1911Forum banner

Bolt Gun Pics

349K views 650 replies 260 participants last post by  Kent Dorfman 
#1 · (Edited)
Can we sticky a bolt gun picture thread? We've had a few good ones going in the past but they end up sliding down the food chain into oblivion. Shotty's, AR15's and M1's have one....how about some bolt gun love? :biglaugh:

Here is my only current bolt gun. Nothing special, just a No4 Mk1. I'm working towards a Remington 700 though.

See less See more
#34 ·
Savage 10FCP .308 McMillan

Took the first pic before any shots were fired from it, and never thought to take "after" pics of the target, so I don't have a target showing the grouping. It's an EGW base, and I put a cheap scope and rings on it that I borrowed from a buddy so I could shoot it and see it's potential. It shot 3-round ragged-hole groups at 100 yds off the tool box and a flannel shirt...:biglaugh:

I need to get some good glass on it and get on my buddy's 800 yd range! :rock:

This post has been deleted
#40 · (Edited)
Love my Remy 700s...

Beautiful AICS stocks Lazy Eyed Sniper! A green AICS 2.0 is in my very near future. My barreled 700 XCR Compact action and scope are now sitting naked since selling the standard stock. :biglaugh:

PS- can you give me info on the rail under the black 2.0 stock (where you have your VFG attached)? I'm going to mount my Harris bipod on a LaRue QD mount but I need a rail to attach it to.

#44 ·
Gents,

Finally getting around to posting some pics of my "serious" bolt rifles...

G.A. Precision .338 Lapua w/MK IV M1 16X Luppie:

Winchester Stealth .223 Rem w/Luppie 3.5 X 10X MK IV LR scope in Badger Ordnance Rings and mount:

M40A1 7.62 X 51MM: Obermeyer 5R barrel, McMillan stock, Badger Ordnance rings and mounts, Luppie MK IV M1 10X w/mil-dot reticle. Little guy is my spotter "Buddy". This is my favorite rifle.

Another shot of the M40A1. Lower rifle is my LRB ARMS M14SA. Both are winners.

Remington 700 VS in .223 with McMilland stock and laminated stock. This is my project rifle. Haven't decided on caliber yet...

I have a number of custom hunting rifles that I'll try to get pics up soon.

These rifles have all stood the test of time and are 1/2- MOA shooters when I do my part. The M40A1 is a 1/4 MOA rifle when the loose nut behind the buttplate gets his "feces cohesive"...

Enjoy.

Wes

#45 · (Edited)
I finally got my new furniture for my Remington 700 XCR Compact Tactical (in .308). I went with an Accuracy International AICS 2.0 folding stock. My primary mode of transportation to the range is my motorcycle so I wanted something fairly short for the bike. With the 20" barrel and folding stock it comes to exactly 32". Not too shabby. In fact, with a sock covering the barrel it is pretty discrete. In this picture it is in my Kifaru Express backpack, which is not a large pack at all.

Obligatory bike with rifle shot:

The Harris bipod is on a LaRue Tactical quick detach mount, mounted on a picatinny rail I had added to the bottom of the stock:

Only one brief (one hour) trip to the range so far, and the light was dimming (yep, the excuses are starting already :biglaugh:). My 5 shot group at 100 yards with 65degree temps, little to no breeze, 168 grain Hornady BTHP...it measures just under 1.5". nothing to write home about but most of that was my fault. The rifle is going to shoot great. I shot a 3 round group just before this one that measured well under an inch but it was on the cardboard so I didn't save it. This is going to be a great gun once I learn to drive it a little better. 5 rounds (looks like 4 but double check the middle hole):

#49 · (Edited)
Here's a picture of my Browning A-Bolt Medallion in .300 Win Mag...she shoots less than 1" groups at 100 yards with just reloads as the only thing different about her...soon to have a new scope (longer range shooting) and new stock (gun got caught on the canvas around a tripod stand a few years back and it went all the way down the ladder- scratching the whole stock all the way down:bawling:) on her :rock:

Best shooting gun I've ever owned...had her for 7 years on Dec. 25 :rock:

Edit: The glue in the picture was from another project that I forgot to move for the picture lol it has nothing to do with the gun :biglaugh:

#51 ·
Closest rifle is an Accuracy International AW chambered in 6CM. The scope is a S&B 5-25 and the suppressor is a Shark. The barrel is a Krieger chambered by Dave Bruno. I normally use Lilja barrels, but Dave had this one in stock and he is set up to do metric threads.

The other is an Accuracy International AWM in 338 Lapua. The scope is a S&B 5-25 and the suppressor is a SureFire. With 250 gn bullets the recoil is not bad. But when you get the 300s up to speed, it can knock you around a bit.

#55 ·
Thanks for the explanation Tom! One of these days I'm going to have to get into reloading. The whole reason I went with .308 was to be able to have a decent selection of factory ammo. Sooner or later I may break down and try my hand at reloading though. :biglaugh:

#56 ·
It's worth every penny invested. FGMM costs about 46-60 a box around here and I can reload better ammo for my rifle for 12.00 for the same size box. Really no comparision. And you get better accuracy once you neck size because the back end of the case doesn't expand any more it's just the neck expanding each time.

Once you switch you will swear by it. My groups shrunk by almost half.

Good luck,
Merritt

#62 ·
..some really BEAUTIFUL guns guys.

Ruger 77MKII .350 RM shortened to 18.25" along with a Remingtom M600 also in .350 RM...

Remington 700 Youth/synthetic with B-Square Scout Mount...

Remington 600 .308 with Leupold Detacho mount and 2.5 power Redfield scope...

Ruger Frontier .308....

Three Ruger 77MKIIs in 7.62x39.....

They shoot well....

Bob

#66 ·
1998 Savage 10FP Tactical (pre-Accu-trigger/Accu-stock)

2nd Gen. 4.275" Tactical short action; 1:10 twist 20" heavy contour, button rifled, free floating, recessed crown barrel; 4-round internal box magazine; SharpShooter Supply competition trigger, SSS kelvar-fiberglass 2.5" semi-flat wide beavertail forend thumbhole stock, and SSS black tactical bolt handle; Leupold Vari-X III 4.5-14x50 Long Range Tactical Mil-Dot scope (SKU #51668 w/ 100 MOA elevation + windage adjustment, wire USMC oval Mil-Dot reticule; predecessor to Mark 4 #54560) mounted on Leupold STD low 30mm rings with STD one piece base over a 15MOA shim; Butler Creek flip up scope covers; Boonie sling with cling-coated Boonie locking swivels; Gibbs M8500 bipod (Parker Hale copy)

Consistently shoots sub 0.4 MOA (usually between 0.25 and 0.385) with 168 BTHP over a stiff load of Varget.