1911Forum banner

National Match 45 ACP ammo

12K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  flintsghost 
#1 ·
I have some military 45 National Match ammo that I am thinking about shooting. What can someone tell me about this ammo. Should I shoot it or not and does it have any value?

#2 ·
Some collector value also a good shooting round

IIRC those rounds were loaded for the Camp Pery matches. They should have an eagle with a wreath showing the year of manufacture on the front of the box. Some of the 80's vinatge stuff was in a brown box marked with a year code and match.

Think of it as very consistent, match grade, 230 GI Ball and you basically have it. The match rounds may be a loaded a little softer than the GI issue basic brown box Ball but they will cycle just fine with a standard recoil spring, the diffeence is very slight. The primers should be non corrosive also with a red primer sealant. I have shot Winchester 1968 and 1974 both were very accurate and fuctioned flawlessly.

One of the big 3 ammo makers were awared the particular match contract for each particular year. Case heads usually read maker, year and match (ex 1974 case head reads WCC 74 match) I am certain about the following years-
1962- Federal
1966- Remington
1968- Winchester
1974- Winchester
1981- Winchester - No visible primer sealant

I have a few boxes and I am always scanning gunbroker and auction arms for more. They can sell for up to $30 a box but anything over $20 usually just sits around without anyone bidding because the price is just too salty. In the 1980's there was some IMI loaded 185 JSWC and 230 Ball with a case head of TZZ year then match. Some guy was selling a box of the 185's on auction arms for $50 but those prices are delusional at best.

Hope this helps,
JMC

#3 ·
shortround451 said:
I have some military 45 National Match ammo that I am thinking about shooting. What can someone tell me about this ammo. Should I shoot it or not and does it have any value?
It's pretty snappy stuff, and, as noted before, quite accurate. During QA testing by the Army, ten, 10-shot groups would be fired from a test fixture at 50 yards. The average of the ten groups could not exceed 3 inches with no individual group exceeding 3.5 inches.

Shoot it in a CMP Match, that what it's for:rock:

The current commercial equivalent is Federal 45A,which sells for ~$30/box.

#5 ·
Clark LSHB said:
As I remember it, the "brown box" hardball was military, but not match ammo. It couldn't meet the higher accuracy and consistency of velocity standards of "white box" or Match. Of all the brown box I had, none had the "match" headstamp as did the white.
The packaging had changed by the 1990's. The earliest samples I possess are WCC 1991 Match, so at least by 1991 it all came in a brown box. Picture is attached:)

Attachments

#7 ·
bigwagon said:
Anybody know of any sources for this ammo? I have a couple of boxes of WCC 78 Match I picked up at a gunshow, but I'd like to stockpile a bit more of any vintage.
The last time I saw Match Ball was WCC95. My understanding is that, since the US Pistol M9 is the current Service Pistol, the Army has stopped buying Match Ball, and it was only made when the Army ordered it.

#10 ·
File this in the "for what it's worth" info file. I have a fair amount of GI Match .45acp. The newest "white box" match I have is '88 headstamp. The only "brown box match" I have is all WCC 90 headstamp and I have several cans of it, all in the same lot. I do have a very early box from some fired GI match that is from the '60's that was loaded by Federal that also has a brown box but is clearly marked on the front as Match. I shot the ammo out of it a short time ago and I seem to remember it was '62 but that might not be correct.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.