1911Forum banner

Let's see those groupings! How do you shoot?

336K views 753 replies 384 participants last post by  1977loadstar 
#1 ·
The weather is getting nicer on the east coast which means more time at the range. I thought it would be fun to have members post photos of their targets/groupings to see how different members of the forum shoot. I know we have all levels of experience here from competition shooters to LEO to Shooters just for fun. I was always told that if you want to get better you have to see what your up against and push yourself to the level of those better than you so this will be a learning opportunity for me and other I'm sure.
Here's the criteria: post your target photos, post a description and/or photo of the gun used, the yardage in which the shots were taken, speed (if in comp), and your experience, ie law enforcement, comp shooter, just for fun shooter etc., and anything else you find relevant to describe your day at the range.
If this has been done before I'm sorry... Couldn't find anything like it in a search. I'll start.

LEO, about 9 years shooting experience, about three months 1911 experience, Ultra raptor II owner, is my new off duty carry weapon replacing a H&K P2000 and a smith J Frame .38.

my new baby
fresh outta the box first time pulling the trigger
first time qualifying, second time firing the weapon. 60 round course from 1yard-25yards multiple position firing.
same qualification, night fire course, 40 round course from 20 yards to 1 yard multiple position firing. Both qual's were timed.

My new raptor shoots fantastic. Couple of rounds got away, as you can see, during weak hand one hand shooting. Gotta get used to the gun a little more and I'll real them back in to a nice tight group.

Scott

See less See more
#4 ·
7yrds. 53-58 ish temp. Slow fire. Qualified with the 1911 in the USMC in the mid 70s and early 80s. Had kids and got away from shooting for many years. No competition shooting. Family and personal Defensive gun owner. Love my Colts. This is a 09 Dan Wesson Heritage. 230 gr Magtech ball ammo. FP 10 lube.
Dave :)

#6 · (Edited)

Osama Day at the Range awhile back.

SD/HD shooter..........1911's with .22 coversions or Ruger MK III's. Now mostly shooting 1911's chambered in 9mm (right arm/elbow problems). Had shot a lot of 1911 in .45 ACP. All ammo would be factory either .45 caliber 230gr FMJ or 9mm 115gr FMJ.

Indoor range. Decent temp. Usual SD distances of 3-5-7-10-12 and a few at 15 yards out with a slower pace of shooting. Firing was done using a modified weaver stance. Draw (or bring gun up from a low ready), sight quickly and fire. Then fire again as soon as sights are back on target (or sensed them back on target). Usually three round groups. Not super fast. Just controlled fire at a good solid pace.

This would be typical of my guns and shooting currently as well.

Be safe, shoot well. :rock:

#7 · (Edited)
This is one of my better groupings from one of my recent practices. I'm still fiddling with the zero on my gun. About a 2" group.

25 yards, 2 shot-strings (~5 seconds each string), one handed.

Gunsmith accurized Kimber Custom II Target with iron sights. Reloads: 200gn LSWC with 4.0gn WST.

#8 ·
Went to the range this morning to get some more practice in with my 1911. The exercise I gave to myself is from the USMC Pistol Team Workbook. Exercise is to get 20 shots consecutive in the black of a NRA Sustained Fire target (bullseye = 5.5") at 25 yards, one handed, no time limit.

I actually came within two shots of passing the next exercise, which is to get 20 consecutive shots in the 10-ring. Oh well, I'm still happy I passed the 9-ring exercise.

#13 ·
At the range this past Sunday with the G/F.

500 rounds total of Federal 180 grain FMJ. As well as 200 rounds of WWB 380. FMJ.

Distances were a mix between 10/15/25yrds.

In the photo I'd like to say it was @ 25yrds. but I'm pretty sure this target was @ 15yrds. w/ The Springfield Armory EMP 40S&W.

#14 ·

Kimber Custom Classic I, six hundred rounds of 230 grain ball, fired at a fairly rapid pace (a shot per second or so) standing Weaver at 15 yards. No malfunctions. If you look close, you can see a black dot at the top left of each of the groups--those are dots I made with a magic marker to shoot at. I wasn't shooting for "tightest groups," but rather shooting at a brisk pace and ironing out a consistent grip with my thumbs forward. The hole in the right corner was from the target tearing loose from the tumbtack, not a flyer.

I'm shooting low and to the right, but I'm still fairly certain it's me, not the gun. Been shooting Glocks almost exclusively for the last few years, so I think I'm pulling the trigger as if I were shooting a Glock instead of a 1911.

Best,

Heekma

#15 · (Edited)
I love Berry's Plated 200g SWC's!!!

At my PD Range:

All rounds are Berry's plated SWC's, 5.3g of WIN231, CCI 300 primer and assorted brass loaded at 1.225 OAL. Press used was a Lee Classic Turret with the lightly applied crimp with the Lee Factory Crimp Die (love that thing). This was my very first batch of SWC reloads and was shooting for accuracy: one shot every 3-5ish seconds

First photo is 5 rounds @ 15 yards

Second is 7 rounds @ 15 yards

Third is one shot each at 5, 7, 10, 15, and 20 while trying to aim for that little black outlined box.

Weapon is my workhorse 5" Springer Loaded with an EGW custom cut BBL bushing (George, you and your machinists rock :rock: ) and a 10-8 Performance .140" wide U-notch with rear sight.

Good times

Cameron

Attachments

#18 ·
Nice shooting everyone!

Very nice shooting! I love seeing "grouping" threads, I mean pics of guns are great and all, but if you can't hit what you're looking at, it doesn't do much good! :biglaugh:

Here are a few older pics from the first day I took out my NHC T3 back in May of '10. I was at the 7 yd line, standing two handed unsupported, shots weren't real fast but I didn't take longer than was needed to pick up a solid front sight on target. The first pic was after the first 7 rnds, then shot a second 7 rnd mag at the same target. :rock:

And the little beast that did it....

Reactions: Michael W Cuber
#29 ·
Life-long shooter, some silhouette shooting and bullseye competition years ago, combat shooting more recently. I shot this target a year or so ago and don't recall all the details. It was shot offhand (2 hands) isosceles indoors at 10 yds with my Kimber SS Ultra Carry. I think that it was 21 rounds of either WWB or Wolf, can't recall which.

I shoot this baby better than my full size at combat distances. It has about 5,000 rounds through it. Carried it daily for over a decade. Feels like an extension of my body.

Shoot safe!

#30 · (Edited)
my last visit to the range...

Took some time to go to the range today to shoot some of my yet to have been shot handguns.

The gun list included the following: Iver Johnson 5 shot .32 S&W Short revolver, NAA WASP .22 Magnum, Inglis High Power, Belgum made Israeli Police trade-in High Power, made in 1952, Styer Hahn Model 1912 made in 1916, S&W Model 59, S&W Model 469, and a second range visit with my recently overhauled Colt Combat Commander.

I shot 10 rds with the Iver Johnson, 15 rds with the Wasp, 16 rounds through the Styer Hahn, two magazines through each High Power, two magazines through each S&W auto, and 30 rds through the Combat Commander.

A good range trip; several nice surprises; I was a bit disappointed with the WASP but then I was shooting at 10 yards. Most impressive was the 469 which is a chopped and bobbed S&W Model 59; it ate the middle of the target. All the guns were shot at 10 yds with the exception of the Combat Commander; I shot the CBP qual course of 30 rounds fired from 3-1/2, 7, and 15 yards.

Here are the targets:

#32 ·
deathcape: good to see another bullseye shooter! My .45 scores are absolutely pathetic right now but I've only been shooting the big gun since July. But I did manage the following (my second 'clean' target) with the .22 last week, been shooting pistols since April: