1911Forum banner

Versa Max vs. SX3?

7K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  Creepin 
#1 ·
Who has shot both? And how much better is the VM vs. the 1100/11-87? I own an 1100 and a 11-87 and have never had any issues. I've never shot any of the new Winchester semi's, but they've got to be better than the older ones. They look and feel better anyway.

#2 ·
All I can tell you for sure is that the Win SX3 is the same gun as the Browning Silver Semi Auto. Very reliable, etc. That said, semi-auto shotguns have really become very reliable over the last decade. You can't really go wrong with either. The absolute most important things with shotguns (over reliability) is proper fit. Which one feels better mounted? Are you lined up right? Are you seeing down the rib correctly, etc? That's the one you should buy.

#3 ·
The SX 3 is a handier, lighter version of the FN SLP. Really nice.

The Versa Max, to me, handles much like the SLP. Little heavy.

Unless you are doing something pretty heavy duty like 3 gun I would say the 1100 fits the ticket for most shooting. Light, handy, soft recoiling, reliable. Not as durable as the SX but unless you treat them pretty harshly you will likely not notice.

#6 ·
The original Versamax is a nicer gun than the SX3, but if you are comparing the versamax sportsman to the SX3 I would go with the SX3. I have shot all 3, and owned an original Versamax for awhile (sold for an A400). The SX3 is probably the nicest shooting shotgun in its price range. It handled nice, and pointed well for me. The Versamax sportsman is just a cheaper version of the Original, and it shows at times.

#7 ·
Can't speak to the VersaMax but the SX3 is amazing! With my old Mossberg 500 I would hit maybe half the clay targets that went up. I have had days with the SX3 where I didn't miss. It is really something when a gun makes you a better shooter.

#9 ·
I haven't shot either one, but my supervisor and manager at Gander Mountain both bought one of the Remington's. We get a discount with all sorts of manufacturers, so I thought it was saying something when they bought the VersaMax when they could of got a Winchester/Beretta/Benelli for essentially the same price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.