1911Forum banner

Taking a Combat Pistol Training Class This Weekend - With my 2 EBs

3K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  CDB842 
#1 ·
I am taking a local training class this weekend. It is the "Level III" class that will have us focus more on self-defense scenarios such as carjacking, home invasions, etc. Going to be shooting 500-600 rounds.

And I will be taking my two Ed Browns with me. Oh wait, I haven't told you all about my second EB acquisition. As you know, about a month ago, I purchased an EB SF Government model.

Two weeks ago, I found a used EB Kobra Carry in all SS at a LGS. So I traded my Sig P220 SSE plus cash in a trade. And I got a holster and some more WC mags. So far, no issues.

My apologies for not posting pics yet, but work has been a real bear lately (been working on weekends plus 10+ hours days in the week).

I will post the pics of the Kobra in a day or two.

Wish me luck!

#3 ·
Oh, boy. Am I tired - and sore. My 50+ y/o body is definitely NOT what it used to be 30 years ago. LOL! I am very glad the boss let me take the day off.

I learned last night that I still have a LOT to learn about personal defense with a pistol.

We did no videos, no classroom instruction, just 6 hours of range time. There were only four of us in the class. Two of us were using 1911s, one guy had a nice revolver and another guy had a Beretta Nano in .40 cal, I believe (he had a bunch of issues with the Nano).

We practiced the draw; we shot on the move; we practiced the draw and shooting on the move (facing each of the four cardinal directions in four different drills); we shot from behind barricades; we drew and shot multiple targets (both with and without barricades); we shot with our flashlights (no rail lights); we shot one-handed and with the weak hand. And we had some carjacking scenarios (the only time we got to sit down). Oh, and were introduced to "El Presidente."

Lots if information overload.

However, my EBs functioned flawlessly. I DID have to perform a remedial action in one of the barricade drills (multiple targets). That one was truly my fault as I did not seat the mag properly. The good news on that one? When I noted that I pulled the trigger and it went "click" I instinctively ducked behind the barricade to fix the problem and got back into the fight. Oh, and after each drill, we had to scan our sectors, then bring the weapon back top the "high ready" position, look both ways backward, then re-holster.

It honestly felt like I was back in basic training as both instructors were "operators" in Army and AF clandestine outfits.

One thing to note: DO NOT bring a nice leather holster to a training class! I don't know how much of the interior of my holsters I rubbed off last night, but I left plenty on the range floor.

I DID encounter an issue with my KC. The little pin that anchors the front sight suddenly popped up just before the final drill (I started with the full size SF for about half the ammo). This is the second time this has occurred. I had a smith supposedly "fix" this problem since I am not comfortable tinkering with my pistols as yet.

At any rate, it was a very informative and enjoyable class.

And no failures with the EBs!

#10 ·
Sounds like a blast. I am a Gunsite graduate and have to say I can't imagine anything better than five days at Gunsite. Going back for 350 Defensive Pistol in October. As to the turn pin in the front sight, I have had the same issue in a Government Special Forces. I asked about it on this forum and was told that it happens on every Ed Brown. Their one flaw. Just put a bit of blue locktite, make sure it's blue, on the site and tap it back in with a brass mallet. It will eventually come back out but it will take a while. Small price to pay for the best.

#13 ·
Same thing happened to me. After about 500 rounds the sight pin walked out. I took it out, opened it up a little bit, applied some loc-tite and tapped it back in. 400 rounds later....it hasnt budged.

I would love to take a training course of some kind! That sounds like a lot of fun. The guys at my LGS talk of a class like this but they never come up with a date and time!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.