1911Forum banner

7.62x39mm gel test: Winchester 120 gr PDX1 fired from 10.5" & 16" AKs

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Andrew Wiggin 
#1 ·
7.62x39mm gel test: Winchester 120 gr PDX1 video link

Winchester 120 gr PDX1 fired from 10.5" Zastava M92 PAP and 16" WASR-10/63 into calibrated 10% gelatin.

BB: 593.5 fps, 3.6"

16" WASR-10/63

Impact velocity: 2,362 fps
Penetration: greater than 22.5"
Retained weight: N/A
Max expansion: N/A
Min expansion: N/A

I shot this portion of the test twice and both times the bullet fragmented dramatically and the remaining portion left the block at an oblique angle.

10.5" M92 PAP

Impact velocity: 2,182 fps
Penetration: 12.9"
Retained weight: 111.4 gr
Max expansion: 1.048"
Min expansion: 0.193"

Please bear in mind that the expansion figures here are not proper. The bullet was completely mangled and there was no real expansion.

I don't often give my opinion in the description but I think this one merits a quick note. It certainly appears that this bullet would be useful for defense. Both tests shown and the one that I omitted indicate that the bullet will meet the minimum penetration requirement while producing substantial stretch cavity and fragmentation. It bothers me that the recovered bullet is so beat up, though. This certainly could be a viable self defense option but I think it bears a lot more testing.

See less See more
#4 ·
I stated that , what advantages do you feel these have over the surplus ball and hollow point/ soft point bulk steel cased ammo on the market?

#6 ·
I'm not sure there is any substantive advantage over Russian soft point or 8M3/8HP open tip. Maybe a little better QC. The box says it's supposed to be low flash. I had intended to test accuracy but had scope mounting trouble at last minute. I'll probably retest this load to see if I can get a bullet fired from the 16" barrel to stop in the block. At that time I'll also accuracy test it. That said, it it's almost certainly more accurate than typical Russian steel cased ammo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.