1911Forum banner

I need some Darne help!

3K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  jkingrph 
#1 ·
Inherited my Grandfather's 16ga Darne double barrel shotgun. I want to disassemble it to clean but don't know how. I would appreciate any help. Also, the gun has lots of scratches and is well used, (granddad was a avid bird hunter), should I continue to use it or just put it over the mantle? I have heard not to use steel shot in an old double barrel. Is that true?

#2 ·
Sorry, I do not know how to get into a Darne. There is a shotgun forum somewhere, maybe somebody knows the code.

It is a good strong gun, no reason not to hunt with it another century.
But it is not rated for steel shot. I would pay the price for some bismuth shot just to bag a duck or goose with Grandpa's gun.

#3 ·
JBC,
1) It might be wise to check the chamber length (printed on the barrels usually) before firing your Grandfather's Darne shotgun. Some older 16 gauge shotguns had shorter chambers (2 9/16"?) instead of the current 2 3/4". Current shells will seat fully in the shorter chambers but when fired will open up into the barrel throat forcing cone, thus possibly raising pressures.
Note: Despite this, by my measurements modern 20 gauge 2 3/4 inch shells open up to about 2 9/16" which makes me wonder at this oft repeated warning.

2) How far do you want to disassemble the Darne for cleaning? Technically, you only have to open a double gun as to load it and everything is readily accessible for cleaning. Brush out barrels and wipe off action face.

3) If you want to remove barrels, first make sure gun is NOT LOADED! Then on most modern double guns, close barrels to action and look at bottom of fore-end piece. There is usually a small latch in the bottom of fore-end which when raised will allow the fore-end to be removed from barrels. The barrels can then usually be rotated and lifted off from action/receiver. This is all you ever want to disassemble any double gun for cleaning. Some of these details may be different on your Darne but the principle should be the same.

Good luck, good shooting and be safe.
LB

#5 ·
I realize this is an old thread but a couple of things need clarifying.
1 the barrels do not slide forward, pull up and back on the toggle and the breech block slides back.

2 to remove the barrels, slide the breech back and there is a metal bar that looks like an arched leaf spring in the cavity behind the barrels. Press down firmly with a piece of wood or anything, I like wood because it does not scratch.
Next bump or bounce the muzzel end of the barrels on the floor, with some kind of padding or block of wood to prevent damage, and the will slide back and can be lifted off.

WIth the breech block back there is a little hump on the underside, and by pressing on it and moving the toggle forward a little, the breech block can be moved back and removed.

That is all the dissasembly that is recommended, as these are very precise and complicated actions.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.