1911Forum banner

The Mossberg 590A1 Line

16K views 38 replies 22 participants last post by  fowler 
#1 · (Edited)
This brand and line of shotguns got my attention lately. I started watching lots of Youtube videos. One, that to me stands out in particular, are the reviews of " Hickock 45 ".

The man is very fortright and objective with his reviews, not to mention he is an awesome shot. Well, not as fast Jerry Miculeck, but quite fast with a pump action shotgun.

I am overwhelmed by the number of model choices in the Mossberg 590 A1 series.

To those that own this particular brand and model of shotgun, kindly give your feedback into the gun. What you like or don't like, things you want to change or modify to make the gun suit your needs better.

Thanks.

#2 · (Edited)
Off the top of my head I'd be hard pressed to make any significant changes. It's a fantastic pump tactical. Only thing I've done is add a TLR-1 light. I prefer the action release where it is compared to the Remmy's. Don't have to shift your shooting grip to actuate. Like the dull black finish, fitment of everything is spot-on, easy to take down and clean. Runs great and ejects shells in a neat pile, well, for the most part.
Mine has the 18.5" bbl and ghost ring sight. Might install a shell holder some day. The 590A1 rocks!
Have several other shotguns and I like this one right behind my Benelli M4 autoloader.
Took pics before adding the tac light.

Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Rifle

Firearm Gun Trigger Shotgun Rifle

#3 ·
One potentially important downfall....

Preloading the forend with tension, such as might occur when attempting to pull the weapon tight into your shoulder, can lead to the weapon then not unlocking after the shot, i.e., tension on the cycling mechanism must be released before the action can be cycled.

As someone who used a Winchester 1300 Defender for years, this is something that should be corrected, in my opinion.

#4 ·
I love mine! If you get one, get it with the 20" barrel so you get 9-shots and a bayonet lug. :)
I have added a Magpul buttstock and Magpul forend. The length of pull is now 12.5" and the OAL is shorter than my 18.5" Remington Police.
The action is extremely slick and smooth and requires less effort to cycle than the Remington. The safety and action release are in great places and despite being an 870 owner for several years before getting a Mossberg, I instantly loved the open loading port and loathe the Remington's loading gate now.

It took me a while to get over the old-man stigma in my head about an aluminum receiver over steel. I was ignorant and thought the steel receiver would be stronger, which I guess is true but I don't think the receiver does much since the barrel extension locks up to the bolt to contain the shot. Only downside is I scratched my receiver badly by putting the gun down when carrying it and accidentally grazing a rock. I can't touch it up with cold bluing since it's aluminum. But it's a fighting shotgun, not a Perazzi.

The gun is pretty damn heavy, and in stock form my 870 Police seemed much more maneuverable, though the shorter butt stock and more useable forend grip seem to help with that.

I had a small problem with the gun when I got it, the ball detent in the barrel came out and had to be peened over by a gunsmith. The forend seems more wobbly than my solid 870 but it doesn't bother me. I think the 590A1 configuration feels extremely solid, just as muchso as the 870, but the 500 feels lighter and perhaps a touch flimsy.

I am in love with the ghost ring sights with buck and slugs. They're slightly slower than my 870's bead.

#5 ·
I love mine! If you get one, get it with the 20" barrel so you get 9-shots and a bayonet lug. :)
I have added a Magpul buttstock and Magpul forend. The length of pull is now 12.5" and the OAL is shorter than my 18.5" Remington Police.
The action is extremely slick and smooth and requires less effort to cycle than the Remington. The safety and action release are in great places and despite being an 870 owner for several years before getting a Mossberg, I instantly loved the open loading port and loathe the Remington's loading gate now.
This all the way. The only regret I have is that I didn't get the ghost ring sight model, but really the bead is more than sufficient for myself, and most other users. You saw Hickok45's video.

The 18.5" barrel was tempting, but the 20" happened to be available...and it has a bayonet lug...what more could you ask for?!?

The magpul furniture, while not a cheap upgrade, is worth every penny if you're like me and have T-Rex arms.

#6 · (Edited)
I wasn't aware Magpul made anything for the 590, I'll have to check that out for myself.

The only downside I will say about the 590 is because of the safety position you can't use a pistol grip very effectively. But if that isn't an issue I think its hands down better than the 870.

I also have the 20" model, 9 shots is great but it is a little lengthy for a home defense gun. But as an all around tactical shotgun its fantastic! Reloads are nice and fast with no loading gate in the way, and the position of the slide release behind the trigger guard is natural and fast to use if you happen to do a lot of load changes like swapping buck for slugs and such.

#7 ·
Rxwatcher,
I have taken a photo of my 870 Police Magnum 18.5" with my 590A1 20" to show the size difference with the Magpul buttstock. Without any spacers, the Mossberg is ever so slightly shorter than the 870P (even with 1.5" more barrel in the Mossberg's case). Both guns come in just under 39".

#9 ·
not an a1 owner, but a 590 special purpose owner checking in.

changes I have made, or would make.

a...ghost ring sights...very sought after option. they sell out fast. if you buy them, front sight MUST be silver soldered onto barrel.

b...no threads for choke? really? every projectile is a liability.

c...damn, that stock is short!

d...damn...there aren't a hell of a lot of accessories for these. (not like the remmies, at least)

otherwise, I will take a mossy over a remmie any day. used to safety and slide release locations. had I grown up with an 870, it'd be a different matter.

#11 ·
B:

Honestly, I've never found the need to change a choke in any of the 3 12ga guns that I've owned. Doubt I ever will.

C:

For a moment I thought you were referring to the OEM stock...I was going to have you committed.

D:

Mostly compatible with all 500 accessories, so yeah there's plenty out there.

#10 ·
Neither my wife nor I would make any changes to our 590A1s. My is the full size one with the pointless bayonet lol and hers is the shortened length of pull one. They are our primary home defense guns with a 1911 for me as backup and a glock 9mm for her backup. Yea I know plastic for her but she, as much as it pains me to say, doesn't like how 1911s feel in hand. Beat part is her 590a1 was what she wanted for an anniversary present lol. Here they are :).

Attachments

#13 ·
Great workhorse shotguns, I wouldn't hesitate to take my on-duty, but I use the Benelli these days...
When I first got mine, I was disappointed by how many add-ons were available (not that it needs very many anyway)...But as of late, I've been glad to see that Magpul and others are offering several upgrades to the platform

#14 · (Edited)
Hey gang,

I ordered the Mossberg 590A1 " US Service Model " last July 2nd from Impact Guns, and got an email ONLY today that my shotgun is finally shipping.

It is a very simple setup, just a bead sight, metal trigger assembly, steel safety, and the usual heavy-walled 20 inch barrel. I just couldn't resist the very tempting price.

Anyways, I am soooo glad to join your ranks. Thanks for all your postings!

I intend to break her down when I have her, to totally disassemble, clean, and oil even the trigger assembly. I've been stashing on some birdshots, 00 buckshots, and the
interesting.......slugs!

#15 ·
Hey gang,

I ordered the Mossberg 590A1 " US Service Model ".
It is a very simple setup, just a bead sight, metal trigger assembly, steel safety, and the usual heavy-walled 20 inch barrel. I just couldn't resist the very tempting price.

I've been stashing on some birdshots, 00 buckshots, and the
interesting.......slugs!

That's the same one I have, it's a workhorse.

Just FYI, that birdshot is going to pattern minute of barn door at 25 yards :rolleyes:
Doesn't matter how long your barrel is, no choke and birdshot is never a good combination.

00 Buck and slugs are fun, but it'll take you a minute to figure out how to aim the slugs with the bead sight. You'll see this when you get it, the receiver has a groove of sorts along the spine. If you use that like a rear sight you can actually be pretty accurate with it.
It'd be better if you had the ghost-ring sights for slugs, but for most shooting the bead sight is plenty.

#16 · (Edited)
Thanks for the advise, RxWatcher. If I find the bead sight very limiting in its use, I would spend the extra money to upgrade.

I did anticipate that I may have to upgrade a few features of the Mossy, just not sure which parts, this, being my first shotgun. Hence, my opting for a " basic " looking model.

Thanks again.

#21 ·
I have a 500A and a 930.

I am pretty happy with both of them. Actually I was in the hobby shop the other day. They have a new model of home defense shotgun out that looked pretty nice. It is new to me at least. The model 88, anybody have any skinny on these puppies?

#22 · (Edited)
..................... They have a new model of home defense shotgun out that looked pretty nice. It is new to me at least. The model 88, anybody have any skinny on these puppies?
Mossberg calls it the " Maverick 88 " line of shotguns.

I've seen two of them, the Maverick 88 Security, at Big 5 Sporting Goods Store. Both were 12 gauge, had a 20 inch barrel, black synthetic stock, blued finish, and a simple bead sight. They were on sale, price was in the " high " $200.00 (California's criminal price). They are lighter in weight compared to the 590A1 line of shotguns, no doubt due to the " heavy-walled " barrel of the 590A1's.

For an entry-level shotguns they seem to be well made: the trigger assembly is plastic, a crossbolt safety instead of tang safety, they have the same 2 extractors as the more expensive line, twin action bars, and the same anti-jam elevator. I just don't know how Mossbergs can offer them at a cheaper price. They are made somewhere in Texas.

Unlike the Mossberg 500's where you can upgrade the stock plastic trigger assembly by dropping in the metal ones from the 590A1 line, you cannot do this to the Maverick 88s. The barrels can be interchange with the 500s.

That's all I know.

#24 · (Edited)
Hey Gang,

I found what I needed to upgrade on my Mossberg 590A1.

The stock is too long for comfort. Its was a real stretch for me cycling the forend, my arms fatigued easily as well as had back/shoulder pain on short order of use.

I am not too enamored of the Magpul SGA: don't like that " bended " look at the grip area, sorry guys.

I saw an ATI Akita while browsing the internet. I like the way it looks, the cheek piece, and they are cheaper than the Magpul. This seems to be what I am looking for.

Any feedback from those who has 'em??

Thanks guys.

#32 · (Edited)
I am not too enamored of the Magpul SGA: don't like that " bended " look at the grip area, sorry guys.

I saw an ATI Akita while browsing the internet. I like the way it looks, the cheek piece, and they are cheaper than the Magpul. This seems to be what I am looking for.

Any feedback from those who has 'em??
I have both.

The ATI Akita is excellent. Really like the recoil pad. After shooting mine for a while I found I could not adjust the cheek piece. Screws are still secure and not stripped, but I cannot move them. At maximum hight, I still needed a higher comb with a red dot mounted on my 590A1.

I purchased the Magpul SGA Stock primarily for the interchangeable combs.
I have found it to be an excellent stock. One shortcoming is that the design does not allow for clearance of the trigger group for take down. As designed, you would have to loosen the stock bolt each time you remove the trigger group. A few seconds with a Dremel tool solved this problem and the trigger group now pivots out of the receiver as it should. To be honest, this modification could be accomplished with a sharp knife. Not very much material needs to be removed. Also really like the optional single point sling adapter.

Hope this helps.

#25 · (Edited)
Guys,

Another project I did: I polished the chamber of my shotgun. From the factory, I could discern some speckles of rust on the chamber and it was a little rough than I like.

First, using some bronse-bristlled brush, I brushed and cleaned the barrel with Hoppe's 9. Then, using copius amounts of my favorite......Eds Red and using some scouring pad, alternating with 1500 then 2000 grit sandpaper and using just my hand and fingers, I was able to produce a nicely polished and clean chamber that is more to my liking. Dried it completely and wiped-in a thin layer of synthetic oil!

That's it.

PS: I think I'll keep the factory stock for the time being.

#30 ·
I've put quite a few rounds through an 18.5" 500A. Loved it but it kicked like a mule.

I decided to uprgade to an 8 shot 870 Police and I hate it.

The stock doesn't fit me and the loading gate gets on my nerves.

I just ordered me a 6 shot 590A1 for myself. Hope I like it as much as that 'ol 500A...

#31 ·
I guess I will jump in here. I have run a 590 for many years. Mine is so old, it has a plastic trigger-guard and the barrel is not a "heavy" version.

Love the damn thing.

I personally feel the manual of arms of the Mossberg is akin to a modern striker-fired pistol, where the 870 is like a DA/SA.

I'll take a Mossberg all day, everyday and twice on Sunday.

I don't hate 870's. Far from it. But to me a Mossberg is my comfort-zone.

TTR

#37 ·
You have no front sight!

I have a 590A1 20" with ghost ring sights and speed feed stock. Only mods are a side saddle and electrical tape on the edges of a sticky butt stock. It has a long LOP but I have long arms. I wish it had choke tubes, mostly for running trap loads on steel. A full tube makes the steel go down harder and at farther distances.

#39 ·
Yep the 590a1 is more reliable than the rem.870 . less prone to jam,faster to reload and easy to work on. The military has and still uses 100,000 of them since 1991. Not Remington. They did not pass the tests. The M4 bennelli is a jam master in the sand box. The mossy 590A1 just plain works!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.