1911Forum banner

Lever action guys; where can I find a Marlin 1894 Cowboy?

7K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Diamond LawDawg 
#1 ·
I want a Marlin Cowboy with the octagonal barrel in .44 magnum, 20 inch preferably. The ones made in CT. But they're impossible to find. Are these things THAT rare?
I wish I bought one when they were still made. :bawling:

#3 ·
Remington seems to have their act in order, and have started producing 1894 and 1895 Cowboy models again. I have a new 1895 in .45-70, and the fit and finish are excellent. They're made in Ilion, NY, because the New Haven, CT plant is closed.

The .44 Magnum and .45 Colt versions are much easier to come by than .357 Magnum. Put your name on the waiting lists. Something should turn up in 6 months or less. Also keep your eye on the auction sites, and larger gun stores. I locked on to a .45 Colt Marlin Cowboy, 20", in an LGS a couple of months ago. I spotted it from across the room and never turned my eyes away until it was written up.

#4 ·
Marlin has plans for several new configurations & a broader range of calibers. If you can't find what you want, hang on & wait a bit.

The .357 Mag will be out by September, story on it in The Prisbrey Report, Volume 2014-1, Return Of The Marlin Model 1894C in .357 Magnum, if it's allowed to mention a Kindle eBook here.
Denis

#5 ·
We got a like new one in Thursday and sold it Friday. We are a center for CAS shooting and supplies. When we talked to Legacy people at the Vegas show last year, they were completely clueless on guns in general. Later we heard they were going to start making them again in April this year but it looks like a bit later now. There are three go to guns for competitive CAS shooters, the Marlin, the Uberti 66 and 73. No others need apply. The Henry is a POS. The 92 versions are too slow. Just these three and the Ubertis are WAY backordered. It will solve a lot of problems (and make Legacy a lot of money) if they make the 94 in quantity.

#9 ·
I don't think you have had the opportunity to shoot one of the M92s that Steve Young has done his magic on. They are really nice!

I live in Central Texas, and none of the retailers have been able to get their hands on the Marlins for quite some time now. Many of them have waiting list for the guns, but they can't seem to get them. I wish you luck in getting your hands on one. I understand they are wonderful rifles.

#10 · (Edited)
Winchester '92 is slow to operate?

I strongly disagree. That venerable design is extremely smooth and reliable as executed by the current Browning/FN licensee, Miroku of Japan. The Marlin design works well if operated properly, but is subject to some interesting jams if short stroked, or sometimes the wrong phase of the moon.

The Marlin action is assymetrical, in that the lifter is connected to the lever by a ratchet. Forward on the lever, the snail cam slips over the lifter, but engages it on the reverse stroke. The lifter serves as the secondary magazine stop. If the cam is worn or you short-stoke, you can find yourself in a situation where the lever is locked, you have a cartridge partway into the chamber and another cartridge under the lifter. Oh Joy!

The '92 ejects the spent cartridge and lifts the next cartridge on the forward stroke. The new cartridge is chambered on the reverse stroke. The next cartridge feed from the magazine when the bolt is fully closed. The receiver is wide open, and easily cleared if there is a stovepipe or misfeed. I've never had either happen. If you short stroke, you don't feed a cartridge, but there isn't a jam. The ejector is spring loaded, and flips the shell straight up as soon as it clears the chamber. Slow or fast with the lever, the extracted shell is GONE! The rim of the cartridge feeds through guides in the receiver, rather than behind the extractor (as in the Marlin).

Both the Marlin and Winchester are well suited to CAS events. When broken in and tuned properly, both are as smooth as butter. Which do I like better? Hard to say, so I have them all. I'm a lever-action junky.

There is nothing smoother than a '73 action (toggle-link, same as '66). The action is much weaker than the '92 or Marlin, but seems to be okay for .357 Magnum or traditional pistol cartridges like .45 Colt, .32-20 or .44-40. My LGS always seems to have a good stock on hand. I don't have one, yet.

#12 ·
Red,
I actually have two Rossis that Steve's worked over.
They are very nice.

I'm passing on general comments.
You see far fewer 92s at CAS events than the various toggle-link action "Winchesters", which are the raceguns of the sport.

I've also seen fewer 92s at such events than Marlins.
Denis

#13 ·
Miroku does make exceptionally well made guns. The actions are always smooth regardless of name. They make the best Winchesters made in years as was stated by DPris. They make Brownings, Winchesters, Vanguards, etc. All smooth. HOWEVER, their dealer costs on 94's and 70's are nearly $1000. We can sell used post -64 94's for about $350 and 70's for about the same. We can sell pre-64 94's for about $600-650 unless rare. We can sell pre-64 Mod 70's for $650-$800 unless very nice or rare-ish. I don't see much sales for them there.

As for 92's, we also do butter smooth action jobs, but 92's are still slower than 66's/73's, and Uberti does excellent work on them.

#15 ·
The "Remington" refers to the new Marlins, after Remington bought the company.

I'll repeat, at the risk of it appearing a shameless plug: you can see the story of the 1894C comeback (and commentary on the plant upgrades involving the leverguns as a group) if you're willing to spend the money for the Kindle eBook on it.
Or, you can try it for free under the Kindle Lending Library program.

Marlin has a mostly separate operation from Remington, only using one floor in the Remington plant & the rest of the major metal fabrication done in another building, with Marlin-only workers.

Peter,
The Vanguards are actually made by Howa. :)
Denis

#18 · (Edited)
#22 ·
2x1894 Marlin Cowboy

Bought 'em new in 07. 45lc SASS shooting. Both worked over by Cowboy Guru gunsmith.....1000s of rounds thru both . Gotta love 'em.. Just bought a 1873 Cimarron/Uberti 45lc.CARBINE 19" 10 rd'r S:eek:ent it out post hast for short stroke kit,deactivate safety,skeletorize the brass..new sights...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.