1911Forum banner

Bolt Gun Pics

349K views 650 replies 260 participants last post by  Kent Dorfman 
#1 · (Edited)
Can we sticky a bolt gun picture thread? We've had a few good ones going in the past but they end up sliding down the food chain into oblivion. Shotty's, AR15's and M1's have one....how about some bolt gun love? :biglaugh:

Here is my only current bolt gun. Nothing special, just a No4 Mk1. I'm working towards a Remington 700 though.

See less See more
#459 ·
We are looking forward to heating up the barrel on our latest.

Now that the weather is improving. We are getting pumped.

Attachments

#460 ·
My old Remington 700 30-06 L/A with a lefty Boyd's stock, an accu-riser cheek pad and a Vortex Diamondback 4-12x40 scope on it. It can actually take stripper clips lol. I bought it for my bedding class with Speedy. The bluing on it was not so good so I refinished it in Gun-Kote titanium. It didn't come with the original stock and came with the Remington fiberglass stock. I also had to shorten the stock to my LOP and fit the pad to it. It has a nice clean trigger.

#469 ·
Most of mine are a little on the old side. :p

M81 Swiss Vetterli (1887)
M1938 K.Kale Turkish Mauser (1942)
M91/30 Russian Mosin Nagant (1939)
Type 99 Japanese Arisaka (Around 1941)
No.4 MK 1* Lee Enfield (1941-1944)
M95/30 Austrian Steyr Mannlicher (1917)
M1891 TS Italian Carcano (1918)

#471 · (Edited)
out on my home rifle range with my custom built longrange hunter chambered in 7mm Remington Mag. Shooting groups out to 200 yards with reloads I loaded with Barnes 145gr. LXR BT bullet, Winchester Super X cases w\neck turned, R22 Powder, Winchester LR Primers.
built off a Savage 100E long action blue printed with 26" Hart #4 Barrel w\JP Enterprise Recoil Eliminator, Timney Trigger set @ 2lb, Choate Vertical Grip Stock, Vortex Optic w\ Kenton Custom Ballistic Turrets, 10 M O A EGW 1-Piece Picatinny Base. Shoots extremely well zero'd @ 200yards, less than 1\2| M O A @ 100 yards.

my custom built sporterized Type 99 Arisaka. it's chambered in 7.7X58jap, Barnes .311 150gr. TSX (triple shock X), Norma cases I turn the necks, Winchester LR Primers, IMR 4064 powder.

Type 99 Arisaka Japanese battle rifle in WWII. This rifle went threw major transformation. The only original parts that are from the Japanese battle rifle is the action & bolt assembly & the trigger guard w/ floor plate, everything else is total custom. I kept this project rifle in its original caliber 7.7X58 Jap. I wanted some nostalgia meaning to the rifle as many soldiers sporterized them as hunting rifles when they took them home as souvenirs. Me I went all out, custom stock (Bishop) I bought partially in-letted 75% finished. I shaped it then finished it in a dark walnut w/tru-oil, installed pillar system, bedded the action. Installed a Timney trigger. The bolt assembly I took completely a part and polished all the parts, then applied a coating that is a dry film lubricant then baked it on. I burnish the coating to bring it to a greyish tone and slicks the finish. The action I sent off to a client of mine Bob Bailey of Bailey Signature Firearms to have the custom barrel work done. Bob's work is beyond awesome.

The action was fitted with a Shilen Barrel "bull type". The finish I put on the barreled/action is a moly coating by KG Gun Kote of KG Industries. The colors I used were Matte Black Gun Kote, & Gun Metal Blue Gun Kote (satin finish) . The matte black gun kote was used on the interior of the receiver & bolt handle. The gun metal blue moly was used on the exterior of the action, barrel assembly, the trigger guard & floor plate, all the mounting screws. The KG Gun Kote Gun Metal Blue finish has that look, feel and finger prints exactly like regular traditional gun bluing, but has the durability of a military moly coating. I am a firearm re-finisher by trade.

The scope base was made from a solid stock of picatinny rail. I used my bench top milling machine to cut the exact radius on the scope base (underneath) as the same radius of top the receiver. Then drilled & tap the receiver. I also notch the rail system above the ejection port of the action so the empty cartridge dispenses with ease. The rings that hold the scope was a chore, I wanted vintage style 1" high mount rings for the nostalgia look and since I heated and turn down the bolt handle (from a straight style to a bend) for that same nostalgia reasons. The rings for the scope took me 7 months to find. Not many of them around anymore, lots of copies but very few of the actual authentic vintage Weaver "Hinged High Mount Rings". I found some on ebay of all places. These were used and bit rusty do to the age, so I re-finished them in a KG Gun Kote Matte Black along with the picatinny scope mount rail. The scope on this rifle is Vortex. I am a huge fan of Vortex Optics, just about every firearm I own has Vortex Optics on them. This particular rifle has their Diamondback series 42mm X 3 X 9 variable w/ duplex reticle. This rifle is a pin pusher, it can dang near put a bullet in the same hole @ 100 yards, if I'm doing my part behind the gun.

The leather sling I had custom made was by Levergun Leather Works, Athol, ID. The work he did was magnificent, the best I've seen. The sling has silver concho's on it with lots of tooling.

Both rifles I have some money into, both rifles I done all the finish work on, both rifles are extremely accurate.

#472 · (Edited)
My wife's deer rifle. Marlin XS7 Youth .243Win. I had it re-chambered to.243 Ackley. I sent the rifle off to a client to have some work done; barrel & action trued, re-chambered the barrel to ackely improved & went to a larger size mounting holes from #6-48 to #8-40.

I re-finished the entire rifle; stock, barreled action, bolt assembly, rings base & and I wanted to put a custom finish on her hunting rifle. Working on my customers firearms & doing her's in-between I finally finished up on all the new finish work & accessories. I re-assembly of her rifle, cycled it to check for any hick-up's. Ran flawlessly. My wife Sally picked out the new finish both camo & solid color moly.

I am a firearm re-finisher by trade & have been for almost 15yrs.

I applied the finish to her rifle stock with hydro-graphic camo printing, the pattern is Mossy Oak Break Up Country & I clear coated the stock w\ low luster satin finish, 3 layers of clear then baked on for durability.

The barreled action, EGW Picatinny/Weaver-style scope base, Warne Rings, bolt sleeve; back-end of bolt, I finished in KG Gun Kote Texas Tea moly coating, which is a baked on finish. The bolt assembly I finished all the internals with a wet\dry performance coating lubricant that is baked-on. The exterior of the bolt assembly & charging handle I finished in a military grade Na No finish in dead flat black moly finish.

The new sling is 1 1\2" wide webbed nylon Victory Series 2 Point sling by Blue Force Gear, the new sling swivels are 1 1\2" GrovTec Mil-Force.
I couldn't be any happier how it came out. She'll be one happy huntress.

working up new load for Sally's deer rifle. Tried a few different bullets, powders, load variations in of 4's. Looks to be I may have found a powder & bullet combination that will lead me in the direction of what accuracy i am trying to achieve. Fire formed Winchester cases .243 Ackely Improved, IMR 3031 powder, Winchester primers, Sierra GameKing 100gr. spitzer boatail bullet, OAL 2.715" length. 100 yards @ my home rifle range. Just a little more tweaking and I may have a nice whitetail load for Sally's rifle.
I'm a Barnes bullet fan, this rifle didn't care too much for them, tried the Hornady A-Max 105's respectable, but the Sierra Game Kings, wow! really like out-come so far. I'll worry about the elevation adjustment when I tighten up this group more.

#473 · (Edited)
Between one of my clients & myself the work done on this firearm was gift for my wife Sally, April of 2016 this year made for 11 years clean from cancer. She didn't even know her rifle was missing from the safe. She was totally surprised. When I showed her rifle in pieces and had her pick out the finish, that the cake. She personalized her hunting rifle.

#475 · (Edited)
Well, nearly 6 years after I started this thread, I finally have a bolt action to contribute. :D

My newest bolt gun is a Yugoslavian Mauser M48 (not the "A" or "BO" model), circa 1952. It appears to be in unissued condition, and shows just a few marks from storage and handling.

I spent the last few days doing a complete cosmoline removal of the stock and metal, then sanded the stock and I've applied the first coat of pure tung oil. Here she is (PS- I have the sight hood removed until I sight her in at the range this weekend, then I'll reinstall it):

#480 ·
Spent some time today at the range with my Remington 40X 22 lr repeater.

Found a cat sized bush about 465-467 yards away. The wind died down quite a bit and TimK and I started plinking away.

It took about 35-36 feet of elevation to connect. Once we had it dialed in, hitting that bush was pretty easy.

Tried to hit the 600 yard targets but didn't have the time/energy/motivation to keep plinking. Just seeing the hits at 465 was a challenge.

Very very very happy with my conversion. Two of three rifles are done. Number three will get the conversion by Jonathan Elrod in a month or two.

This one has a Lilja 17 inch barrel and a JET Integral suppressor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orqJ1EPKmtU

#481 ·
Thanks for sharing Tom, and awesome video!

If I shot that fast my target would look like a 00 buck pattern at 25 yards. :dope::rofl:

Who knew bolt actions could be so addicting. My new Sako has instantly become my favorite firearm possession...and I find myself wanting a Sako 85 Grizzly in 8x57IS as well...

#485 · (Edited)
My Sako 85 Bavarian in 6,5x55 Swedish Mauser
More photos of her will be coming. Katja was my model for some glamor photo shoots on vacation.:rofl:

I forgot to mention, I've had a couple chances to shoot it now and this thing is a tack driver! I'm not a good rifle shot, and I was able to get a 5 shot .6" group at 100 yards with factory Lapua 139 grain ammo.

(PS-click on the picture to enjoy the full-size)

#486 ·
Those are some beautiful rifles you guys. Especially like that SAKO 85. Only have a couple centerfire bolt guns myself. My favorite, even though it beats me up, is my Remington Model 660 in .350 Remington Magnum with Leupold M8-2X scope.

My other centerfire bolt gun is a bit unusual too I think. Its a stainless Ruger M77 in 7.62X39.

Attachments