1911Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Full length vs. 2 piece guide rods

27K views 30 replies 19 participants last post by  cfwii1979 
#1 ·
I feel kind of silly asking this but what are the real differences between Full length and 2 piece guide rods?

Are there situations where one is better than the other?

What are the reasons for the two different types?

Just trying to learn.

#2 ·
I really don't know what precipitated the two piece. I lock together and shorten them to the one piece length. Then no need to take apart. I would only buy the one piece design.

LOG

Reactions: philk
#5 · (Edited)
I've never understood why a two piece could be easier. For the one piece you push in the plug and turn the bushing. For the two piece you take out the end half and then do the same as the one piece, push in the plug and turn the bushing. I like the one piece and drill them so they can be captured and taken out the back. Now with the pictures again. :biglaugh:

LOG

#6 ·
So that's the difference? They do the exact same thing?

I was just wondering because I don't think the 1 piece is all that difficult, so just wanted to know why some manufactures include two piece rather than a one piece.

It seems trivial to me, ease of breaking down is the sole reason.

#8 ·
A one piece in my experience requires a bushing wrench to remove the recoil guide. The same is required when re-installing. With a 2-piece just unscrew the guide and remove the spring/guide as you would with a standard GI guide/plug.

-1911Collector

#11 · (Edited)
I believe the 1-pc people are referring to here is also a (near) full length. The GI is a stubby, leaving part of the recoil spring unsupported from the inside. When thinking of the standard disassembly by depressing the plug and spinning the bushing.. The two piece, full length guide rod is too long to allow the bushing to spin without removing the front part. The one piece is shorter by the thickness of the bushing (or so), so you can depress the plug and spin the bushing. This of course doesn't encompass all types.. Ron

Disclaimer.. I just noticed this thread was in the GS section. I know a good GS, but that's about as close as I can claim.. (i.e. little knowledge on my part and I don't even stay at motels.. LOL)

#10 ·
The G.I. plug was the original design. Its greatest attribute is that it works and works well and that it requires no additional tools for disassembly. The one piece and two piece full length guide rods are supposed to provide better accuracy, improved reliability, reduce recoil and prevent binding/wear of the recoil spring. I have never seen any evidence that would prove any of these claims. In short it appears to be a perfect solution to a problem that just doesnt exist. I would suggest sticking with the G.I. plug it has worked without fail for 100 years.

#14 ·
Ok, so for a straight up 1911 with the usual endowments, a Full length GI guide rod is what we know works time and time again and it makes no sense to switch.

The other guide rods were really built just to have a product to sale, They do not add any accuracy, they don't really make take down any easier, and they don't add any reliability.

#15 ·
A Full length GI rod, does not exist.
There are one piece FLGR, two piece FLGR, and the GI rod and plug. They all work fine. A FLGR of either type does continuously support the spring and can smooth cycling. They also add weight at the muzzle end. Use or not is up to the user. Due to the head registering in the frame abutment and the rod in the slide they can help cycle alignment.

LOG

#17 ·
I don't understand what it hard about removing a FLGR. It just comes out. I've never struggled with it for a second.

#18 ·
I've found the two piece guide rods are time savers. They begin to self disassemble even before you touch them.

I shot with one that came with one of my Springers one time before I changed it. In that case, I was able to field strip it without using the allen wrench for the guide rod.......

#23 ·
You can remove a bushing without a bushing wrench whether you have a GI or a 1 piece full length guide rod. The need of a tool is contigent on the fit of the bushing in the slide. For those that don't know, the base of a GI type magazine may be used a bushing wrench if one needs to on a more "loosely" fit bushing.

I do have two pistols that cycle noticably smoother with FLGR. Sheesh, the "absolute" issues about a pistol.

Reactions: log man
#24 ·
The only possible word giving weight to a full length over the GI TO ME is that a full length guide rod gives more support to the barrel throughout firing as a GI does not. I would say ... well a sloppy 1911 maybe yes.. .but if thats true then even a non sloppy should TECHNICALLY get SOME benefit, no? Full length for me.

#26 ·
The only possible word giving weight to a full length over the GI TO ME is that a full length guide rod gives more support to the barrel throughout firing as a GI does not.”

FLGR doesn’t support the barrel. Necro thread…

#28 ·
I get caught on the nevro thing occasionally when the list the threads at the bottom of the webpage. I saw a couple posts on this one and took bait…lol.

#30 ·
A one piece guide rod is a full length guide rod and is fuctionally one piece. The plate end may be pressed on or machined as part of the rod. From the installation and service end it never cones apart.

This rod needs to be fitted for length so the bushing can be rotated for assembly/disassembly. Some FLGR’s have a hole drilled perpendicularly through the rod somewherre around center for using a clip to capture the spring for disassembly.

#31 ·
A one piece guide rod is a full length guide rod and is fuctionally one piece. The plate end may be pressed on or machined as part of the rod. From the installation and service end it never cones apart.

This rod needs to be fitted for length so the bushing can be rotated for assembly/disassembly. Some FLGR’s have a hole drilled perpendicularly through the rod somewherre around center for using a clip to capture the spring for disassembly.
Oh geez now see I hadn't even considered it as a gunsmith part which it def is now that I'm thinking clearly. All parts should be really... to an extent. But you get me, thanks for that! Useful thread after all lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.