1911Forum banner

Lever-action Pics

181K views 146 replies 92 participants last post by  fnfalman 
#1 · (Edited)
Can we get a sticky on lever-action photo pics? We have some for shotguns, bolt-action, AR/AK/FAL, but no love for the lever-action. I've mentioned this before but never started one (but until now I finally have my own!). Mods, would it be possible to sticky this thread?

I have seen many of y'all with your great rifles (whether they be 30-30s or .357/.44 Mag. Let's see what y'all got!

I'll start, here's my new to me Marlin 1894 SS I got last weekend at the gun show. Shoots .44 Mag and to me the recoil is negligible (at least compared to my .30-06). Hopefully I can add more to the collection in the near future.

Edit: thanks for making it a sticky!

See less See more
#105 ·
Just picked up two more in the last few weeks, a Browning BL-22 Grade II made in 1976, doesn't appear to have been fired, for $350.

And a JM Marlin Cowboy Limited .45 Colt, made in 2000, for $750.
It had been fired very little, the guy said it hasn't left his safe since 2008.

As I need a peep with a small aperture to see the front sight clearly anymore, I put Williams sights on both of them.
The .45 Cowboy will be a same-cartridge companion to this Uberti .45:

And my 2015 model 1895 .45/70:

Don't be afraid to check out new Marlins, their quality issues are behind them.
This "Remlin" is as smooth, well fitted, and accurate as any of the JM Marlins I've owned.
The polishing and bluing on the new guns are even better than the old ones.
The only issue I have with current Marlins, is the edges of the flats on the octagon barrels are rounded off, they must have a gorilla doing the buffing.

#107 ·
Ran into this Winchester 1894 Nickel Steel Octagon Barreled .30 WCF at a LGS about a year ago. It was mfg. in 1908. Poor bluing job caused a unnatural plum patina. Stocks had many nicks. The receiver and front stock cover looked almost new though. My gun smithy said the barrel was good for shooting, after he took it all apart and cleaned/oiled it. Took it out and fired three rounds. Decent accuracy, but the Crescent Butt Plate was hard on my shoulder and left a bruise. Receiver had been drilled/tapped for a scope mount, but I found some similar screws to fill in. Since it has already been worked on, not really a collector's item, except for show. I plan on replacing the semi-buckhorn rear sight (too wide for me) with a square notch and doing some work on the stocks. It is and will be a shooting rifle!

Attachments

#108 ·
I really enjoy my 444P Outfitter, but wanted to scratch another itch. I just had a custom Ruger OMBH Bisley in .45 Colt completed by Andy Horvath. It was just screaming for a caliber matched mate. I decided on a 24" Marlin 1894 Cowboy in .45 Colt and after some searching, found one locally. It belonged to a CAS shooter and had been slicked over and given a full action job. All it needed was a thorough cleaning. Great gun and will be my deer gun next season.

Attachments

#113 ·
Found this thread so gotta get the lever-action tribe's group photo up.

Hoping to add a good vintage Marlin Model 39 by year end. That's the goal if other unanticipated expenses don't continue to derail it.

Top to bottom:

Winchester Model 1873 .38-40 from 1900
Winchester Model 1886 .45-90 from 1887
Winchester Model 1892 SRC .32-20 from 1896
Winchester Model 94 Carbine .32 Winchester Special from 1941
Winchester Model 1895 .405 from 1904
Savage Model 99 .300 Savage from 1955

All are regularly used for range work, plinking, hiking, hunting whenever the whim strikes. Deer have been taken with all except the Winchester '92 .32-20. Haven't ventured to try it on deer yet. Oh, and the Winchester '73, but a deer was taken with a .38-40 '73 previously owned.

#118 ·
My last two rifle purchases have been lever guns.

A Browning (Miroku) model 53 I bought last summer, 32-20 is a cool round to play with. And more recently a BLR model 81 (Also Miroku) in .308. Both are definitely keepers.

Attachments

#119 ·
I'd love to have my Ruger #1 International back. Mine was in .30-06. I love a Mannlicher stock. I managed to get one of the newer distributor commissioned Ruger 10/22 full stocks in Walnut. Still in the safe and I still haven't shot it. But I ain't getting rid of it.

I'd also miss and would love to have my Browning BLR 81 in .223 Rem. I had both in Alaska. That little BLR 81 was a sweet handling and shooting rifle.

Nice levers both, Dakota and USMM.

#120 · (Edited)
Very nice well rounded collection, bmcgilvray.
Dddrees, your lever collection is coming along nicely, now if you could just get that camera in focus !
Here are a few more of mine:
Winchester 9422-

Marlin Mountie .22 (1958)-

Browning BL-22-

Rossi 92 Trapper .45 Colt-

1964 Glenfield 30/30 converted to .356 Winchester by Jesse Ocumpaugh (JES Reboring)-

#125 ·
My latest... Henry H001 Classic .22LR.

Reactions: bmcgilvray
#126 ·
Henry is now offering some of their rifles with the loading gate! Not all of them but it is a start. In the mean time for those who think that the loading gate is the only way to go I didn't mind at all not having to run every cartridge through the chamber to unload the rifle when I was done hunting...

Silly cat follows me (my therapy animal my wife says!) all around the yard, didn't have the heart to shoot that day-if I'd touched off that .41 Mag there's no telling what county he would have ended up running off to!

Attachments

#127 ·
Nice round .41 Mag!

Loading like that, while not optimal is not the end of the world.

#128 ·
It's nice that Henry gives you both options at once. The loading gate is better for loading, but the removable brass follower makes unloading so much easier.

Something I do wish they would come up with though is a locking tab to keep the follower in the mag tube even when pulled all of the way out for loading. I'm finding it a real PITA to have to pull out the follower on my Henry .22 and either find a way to hold it or place it on a clean surface just so I can reload. If it could simply be locked in the "open" position without falling out it would be a lot easier.

#129 · (Edited)
As likely one of the few people who own a Henry and a Marlin in .41 Remington Magnum I have changed my mind on the loading gate...

At first I thought it was kind of a pain loading the Henry's magazine-but when it comes to the last few rounds the Henry is actually easier because pressing down on the extended follower of the Henry is easier than pushing a cartridge against both the spring of loading gate and the ever more compressed magazine spring.

Ok, so John Wayne found it easier to stay hidden behind a water trough reloading a Winchester than it would have been with a Henry (the Henry would still have been in use even though in lower numbers and somewhat obsolescent) while pinned down by bandits or Comanches that isn't a situation many of us would likely find ourselves in!

Perhaps a test on which is quicker to reload is in order...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.