1911Forum banner

Optics...Reviews and Discussions

52K views 106 replies 49 participants last post by  LW McVay 
#1 ·
Per your request...post 'em up!

#34 ·
Ive not had a failure with a USO or a NF so I suppose its perceived durability. Owning several of each over the years, I just have the idea that I could break a NF before I could a USO. Not exactly a scientific, but its just my opinion. User friendly may have been a better word to use. I like the magnification ring placement on the USO opposed to the whole ocular turning on the NF. I also like the illumination adjustability and the option for covered windage and even elevation knobs.
I could go either way on the reticle clarity.
I dont think a person can go wrong with either. It just depends what options you need.
I have not heard anything about how they are comparing to each other in combat conditions.

#36 · (Edited)
Haven't seen any Nightforce reviews here so I thought I'd offer my thoughts

Picked up a NF NXS 2.5-10x32 (replaced the navspec x24). I like the compactness of the x24, which is about a 1-4x size, but the field of view is obviously better on the 32 and it's still a pretty compact optic. Adjustments are crisp and easy, and the glass is crystal clear and quick to focus. Reticle focus adjustment is also quick and simple. I have the NP1 reticle which is simple and uncluttered. Not as conducive to adjusting on the fly as a mil dot, but I like the simplicity for now. Nice thing is, NF can also swap out the reticle for $250 should I choose to switch. The illumination is also great and has multiple brightness adjustments.

I have this in a LaRue LT104 mount which gives great relief and puts the optic in a natural position without having to use a cheek riser.

Only gripe is the magnification dial, IMO it definitely needs a LaRue cat tail attachment to make the adjustment quicker. All in all, I'd recommend this for a SPR/DMR/etc upper.

#40 ·
Haven't seen any Nightforce reviews here so I thought I'd offer my thoughts ...
Nice scope and review Munch! The 2.5-10x32 has been my dream scope for quite a while now. Out of curiosity, what made you decide not to get the exposed turrets? I immagine that your set-up would be more robust than the exposed turrets when the caps are on. I suppose the choice for me would come down to how much dialing I intended to do in the field.

#37 ·
Nice NF review... I wish NF would make a 1-6 scope...

#42 ·
Leupold makes a VX-6 scope in 1X6.

I am currently looking at one of these for one of my rifles. Leupold is not Nightforce. But I have gotten some pretty good performance out of "some" of the scopes that I have purchased from them. :dope:

#45 ·
About a year and a half ago, I bought a second hand Weaver Classic K-4. It had a lot of miles and a lot of 30-06 ammo under it from a Savage 110 (which is how I got the scope). I shot it a bit on the 110 before I moved it to my 10/22. The fixed 4 power is super light. Less than 10 ounces. It's reasonably compact and the size is perfect for the 10/22. The optics are super clear, and it holds zero with 30-06 or .22lr. My 10/22 is just a fun plinking gun, and as such it gets beat up. This scope is able to take whatever abuse and stay zeroed.

I've been very pleased with the durability and the quality of the glass. If I was ever going to pick up another fixed power, it'd be a Weaver K series.

#46 ·
Just picked up an Aimpoint Comp M4.

I do have a Comp M3 as well so nothing crazy to write home about in terms of performance BUT, I will say this: Aside from my RCO-M4 ACOG; this is the only optic I have left stock out of the box.

The ACOG I will change the mount on but I really like the newer Aimpoint mount. I do agree with Munch though, the knob may get in the way for some.

The rifle it is on but sorry, I haven't taken a pic with the M4 on it:

#50 ·
Optics Review, Nikon P-223 3x32 “Carbine Scope”

The “P” series scopes introduced by Nikon are entry level optics for AR-15 type platforms. Designed for use with .223 caliber 55 grain ammo commonly used by most “plinkers” and varmint hunters for smaller game such as coyotes.

2 types of “P” series scopes are offered. The fixed focus 3x32 reviewed here and a variable focus 3x40 style. Both come sans mounting hardware, Nikon makes a “P” series mounting brackets designed for use on flattop AR-15 platforms. Other rifles will need mounting brackets.

The scope and mounts cost me $149 dollars and $49.00 respectively at a local Wal-Mart excluding tax. I used Bultler Creek "15 and 16" flip up covers to replace the bikini style covers provided by Nikon

I mounted this on a 16” AR-15 I built recently using a Spikes lower with a Palmetto State Armory complete “hammer forged barrel” upper. Mounting was easy using the provided Allen wrenches with the Nikon mount.

I found the reticle to be basic but clear. Simple crosshairs with elevation markings for 200, 400 and 600 yards respectively

I had intended to do both a 50 and 100 yard bench test today 1st time out. That failed to happen mainly due to the fact after I zeroed the scope I started having too much fun at the 50 yard range :p . I’ll do a follow-up 100 yard test 1st chance I get. My normal range only allows 100 yards; I will try and find a 200 yard range as soon as is convenient.

I started my zeroing by working my elevation 1st. 21 rounds 1st target zero looked good.

I then worked on my windage. I deliberately dialed 2-3 clicks both right and left to see how the shots would fall, then adjusted as needed.

25 rounds with the scope zeroed as good as I’m getting.

It’s now time to test one of the features on the scope. I’d read the turret dials had more play in them than some people liked. Nikon’s solution to this is after you zero the scope you can lift the dials and set them to your zero.

If the scope dials get moved for any reason you can just reset to zero and you back on target. I turned both dials a couple clicks off zero and fired then reset to zero as needed.

Every time I tested the feature same end result, scope went back to my zero no troubles.

Final 60 rounds at 50 yards. First 2 rounds I went for the heart then decided it was time for some rapid fire work. As you can see I drifted either to the left center mass or down on my head shots……operator error there.

For a “plinking” or varmint work I consider the P-223 3x32 a good little scope. Myself, I doubt it’ll be much use past 200 yards but the 3x40 variable zoom optic should fill the bill there.

I do intend to test this using heavier grain 5.56 ammo down the road. I’ll update that also as time allows

#57 ·
What's QD??

I just think if something were to happen where I broke the scope it's better to have the MBUS. Better to have it and never need it than need it and not have it.

2nd reason is I'm thinking of getting either a Aimpoint Pro or at least a Vortex "Sparc" for the same rifle and switching back and forth as I feel like it. Better to keep the MBUS then :D

#59 ·
Not a quick disconnect mount. Odd's are if I do try and dual mount between this and a reddot of some type I'll change over to a QD mount of some type. I'm building another AR same specs so I might just leave this one the way it is and do the 2nd build with the reddot....I need a excuse for a 4th AR-15 :p

The way I did mount it is sturdy enough. I actually knocked it off the bench rest a couple times reloading and when I shot the next "set" (I do 6 rounds at a time in groups of 2 shots per) I had no problems at all :D

#60 ·
Don, If you do change your ammo to something heavier, make sure you check out Nikon's Spot On Ballistic Program. You can enter your scope and ammo to get accurate distances for the hashmarks on your P-223 3X Scope. I'm more of a fan of variable power optic's but most of the guy's I talk to about this 3X scope are thrilled with it. Seem's to be big with Texas hog hunters. So much so I still haven't had my hands on one since Shot 2012. Thanks for the post and all the pics, nice job!

#62 ·
Ive got a Schmidt Bender PMII 5-25x56 MRAD CCW w horus 37 on my AI...it rocks and is the clearest glass I have ever looked through. The 37 reticle is a little complicated if you havent used it before, but nothing beats it for long range holdover correction (as with any decent horus reticle really).

#63 ·
Leupold VX-HOG 1-4x20 Pig Plex (NOT FIREDOT). I really like the lay out. Some complain about the words in the reticle but i dont notice them unless im just looking at it. Real vision is about 1.25 or 1.5-4 but I actually like the slight magnification from 1. With the proper eye relief from my adjustable stock, I use two eyes just like with an aimpoint on 1x. The cross hair with the circle is easy to pick up and draws my eyes in fast. I maintain the proper view even when turning and changing targets due to the great eye relief this has. The glass is really clear and could easily be used out to 700+ yards. I was really impressed with this scope and am glad i did not get an Aimpoint of higher magnification scope. Great for close stuff and way out. Almost perfect for my 6.8ARP....

#65 ·
I have a couple of the IOR Valdada scopes myself.

I am pretty happy with them. I kind of think of them as a poor man's S&B. I have a couple of S&Bs also and they are the holy grail of optics as far as I am concerned. But just ridiculous in price.

#66 · (Edited)
Yeah, last year I investigated and investigated til I had had it. Originally, I was getting glass for my two SCAR's (16 & 17) and was going with the IOR 1-10 x 26 35mm SFP ELIMINATOR, but ended up putting it on the back burner. And at least they have iron sights. Now that I've got my new bolt, optics are a necessity and that led me back to IOR and a different scope for it. I like the way it looks, the quality, and it's very solid. Also, this one is the newest out with it being newly re-built inside and out. Alot of good optics out there (too many - whew) and according to alot of people in the know, it's one of the best if not the best for the money. Anyway, it's the one I chose and it'll perform better than me. And it was at the top of my price point.

#68 · (Edited)
1-4 mini review

Wanted to throw up some thoughts on a 1-4 Leupold I've had for a month or two now.

Before purchasing, I considered the following: Vortex PST 1-4, SWFA 1-4, Weaver 1-5, Leupold MKIV 1-5.

Leupold VX-R patrol 1.25-4x20 with illuminated SPR reticle
ADM Recon mount

Pros:
Cost (got it for a little above $500 with tax, street price is $579 if you can find one in stock)
Mil/mil
Great glass
Weight (11.6oz)
Good illumination
Holdover values calibrated for 5.56 and 7.62
Great feeling turrets (a la Nughtforce) with very positive clicks
Illumination auto off/motion-activated auto on
Very unobtrusive illumination dial (button)

Cons:
Stupid white writing everywhere
Not a true 1 power
Illumination button slower to adjust than a dial
No capped turrets
No zero stop

Here's the best review I've found: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=136078

#69 ·
Might want to try the SWFA next time....a little more money, but worth it.

#70 ·
I like the donut reticle at 1x but can't stand how obtrusive it becomes at 4x. So the added cost and weight weren't worth it.

Who knows, might try it again down the road though.

#75 ·
Review, Nikon M-223 32 2x8 Scope

I bought this scope recently for my 2nd AR-15 build, Bravo Company 16” Middy upper on a Spikes lower with PSA build kit.

Scope itself comes with Nikon brand flip up covers. Those seem flimsy and I might need to replace down the road, they’ll do for now though.

I used the Nikon M-223 mount, it’s a solid 1 piece unit that allows the user to mount as needed if wanting to retain a BUIS, as I did.

I found the reticle to be clear, simple crosshairs. Unlike the P-223 3x32 fixed scope on another AR I have I found the variable 2-8 a nice touch. At 50 yards I had no need for my spotting scope, and even at 100 yards I could see the target well enough (which was good since I forget to bring the &^%$ spotting scope today!!)

I started my sighting in at 50 yards, no playing with boresighting…..just cold turkey

As you can see, takes me a few rounds to walk it up to zero (with 2 flyers to the left there)

2nd session I call my “screw up” round. Thinking I could go a “tad” right I dial that and of course turn the windage knob the wrong direction!! (and like I’m the 1st guy who’s done that)

Walking it back to the right , I used the head shots to figure out that as I go

Back to where I should be, 1 “flyer” there but I figure that would be a lung.

Last rounds that day sitting freehanded, I always drift to the left when I shoot freehand, I know its trigger placement…. Not enough range time this year (damn ammo shortage has cut range time down big time this year)

Time for the 100 yard range. This was a couple weeks later due to weather.

Looks like good zero at 100 yards, only issue today is I’m shaky to start out.

2nd target I steady up more. Tried a few head shots, zombies are safe another week.

Last target “rapid” fire (range rule is I have to count 1000-1 between rounds, go figure), you can see I’m all over the place by the end but still on target.

I would say the M-223 is a good little scope for the money, more than enough for range plinking or varmint hunting. The only down side I can see is the cheap covers.

Nikon does have a online sight for different weight rounds. Also the elevation dial has indents out to 600 yards, once you zero at 100 yards you can dial that as needed. The turrets themselves have a nice positive lock to them IMO.

I’d buy another at the right price, been wanting a reason for a Mini 14 anyway (maybe Santa will bring me one )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.