1911Forum banner

Help Me Shape the Forearm on My Rifle Stock

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Neumann 
#1 ·
I'm finally working on my Richard's Semi inlet stock. I've finished inleting and shaping the stock. I still need to bed the action, sand, sand, adjust LOP, install a recoil pad, and finish

I'm now ready to shape the forearm tip and would like some feed back. You'll need to use your imagination but tell me which one you prefer. Or alternate suggestions are welcome.
Wood

Origami Art

Wood

Wood Hardwood

See less See more
#3 ·
It's straight and square now. It looks unfinished to me I'm leaning toward matching the angle then rounding everything over.

I've had this stock under my bed for almost a year. Now that I've finally gotten started I want to get it done. I'm up to 150 grit paper. I'll finish the tip tomorrow or Monday. I want to bed the action before I apply the finish. And I also need to remove about an inch for a recoil pad.

I'll sand to 320 then checker the grip and forearm. Then 'sand in' a mix of tru-oil and mineral spirits with 400 then 600.

The stock was very rough, I didn't have any 80grit to start with after I got done with files and rasps, so I used a lot of 100grit. It's starting to look pretty good. It's looking very red when I put some mineral spirits on it. I hope it will tone down as I smooth out the surface more.

#6 ·
Update

Well, I decided to match the angle and round all the corners. Next it bedding the action

Wood Hardwood Wood stain Chisel woodworking

Wood Antique tool

Wood Hardwood Wood stain

Brush hook Axe Wood

#7 ·
Now that you're at the 320 grit stage, dampen the surface lightly with water and let it dry overnight. That will raise the grain so it can be sanded smooth. Do this until the grain is "dead," and not raise with changes in humidity later on. Two or three times should be enough. Apply a seal coat of finish at this point, to protect the stock from moisture and dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.