1911Forum banner

Training/Practice routines??

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Ipacka1911 
#1 ·
As an LEO, we obviously need to be at the top of our game when it comes to working with firearms and weapon manipulations. Competition shooting provides a good environment to sharpen skills. However, it's not perfect. There are significant differences between the equipment available to competition shooters and what your typical patrol officers carry. Duty holsters and mag pouches most notably.

So, what training/practice regimen do you as patrol officers/agents practice? Do you have a daily practice session? Obviously snap caps/ dry fire practice. Do you use a shot timer??

Just looking for something from the LEO side of things that has helped you go from an average shooter to consistent expert level shooter.

#2 · (Edited)
As well as my own department, I am contracted to teach and train several other LEO departments. I train recruits right out of the academy, as well as advanced training/tactics and supervising quarterly and yearly qualifications.

In my experiences, many LEO are simply not gun people. They carry one as a tool of the job, and have adequate-only proficiency. Many only shoot because they have to, not want to. The ones that excel, are the ones that book time at the range at the end of shift, and schedule time to shoot with each other during off-shift times.

I mandate a weekly practice session with my team - it is not optional. I don't use, and don't believe in a timer for LEO purposes. I am more concerned with seeing measurable and repeatable increases in accuracy rather than speed, over a period of time. Speed comes with practice and I don't believe there's a lot of merit in using a timer from a LEO-training perspective. I am more inclined to measure group sizes rather than split times, as a scorecard of proficiency and improvement.

In addition to shooting, much of my training involves tactical reloads, malf clearance drills, and low-light tactics. But when it comes to strictly shooting, cops like "fun" shooting, just as much as anyone. I'll set up courses of fire that have bowling pins, poppers, balloons and other reactive targets. I find that there is more motivation to shoot at a reactive target, rather than the "standard" silhouette variety. Attention levels tend to remain higher, and practice sessions tend to last longer and be more result-oriented when the activity is interesting.

Also, I set up different stations that require a different stance at each one. Kneeling, sitting, prone, strong and weak side barricades, etc.

I have also made myself available by appointment for one-on-one shooting and instruction. You'd be surprised how many officers are reluctant to go to the range with a bunch of their squad, but gladly shoot if there is no pressure and anxiety of "watching" eyes from their associates. I find that female officers in particular are more inclined to shoot more, if there isn't a bunch of macho testosterone around to compete with.

I also end most range sessions with a best-target-of-the-night award. This is strictly a "best group wins" test on a standard bullseye target. At 10 meters, everyone must shoot 4 rounds, perform a tactical reload, fire 4 more rounds, tac-reload the previous mag, and then empty that mag to slide lock. Then load the second half-empty mag once more and shoot that to slide lock. No shot timers, and accuracy is all that matters. The best center-to-center group of two full mags wins a gift certificate (Home Depot, etc.), or a dinner-for-two voucher, or seasonal gifts.

Make it fun, make it interesting, and LEOs will want to practice. And that's really what it's all about. With practice comes proper weapons manipulation, muscle memory, and speed. But always accuracy first. YMMV.

#3 ·
I come from a department that has around 45 sworn officers including "brass". When I first got to my department I had 4 years experience and had always been a " gun geek". I did see difficentcies in my department for training with the firearm. We are able to take per contract 50 rounds a month for each officer. Believe it or not only about 5 officers took their round and shot (heavy sarcasm because I know this is wide spread). I convinced are newly appointed chief (who is a cops cop as a chief) that more needed to be done.

He had firearms instructors write practice courses that could be done while on duty with a firearms instructor to do. One month slow fire for accuracy and weapons manipulation. The next fast foreign and always shooting on the move. The target size, shape and distance vary but all officers seem to enjoy it.

We have also implemented color drills where multiple target are at a distance and the instructor call out a color for officers to engage.

With new structure, drills and a better weapons policy we saw almost 90 percent of officers showing up to shoot their rounds every month. Weapons accuracy went from few shooter shooting 90% or above to over half the department doing it.

Fun shooting and instructors willing to teach with a "back office" that allows it to happen can make a world of difference in my opinion.

#4 ·
Many many years ago when I was doing POST academy training, I told the instructors their training was a lot of crap. Of course they took umbrage. I challenged them to let me do a simple example to prove my point. With my already established shooting credentials, they reluctantly let me do my surprise. As the class stood ready on the line for the curriculum event, I stood behind the line about 20 feet. when the commands were given, and the class was ready to draw and fire, just as the "Fire" command or whistle or whatever it was given, I fired a shot into the ground behind the line. Total confusion with all involved and I was given a lot of heat for the disaster that ensued. Not one single shot was fired at the designated target by anyone in the class. I had proved my point. The training was eventually changed to include surprise elements that required not only shooting skills, but being able to analyze the situation. All too often the standard training will get you killed. In fact, I wrote an article for SWAT magazine in the early 80's that was titled, "Will Your Training Kill You?" Gabe Suarez in Arizona has classes that are honest to god reality based training. Worth checking out.
Semper Fi

#5 ·
As the class stood ready on the line for the curriculum event, I stood behind the line about 20 feet. when the commands were given, and the class was ready to draw and fire, just as the "Fire" command or whistle or whatever it was given, I fired a shot into the ground behind the line.
Completely uncalled for and dangerous. You shot a round off INTENTIONALLY in the safe zone? I would have terminated your employment ON THE SPOT. For God's sake, use an air horn or any other noise-maker if you felt the need, but what you did was ridiculous in order to prove some point - which I'm still not sure what it was.

Gabe Suarez in Arizona has classes that are honest to god reality based training. Worth checking out.
What also is "worth checking out" is Gabe's credentials and history. :rolleyes:

#6 ·
If the sound of an unexpected gunshot is terrifying to you, what is going to happen if a thug fires one at you? I've been there and done that and have the bullet holes and scars as reminders. It isn't a game SIR.
Why do some military training programs have troops crawling under live fire? Could it be that they may be exposed to same in combat? Is that unsafe? Of course it is and expressly why they are exposed to it under controlled circumstances. A controlled shot fired into the ground is a whole lot more safe than one fired by accident by some nervous student.
In my training unit of special ops, it was not uncommon for a team member to hold the target while his partner fired the shot/s. I guess that would be a career ending event in your opinion. In our unit, it was a measure of confidence and trust in our partners and team mates.
Semper Fi - Sir

#11 ·
When I was in the Marines, if you stand up and were ten feet tall you take one in the brain housing group. 100% safe.

Now in 1977 or so a Navy SEAL took a round center mass in training in VA. Now that is dumb and how macho is being six feet deep. That shows history repeats itself. Special Ops wants to prove "special"? How about just being a professional and leave silly at your mother's house, JMHO

#8 ·
But, SIR, that is the point. People do get hurt with flawed training. I'm not interested in a flaming war here. Just a huge difference in our approaches to training. I doubt you and I will ever come to terms and that is fine. As regards Gabe and his methods, I'd much rather learn with a tough instructor who will put you on the ground in pain if you screw up than someone who walks around the range with a whistle and declares himself a safe range officer.
When you get shot it hurts. And it also makes you much more aware of what works and what doesn't. Methods and ideas have changed a lot over the years but it seems there are still those who feel realistic training is just too brutal or fear legal ramifications.
If I am too blunt, so be it. My methods work and so do those like me.
Semper Fi

#12 ·
I have been on both sides of this coin and there truly is no sweet spot. I have been right there when a soldier in my unit was shot in the shoulder and thought why in the hell are we doing this. I have also been in combat and was very happy to have had the training. When the lead starts to fly, muscle memory takes over and we fight as we train. I can tell you I was not a believer in that philosophy until I lived it. I still think you can achieve the same outcome without getting shot at but every person reacts differently when lead starts flying down range. Which is why we trained the way we did. If your flight kicked in instead of your fight, you were axed out of the unit. Again, there is no sweet spot where every person is going to agree or disagree on this subject. I can tell you at my department I would get fired immediately for discharging a round behind the line.

#13 ·
Bottom line is every agency and every individual will have different approaches to training.

Some states have mandated minimum training standards, such as so many hours per year, that sort of thing. Others have NO follow up training, latterly once you leave the academy you’re on your own.

The important things to remember are try to make your own, either personal or team, training program as relative and realistic as physically and financially possible. It would be great to have unlimited training budgets to hiring actors to play bad guys and run around with simunations, the reality is I’ve set up scenario based ranges using big blue tarps blocking the range entrance to hide the scenario until the last minute.

Be creative, be realistic, be SAFE, but more importantly go out and do it as often as possible.

#14 ·
One of the biggest things that has helped me get better over the years is to change my shooting course of fire. i spend time with fundamentals for approx. 30 minutes each time. that is slow fire and dry fire. i shoot a close course that varies from 25 yards to 3 yards, a medium course that goes from 15 yards to 50 yards and a long course that goes to 100 yards. i shoot static and moving. i try to shoot the things that i don't like as in weird positions and long rang. when i shoot long range, i like to finish at 25 yards and in i find 25 yard shots can be as easy as 10 yard shot. i do use shot timers to try to improve my draw to first shot and i find it is a good gauge. i am in no way shape or form a match quality shooter but i like to be a good all around shooter with consistency.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.