1911Forum banner

Where's all the .22 ammo?

10K views 31 replies 28 participants last post by  kelpie 
#1 ·
I've been to multiple Walmart locations in the last couple of days.Same thing at Midway and Brownells. What I'm seeing is pretty alarming. The typical rifle and pistol ammo stocks are low to none, with slow restock, but .22LR is GONE.

#2 ·
+1 What the heck? And from talking to random people in Gander, some are just stockpiling it and reselling it at a gouging profit. What a jerk (insert stronger word here).

#6 ·
I just got on the Walmart email notidfication list for CCI and Winchester. (My Kimber .22 is really finicky.) As soon as I get the email, I'll run over there and buy my fill.

CCI Mini Mags usually run about $7-8 for 100 rds around here. I saw some in a shop locally the other day at $15+. I think we've officially eclipsed the madness that happened after the '08 election by a wide margin. Was it like this in 94?

#7 ·
I go to the one a mile from my house every morning to check on 22 ammo.
The other day I was talking with the young lady that orders stock.

Walmart has put a 2 week hold on any more ammo orders. No inventory to cover existing stock orders.

Some will trickle in. But mostly the shelves will be empty.

I luckly walked in yesterday and found 1 box of Winchester 22lr, 1000 for $48.35.
Be prepaired to pay more even at Walmart..:bawling:

#9 ·
.22's started dwindling long before Sandy Hook. Just last summer bulk 22's used to sit on the end isle of the Wallyworld gun counter, but they disappeared 6 months or so go. I used to buy Blazer by the case from Palmetto State Armory, but they have mostly been out of bulk stock for several months(currently ONLY have CCI Segmented @ $12 a box of 50).

I don't know what's going on either. You would think the mfg's would have ramped up their production but it sure does not seem like it.

I never dreamed I would ever have to ration out .22's but it is here and it is now.

#11 · (Edited)
You know I've said for a long time that in a SHTF situation I could see .22lr cartridges being used as a form of currency just like coins.

Right now your paper dollars can't get much in the way of .22 ammo because it's not there. If you have it you can easily find people willing to trade fed notes for it, or even trade things of real value as well.

Just thinking out loud.

#12 ·
+1 Here too. It's getting to be a mythical creature....

Although I have to say - every time I see a bulk box of 22 in the past 2 months I buy at least one bulk box, or the equivalent. I don't empty the shelf, but I know I'm contributing to the scarcity. My rat-hole is pretty small though. Think I've got maybe 4k now.

#13 ·
It can't be reloaded and people are panic buying/hoarding. Once this POTUS was in office I bought some 22 every paycheck just one box or maybe two. Learned reloading and got a Dillon 550. Picked up brass for years and am sitting pretty good.

#23 ·
Nothing even discussed about proposed gun control law or executive action touches on folks' shooting 10-rd .22 pistols, yet extra mags and ammo are already almost impossible to find.

I just lost interest in rimfire and stocked up on .223 and all my handgun ammo components, some time ago. Now that I've ordered a suppressor and acquired a nice Ruger 22/45 with threaded barrel, everything is just nuts. Makes no sense to me. Hell, having a community organizer as Prez never made any sense to me, either! :eek:

#24 ·
wal mart here at remington thunderbolt for under 3 bucks a box. I bought 6 boxes just for the hell of it 300 rounds for about 14 bucks ain't bad. I may go back tonight and pick up the rest. Lead round nose. I have a brick of federal bulk 525 round box.

Hell I don't even OWN a 22LR gun YET. But I might as well stock up while its cheap and I have access to it.

I hate buying ammo when I wanna go shoot.

#25 ·
Dicks Sporting Goods, love em or hate em, had a bunch of these in stock
today, 2000 rds for 109.99+tax. I've never used this stuff before but good
reports are out there on the web. Plastic Ammo box contains 4 boxes of 500.

Supposed to be accurate and feed well--We'll see.

#27 ·
I heard it from a guy (RL) on the radio today that one of Wal-Mart's top management told an employee that there not going to restock ammo until Obama decides what he wants in a weapons ban as they (WM) don't want to get stuck with something that can't sell under a ban which may take a year to pass.

I say the #### with Wal-Mart for picking sides as they should be kissing our a$$ and not Obama's.. it's time the guns owners show Wal-Mart the power of our wallet and boycott them!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.