=24

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.