1911Forum banner

My testimony to dry firing

858 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  wc145 
#1 ·
I just got back from deployment. I went to the range twice during that time and might have shot 150 rounds of 9mm (Glock 19) during that time. I have not touched a 1911 during that entire time.

As such, I was relegated to only being able to dry fire, and I did so frequently whenever I was on guard duty (with my chambered M4 right next to me of course). That’s all I did for 9 months. I was curious what the impact might be, and I’m now convinced without question (like everyone says) it is invaluable training.

I’m not going to say it improved my skill. What I am saying is below is a picture I was proud of just before I left. Then I was limited to only dry firing a Glock for 9 months. Shot very little, and then when I came back I picked up my 1911 and 22 conversion and the blow targets are the first 10 rounds (each) out of those pistols without having fired them since December.

I haven’t lost a beat. WOW. I’m convinced. But usually, my first shots are sloppy and I need to warm up before I’m not throwing shots off the target. These are the first ones out of the pipe, and at 25 yards via one hand.

Before I left

9 months later
First 10 rounds 230g FMJ

First 10 rounds .22 cheap ammo

See less See more
#3 ·
Being so board during most the time, I focused on every aspect about my dry firing.

When I really truly didn’t have a target down range I truly focused on the front sight.

I could start to tell when it was a good trigger pull or not. I could start to tell other grips and palm/finger positions were giving me better hammer releases. I could start to tell when a twitch happened during a hammer fall.

Most of all I could tell that focusing too much on where the sights were aligned on the target resulted in a possible twitch at the hammer fall and that twitch had a more adverse sight alignment impact than simply focusing on the front sight and letting the pistol sway, and letting the randomness of my sway just be whatever it will be.

I spent all that time with a Glock (so none of my grip focus and practice counts for anything), and then picked up a 1911 nine months later not have losing a beat.

I am giddy with the prospect of my potential future improvement now I can put my 1911’s in my hands.

#5 ·
Dry practice has had a big impact on my draw time, presentation, and ability to get my first shot on target quickly and accurately. I also do lots of work on mag changes and reholstering so that I'm not having to take my eyes off of my target while performing them.

OP- If you don't mind me asking, who are you deploying with and where that you're carrying (issued?) a Glock 19?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.