1911Forum banner

Sportsman 58 shotgun question

15K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Montana Griz 
#1 · (Edited)
I bought a couple of Remington Sportsman 58 shotguns about a year ago to add a couple of auto loaders to the mix. I wanted to keep it on the nostalgic side rather than buying the 'latest and greatest', plus they are pretty inexpensive :). I know that the old set up for the recoil system is not tunable in any way, only having a low brass and high brass setting on the for-end plug. They both cycle pretty reliably with the low brass dove loads that I plan to use this weekend but I was wondering if anyone has a recommendation of powder charge being the defining guide for selecting L or H settings. Some of my dove loads are standard charge and some heavy charge with 3 1/4 drams of powder and I am not sure if I should use the L setting for the heavy loads (they are all low brass regardless of powder charge).

I used one of them last year with some high brass #6 and had issues with feeding. It may not have been a setting issue (I had it on H), but rather a feed issue from the magazine and I will pursue that area to fix the problem with that particular gun.

Any input would be appreciated. These things are a blast for sure. I sold my only auto loader (model 1100 2 3/4 only) when Mossberg came out the 835 Ulti Mag out so I had more load options available and the auto loaders at that time were pricey to say the least (again, not too keen on the 'latest and greatest' and most expensive).

See less See more
#8 ·
Not many people shoot a 58 because of the finicky gas system. There is definitely a reason Remington upgraded to the 1100's. I know you say your not into the latest and greatest but the latest and greatest all seem to work with whatever you decide to feed them. Don't get me wrong I am not saying it needs to be the latest and greatest to be a great semi auto shotgun, my favorite shotgun by far all time is a Winchester Super X model 1, but I would seriously considering upgrading.

#4 ·
nowicanhitabarn, good suggestion. It makes sense to play it safe and use the H setting for all loads. If it doesn't cycle with a particular load just change it to L. Any of the blogs I read when I bought the guns trying to learn a little about then had a common theme re: possible damage to the gun if the setting was incorrect. I guess they had receiver cracking issues early on and the suggested cause was people using the L setting with hot high brass loads. I disassembled the gun last night (trigger group was not broken down) and cleaned/lubed it. I am also doing a light stock refinish to get rid of the damaged finish (varnish type?) and will finish it off with stock conditioner and gun stock wax after I put another coat of stain on it. I did that to the refinished gun (parkerized, makes a great finish for a field gun) last year and it came out great. After that it goes to the field Monday to pop some dove, old school!

Also, like your user name.

#5 ·
As you know, today the height of the base has nothing to do with power any more. Back when your 58 was made, the brass at the base of paper hulls told you a lot. But today powder selection, powder charge, wad height, and the weight of shot payload can be independent of the height of the steel or brass. Plastic hull design is much more complex these days.

For commercial shotshells, pay attention to the rating on the box and set the gun using best judgment. Like the man said, start on Heavy and go to Light only if the gun won't cycle.

#6 ·
I don't remember much about that one. The gun shop I worked at in the 70's & 80's had a repairman that wouldn't let us trade them in due to the difficulty is getting parts for them. If I remember correctly it had to do with the load setting mechanism.

He was undoubtedly the grouchiest SOB that walked the planet. WWII vet, came off the farm and taught himself how to repair rods, reels, Coleman products, pretty much anything that came through the door that needed fixing. He just had the type of mind that figured it out and then what it needed to make it work. Not a full fledged gunsmith (only because he didn't have the room for a lathe & milling machine), I sure miss him. Taught me a lot about how to figure things out.

RIP Henry H.
Al

#9 · (Edited)
TRIGGER CREEP, good point. The dove loads I have are 3 3/4 dram low brass so low brass/high brass on modern hulls would not be the way to determine setting. Looking through my stash of shotshells I will be using the H setting. It functions properly with the 2 3/4 dram shotshells I have as well.

Hughy, I prefer to buy older guns. I understand the progression of op systems. I am actually looking to add a model 48 or two to my collection, and yes, I realize it is just an old design long throw mechanical op system, modeled after an older Browning design. What's not to like about that?? :). The second shotgun in the gunbox Monday will be my oh so sweet Ithaca model 37 12 gauge...1957 ;)

#10 ·
I shoot a Sportsman 58 12ga quite a bit. Good gun for the day(older than me!)

I've found that most factory shells work fine on the 'high' setting. As mentioned above..probably a good idea to just keep the adjust knob on 'High' and turn it down as required for weaker shells. The only shells I've found that needed 'Low' have been really mild reloads and some 2 1/2" shells designed for shooting from old double barrels.

I try not to shoot any really heavy magnum loads from mine...it's a 26" improved cylinder gun anyhow...not really set-up for long-range waterfowl hunting(steel shot).

#12 ·
Yeah I totally appreciate older shotguns and understand your affinity for them. I wouldn't trade any of my Winchester Super X-1's for any of the latest and greatest. I like the old Winchester model 12's Ithaca 37's Browning superposed etc.... One of my grail guns is a pristine model 42 skeet grade but everyone is overly proud of them. I just prefer slightly more modern semi's that work a little more efficiently.

#13 ·
For what it's worth, the H and the L in my Remington Model 11 manual (predates the Sportsman 58)...

are not High Base and Low Base. But H = Heavy and L = Light loads.

I downloaded the manual free, did a Google search and found it. Also bought one on fleabay but the download for free was the same manual. Maybe your Sportsman 58 manual is available?

#14 ·
TRIGGER CREEP, I did find a free download after googling. Thanks! The gun worked great with everything except Estate brand shotshells. They are 3 1/4 drams with 1 oz of shot, would not eject unless on L which I don't think is a good idea. I have lots of that brand and can use them in the model 37 and NEF single shot I have. The Remington heavy dove have the same powder charge behind 1 1/8 oz of shot. Cycle every time.

#16 ·
I too have a Rem Mdl 58.........and still use it to this day.

I bought it new, late in 1956 from the Chicago Gun Center on West Armitage .

After using it on Pheasants, Quail, Rabbits and various water Fowl I decided to have an adjustable choke installed. The original choke was modified, and Paul (the owner of the gun shop) suggested a device called "Adjustomatic" rather than a Poly Choke. It has (9) settings and the design incorporates a collett type ring that slides over (IIRC) 6 or 8 "fingers" that constrict the internal diameter as you change the setting from CYL to FULL. Now here is the interesting part.................This outer portion (outer Sleeve) is Spring Loaded and also has about 12 "slots" on the very end so that the expanding gasses "drive it forward" to the next "tighter setting" upon firing: ... example..lets say you set it on MOD, when the 1st shot is fired it throws a "MOD" pattern, and then slides forward about 3/16" and automatically constricts the fingers to the next "tighter setting" (in this case IMP MOD).

To re-set it back, you push a button on the outside of this outer sleeve and (in this case it would go back to MOD.)

Yes, it does work quite well. From 1956 until about 1965 I used this gun extensively Skeet shooting (probably about 3000 rounds); Trap Shooting (probably about 2000 rounds) and collectively shot another 1000 rounds in those 10 years for waterfowl, pheasant, quail & rabbits. It was about 1965 that I starting shooting O&U and SxS shotguns quite a bit and the Rem 58 kinda slipped into "3rd-place" as far as useage is concerned. It's the gun that sits behind the Utility Room Door that I can grab on a seconds notice to sneak out onto the deck and "nail" one of those "Flicker Woodpeckers" that peck those damaging holes in the Cedar Siding on my house.

Yea, I live in a very rural area so that I can shoot right off my deck. Being in my 83rd year I still do a fair amount of Shotgun Sports. Ketch ya later............

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.