1911Forum banner

Appendix carry with a beer gut?

18K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Johnny handgun 
#1 ·
I'm needing a holster for a new ccw, G30.

I've used a MS SS for a 4" 1911 and it worked okay behind hip.

Tempted to try something different with this smaller G30?

Also, could a kydex designed for appendix carry be comfortable behind hip also?

Thinking along the lines of a Garrett kydex & leather model.

#2 ·
Typically appendix holsters are straight drop and usually you'd like to have FBI cant for behind the hip carry. Wear comfort would probably be OK, it's just a matter of the draw being somewhat more difficult from behind the hip with a straight drop holster. You may be able to use the standard IWB Silent Thunder in both positions since it does have adjustable cant. I know they make a dedicated appendix holster, but I'm not that familiar with it.

#3 ·
Thanks.

Their Silent Thunder IWB is what it sounds like I need....but I really like the offset clip on their appendix model....it'd make things a bit more slim. My little G30 is thick enough as it is.

I'll most likely go with the Silent Thunder.

#4 ·
Good choice.

I have one for car carry I use in appendix position for my 4" 1911 & compact Hi Power. The off set clip design does make it a very slim holster.

Guts not too big yet, but does afford some " shelter" when seated!

#9 ·
So how do you do it..... first lift up your shirt, then your gut to draw? :hrm:

Seriously..... when I was young I carried in the appendix position all the time. Now that I'm a bit round in front as well I've had to shift to normal hip carry. I avoided hip carry at first because I was so skinny I couldn't hide anything, but now I've got enough flab that I can hide a lot more (not that I'm proud of it).

#7 ·
I purchased a Garrett Silent Thunder "Fusion" just recently in the hopes to be able to do exactly what you're thinking. I'm used to carrying concealed in the appendix position with revolvers and this will be my first time carrying a 1911. After talking to Mr. Garrett I decided against the dedicated Appendix holster in favor of a more versatile holster that he just came out with. I finally get to pick it up tomorrow, will be trying it out all weekend and post how it works.

#8 ·
A G30 will be top heavy in appendix carry, especially with as you say a beer gut. This is due to its width. Any length 1911, would be easier to carry in this position. I have several length Garret's for 1911s and this is the only way I carry one. I have tried an Archangel holster for Glock and it works well for Glock appendix carry if that is what pistol you are set on carrying.

#11 ·
I'm 29, with the "former Marine gut", standing approximately 5'6" 150 lbs, and I carry a 5" GI Expert in the appendix carry. Given, in my service days, I was heavy section Motor Transport, and fluctuated between 120-130 Lbs, depending on time of year, then went up to 140 after 25...

#12 ·
My CCW instructor was ex-military, and had a huge beer gut. Near the end of the class when he was discussing holsters, he produced a .380 that had been riding in an almost reverse-SOB holster, a completely slide-horizontal holster suspended right over his fly. His belly held his t-shirt out at that point, and although he'd been teaching for 6-7 hours and I was expecting him to pull something like that, I never saw that one coming. He made his own holsters, though, so I doubt you'd find that easily on the retail market. I got a big kick out of the fact that he'd turned a CCW liability into an asset.

#14 ·
Just lose the gut! It's worth it the effort. I lost 50 lbs last year and carrying became easy and comfy.

Plus the ladies, or your lady, will notice and be glad.

Never understood appendix carry. Seems like sitting would be very uncomfortable. Four o'clock for me.

#16 ·
So true, brother, so true.

I went on a jihad againt body fat in 2011. The first pic is what I looked like in late February 2011.

My lady is very glad, too.

The two of us that same day in early July, 2011:

Recent pic:

Well over 100 lbs lost from March 1- Dec 31, 2011.

How?

The right choices in the kitchen!

And a few hours a week spent here sorting things out.

I decided to give a Silent Thunder IWB holster a try. Looks like they also offer an offest kit if I decided to try carrying "up front". For now, though, the little G30 will ride behind my hip.

I know there's not a lot of love for the plastic guns around here....but that little monster is quite formidable, handles great, crazy accurate and who doesn't love 10+1 rounds of 45acp with a 13 round reload ready????:rock:

I'll see how this holsterd works for me and then proceed from there. I've got a few 1911's that need to be carried, too, and most are in need of better holsters.

#15 ·
I've consider appendix carry, I'm 6' 4" and 182 ILBS. I got fat after active duty and even IWB was uncomfortable...what with the love handles. Decided I wanted to go into the guard and dropped 53 pounds in eight months. Absolutely worth it. It makes carrying more comfortable period, that and being in the same shape I was ten years ago is pretty damn spiffy. Of course now I'm also described as lanky, lean, skinny boy, skeletor, too thin, but that's only by relatives and friends that continue to gain weight.

#17 ·
I carried a G30 in a MTAC for a while. I did like that little brick blaster .

#27 ·
revolver nuts... lol... great user name...
i appendix carry my officers and have always thought it more hide able than hip carry. ive also tried appendix carry for my full size, not so comfy... especially after the gf got me a wilson compensator that added an inch or so. i save the full size for hip carry now. if 12:00 is your cuff line (buttons to zipper) then i would assume appendix carry (right hand) would be 1:30 to maybe 2:00... try em both with your gun. uncle mikes are hard to beat for "trying it out cheap". if you like it then opt for a better quality iwb appendix carry rig and carry to your hearts content. hip carry owb is more "available" imo but with the right holster it can be very concealed and still comfy. let us know how it works out for ya, feedback is always appriciated.

#29 ·
Negative, take proper countermeasures...do not get fat, it freaking bites the big one...avoid it like Lindsey Lohan avoids AA meetings.

#34 ·
Unreal turnaround time from Garrett Industries. Not even a week has gone by since I placed my order and I received my tracking number yesterday.

Custom Silent Thunder IWB for my foul weather-sweat soaked-hiking-mountain biking-dog walkin-rough duty .45acp.

Can't wait. Better get those night sights on her and the break in finished today. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.