1911Forum banner

My first catastrophic round failure

5K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  The War Wagon 
#1 ·
I wanted to pass along some information on an incident that happened to me today at the range. I was shooting a stock Wilson Combat Protector chambered in .45. I have owned this pistol for about 5 months and have put 1,200 rounds downrange. Since I end up at the range 2-3 times a week I usually purchase reloaded ammo from LAX Ammo, Freedom Munitions, etc. As an FYI I have shot well over 6K rounds of 9mm and several thousand rounds of reloaded ammo from LAX Ammo without a single failure.

Today I was shooting 230 grain FMJ from LAX. I had shot about 30-40 rounds when the incident happened. I pulled the trigger and what followed was a loud bang, puff of smoke and my hand wringing. I looked down and saw the empty casing half in and half of the magazine. My hands were streaked with black smoke. I was able to rack the slide, eject the empty casing and drop the magazine. I inspected the pistol for any obvious damage and checked to make sure the barrel was empty. I replaced the magazine and finished shooting my 50 rounds for the day.

When I examined the Wilson Combat magazine I noticed that the follower was stuck down in the magazine about an inch from the bottom. I pulled off the bottom cap and the spring (badly distorted and bent) and what was left of the follower fell out. The follower had snapped in half and the spring was hopelessly bent. The magazine frame itself was unharmed.

I am attaching pictures of everything to show what it looked like after the incident. I showed the casing to a range employee who has been reloading for 40 years. He examined the casing like a forensic analyst and decided the issue was weak brass. He gave reasons why it wasn't a case of too much powder.

Am I blaming LAX Ammo? No. Am I blaming Wilson Combat? No, of course not. I'm not blaming anyone or anything. My buddy told me that this could happen to new or reloaded ammo due to the inherent nature of brass casings. He also said it was the design of the 1911 to vent gases and pressure down the magwell and out the bottom of the gun. I said a silent thank you to JMB and a thank you prayer to God that all my fingers were still attached.

The lessons learned from this incident? Always have one proper ear and eye protection. Make sure you have a good grip on any weapon when firing it. Remember that firing a weapon of any kind is a serious thing and never take your mind of the proper techniques.

Be safe.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
The pictures of the brass aren't good enough that we can use them to say much about what happened. That said, even the very blurry last photo suggests that there might not be excess pressure signs in the primer, but we would have to have much better pictures to say anything beyond that.

It might be bad brass. It happens. It could be due to a structural defect of the brass, or maybe it was "damaged" prior to being reloaded. Hard to say.

#24 ·
We say it again and again. Don't shoot other peoples reloads.
You got lucky.
I reload and would never use reloaded ammo from anyone or any company even it it was for free. You got lucky.
Agree almost. I do have a couple of friends whose reloads I would use, but they have been loading for 50 yeas or so, and I know what equipment they have and their diligence for safety.
ALL this! The only reloads I've EVER shot, I helped a good friend re-load (I was at his side the WHOLE time), when he was teaching ME how to re-load, some 15 years ago. Tell your local range marketing guru :rolleyes: to take a flying leap at a rolling donut; I'd shoot that detestable 'green (frangible)' crap, before I'd shoot any more of THEIR reloads! :mad:

#8 ·
Agree almost. I do have a couple of friends whose reloads I would use, but they have been loading for 50 yeas or so, and I know what equipment they have and their diligence for safety.

Jerry

#9 ·
I've had multiple brass failures in .308win, .40s&w,.380 and .45acp. I did the reloading, and the shooting. .40s&w is the worst, multiple times the rim broke off with the rest of the case still in the barrel(fully supported). it happens, I just check my brass for cracks as best I can, and eye protection.i also load everything on the hot side,so.....

daren

#11 ·
The problem (or possible problem) with commercial reloads is the brass.

i don't believe they can determine with a high degree of certainty if the used brass they're buying is over worked or not

That's the reason for my strong reluctance to ever use re-man ammo

..L.T.A.

#12 ·
Right on!!!
when buying reloads you never know how many times those brass have been reloaded. To me that is the biggest concern.

Also, I do not shoot friends reloads nor do I sell, give away or loan my reloads.

This method has served me well for over sixty years of shooting. Jim

#18 ·
When I first started "rolling my own" i had a few squibs, but never a double charge. And I have never had failed cartridge or double charge either, but I have some friends who have had blow-outs from double charges in 1911 guns and in every case the blast went down the magazine, and did not damage their pistol. It seems a 1911 in-lock at ignition is pretty sturdy, and vents down and out thru the mag.

I have no opinion on what happened in the OP's incident.

all the best...

#20 ·
There is a reason why I count how many times I've fired a piece of brass and go to the trouble of sorting and logging it. The only warm load is in the original piece, thereafter it's mild to moderate plinker's only. After 6 or so loads (depending upon caliber) it's bagged for the recyclers.

I used to purchase "once loaded" ammo, not any more.

It's possible it was an overcharge, difficult to determine just off the primer.

#21 · (Edited)
Who manufactured the brass? I can't make out the headstamp. I have been loading .45 ACP ammo for 30 years using Federal and Winchester match cases dated from the 1960s. I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded but I have never seen a .45 case fail like that unless it was over charged. 10mm and .38 Super - lots. .45 ACP operates at a low pressure unless it was seriously overcharged. I won't shoot any ammo I did not reload myself. I have just seen too many people get in a hurry (usually with a progressive press) and bulge or blow guns.

#22 · (Edited)
Who manufactured the brass? I can't make out the headstamp. I have been loading .45 ACP ammo for 30 years using Federal and Winchester match cases dated from the 1960s. I have no idea how many times they have been reloaded but I have never seen a .45 case fail like that unless it was over charged and/or unsupported. In 10mm and .38 Super I have seen many failures (all because of poorly throated barrels or over loaded ammo. .45 ACP operates at a low pressure unless it was seriously overcharged. I disagree with your friend's assertion that this "just happens" with reloaded ammo. Not in .45 ACP and not in a Wilson barrel. I would be talking to LAX.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.