1911Forum banner

new to me S&W 14-3

1K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Che 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I just acquired a new revolver today, swapped some finish work for it from a friend. No pictures yet, sorry. It's a standard Model 14-3, six inch barrel, and I don't think it was ever shot much, it's an easy 95%. Service stocks, standard hammer and trigger, no box. At first, I was thinking late '70's, but the more I look around, I'm starting to think earlier. The serial number is 1K962XX. Any comments are welcome. BTW, I've had a M17 for over 30 years, always thought it had the best trigger I've ever felt on a factory revolver. The new M14 is better.
Thanks,
L.

#4 · (Edited)
Boy, I sure could use some ammo recommendations for this. I've been looking online for an hour, I see quite a bit of +P stuff, which I don't think I want, and quite a bit of FMJ 130 gr. and 158gr. LRN. Will I have any problems with the lead bullets? I was thinking I'd find some jacketed hollow point loadings, and order a few boxes, but I don't see much available.
Thanks in advance,
L.

Here's a not very good picture. I threw some smooth presentation grips on it in place of the service grips (which are numbered to the gun).

#5 ·
What you have is S&W's quintessential .38 caliber target revolver.
The ammo it needs for maximum accuracy is something in a 148 grain double ended wadcutter. While you could shoot any safe .38 Special or any +P load, this version of the venerable K frame is a target gun. So light target loads and she'll last a couple lifetimes.

Congrats by the way.

#10 ·
What you have is S&W's quintessential .38 caliber target revolver.
The ammo it needs for maximum accuracy is something in a 148 grain double ended wadcutter. While you could shoot any safe .38 Special or any +P load, this version of the venerable K frame is a target gun. So light target loads and she'll last a couple lifetimes.
Agree. I have a 14-2 I use a lot. Normally shoot 148 grain FWC match ammo.

#6 ·
Thanks, Jason. I've got a 586, so I wasn't looking to push any type of max loads out of this. Just something that will be fun to shoot, to see what it will do.
L.

#7 ·
They are fun to shoot alright. If there was one revolver in my collection that has been shot the most, it's the good old model 14.

If you are not a reloader. Pretty much any .38 special ammo will work. A wadcutter target load could be pricey. Winchester used to load a 130 FMJ in their white box line that was pretty clean. It's hard to say what will lead in a factory lead round. I shoot primarily reloads so it's common for there to be a little lead.

I always clean my revolvers with a Lewis lead remover. I think you can still find them at Brownells.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.