1911Forum banner

CZ Over Unders

2K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  WalterGC 
#1 ·
anybody here have one? if so how do you like it?

except for predator control work I've never had much use for a shotgun but there are lots of trap, skeet and sporting clay ranges around me so I've been thinking about getting a Over under and taking up the sport. I can't spend a lot but wanted to get something decent to start out with and the CZ Canvasback or maybe the Redhead Deluxe looked pretty nice till I could upgrade to something better in a couple of years.

oh and post pics if you got them:)

#2 ·
Shotgun fit is very important. If it doesn't fit, you will have trouble hitting with it. Getting that out of the way, my opinion, is that you look for a used Browning Citori. You won't be sorry. The Citori will outlast the CZ. I'd be very leery about buying a low end double gun. Brownings also also have a much better resale value-should you decide shotgun sports aren't for you.

Last fall, I bought a used Citori Lightning 20 gauge in about 98+ percent condition. The gun cost me about $850. Deals are out there. You have to be patient, and act quickly. If you snooze, you lose.

#4 ·
i'd love to have a browning or another mid to high end shotgun but so far everything i'm finding local (even used) is sky high and I don't use gunbroker or similar websites, maybe I just need to save up a little more and keep looking.

what should I look for as far as the Fit? I've heard that term before but i'm not sure what it entails.

#8 ·
For beginning and learning to shoot clay targets I would recommend a good quality semi auto before an entry level over and under. Look at Remington Sporting 1100's or the Beretta 391's. If you love to sport and want to step up to a O/U later a good semi will hold better value than a lower end O/U. Or you can always keep the semi and use it for sporting clays, 5 stand, or the 12 gauge event in skeet event, or later introducing others to the sport if you get a dedicated O/U later on.
Most people find semi's easier to learn to shoot with and you will enjoy the reduced recoil of a semi auto. Even though you are shooting target loads you will be shooting a lot. For me Practice or range trips frequently consist of 4 or more boxes of shells and even if you are not recoil sensitive shooting 12 gauge 1-1/8 oz shells out of an over under is a lot more punishing than a softer shooting semi. If you start competing it's easy to shoot 300-500 shells over the course of a weekend.
You can basically use the same gun effectively for sporting clays, 5 stand, and skeet but trap is a different animal. The are regulated by the stock and barrel to shoot at the rising targets and your pattern will be a lot higher than with a skeet/sporting gun. It is difficult at best to effectively shoot trap with a flatter shooting gun and difficult to shoot the other events with a gun set up for trap. My recommendation is to try all the different games out with a good semi and see what game trips your trigger and you can buy a purpose built gun from there if you so choose. If 5 stand or Sporting is your cup of tea your semi auto may be all the gun you will ever need.
I see you are in Central Texas, Not sure where but I have served on the Board of Directors of the Waco Skeet and Trap club and can highly recommend it. There are a lot of experienced shooters there that would be more than willing to get you started and give you a few pointers.

#9 ·
One other note on the lower end O/U. If used as a hunting gun or a hunting gun with infrequent range trips they can be quite dependable, but if clay target shooting is something you really get into they will not hold up to the excessive amount of shooting required of a "clay sports" gun. A good semi with moderate maintenance I have found will handle more shells than nearly all of the lower end doubles. I have seen more than a few O/U have issues on a range. That is one of the main reasons you don't see competitive shooters with lower end O/U not only is the fit, finish, and feel better on the higher end guns but they are built more robustly and to handle the rigors of shooting 10,000 rounds per year. If you are competing nothing is more frustrating than equipment failure it takes you mind off the targets and directs them to your gun (never a good thing) and if you have more than 2 equipment failures it equates on the scorecard as a miss.

#10 ·
I'm considering a CZ ultralight or canvasback as a dove/bird gun. It's hard for me to see a 6-700$ gun as low end. I consider my 300$ 870 POS a low end gun. I've shot some nice beretta o/u's they are way outta my price range and would be scared to take such a nice gun out in the field. My brother shot sporting clays at a place and he used to rental gun that was a cz he said it was pretty nice but he hasn't really shot anything nice nice.

#13 ·
Find a CZ that fits you and your budget. If you start shooting clay, you can get pretty deep in your wallet pretty fast trying to keep up with the full-time shooters.

The key is consistency. Shouldering, stance, sight picture, swing are the basics. Barrel length is highly individual. When I started shooting skeet, I started with a beautiful Browning Citori O/U 12ga 26". Could not get the swing correct. Found a FabArms O/U 12ga 28" that was back bored, ported & ready for the field. Started shooting consistent 22-25. Fit? Barrel length? Combo? Balance? Whatever, it worked for me. Used this shotgun for sporting clays, skeet & trap for 5 league seasons. It's still tight, still beautiful.

On a whim, pulled a Winchester 1897 out of the safe that has been sitting for 2 decades mostly unused. Though I'd give it a whirl on the Trap range simply for the 30" barrel and full choke. Holy shiite that thing can swing & hit! Keep in mind that there are multi-thousand dollar shotguns on the field. I'm doing just fine against them. There are folks using 26" O/U's that are shooting consistent 22-24 every week. There are more than a few 32-35" single barrels on the field. They are highly refined, specialized guns with adjustable stocks & comb heights. Def, high-dollar equipment.

Are they getting better hits? More hits? Not really. The leader is shooting a Citori 12ga 26".

Clays are generally not shot with heavy field loads that put a lot of wear & tear on shotguns unless they're built for the work. Browning Citori is THE STANDARD by which all others are judged ...does this mean others aren't up to that standard for reliability, longevity, durability? Not really.

Lets suggest that you go ahead with the CZ and START shooting ASAP. You'll learn more from getting on the line or in a stand and actually doing the hit or miss practice. Clay shooting is flat out fun. Just try not to get wrapped up in how much you spend on that first gun and trying to find the PERFECT one first time around. I cannot identify any shotgunner/clay shooter who only has 1 shotgun. You will acquire another shotgun, that's inevitable. CZ is rumored to have excellent customer service. My CZ pistols have never needed factory support or repair so I can't speak first hand to that.

Ya, Remington 1100. Nice older guns are all over the place. They're beautiful, durable, reliable and proven. Nothing quite like good old American steel & wood.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.