1911Forum banner

I got the Python thread w/pic.

7K views 25 replies 18 participants last post by  executivetimemgnt 
#1 · (Edited)
Many thanks to the folks who responded to my short notice request for Python info. I took the plunge and satisfied the need: "Every man should own a Python at least once in his life." Made a little space in my small gun safe and took a little cash, but I got it home today, my 55th birthday. Naturally, I had to take a photo and post it.

Of the various names/processes Colt has I believe this one to be Coltguard as it has more the matt finish than I believe the standard electroless nickel have. Looks like a good finish for someone who intends to shoot it. Fortunately I can't afford to shoot it a lot. ;) I had a Colt Combat Commander back in the late 80s that had the same finish.

P.S. The grip looks better in person. Mostly a lighting issue.

The serial # is E57XXX. If any of you Colt guys can narrow that down I would appreciate it. I'll be calling Colt sometime next week to pin it down, but any info would be nice.

At the gun show today I saw a lot of Pythons, none under $1300 with most running much more. Oh, except the matt blue, refinished 4" for $850. Yikes. So while I didn't steal it, I don't feel I got totally ragged on it. I certainly got it for less than the ones I was seeing at the show, and not all those had boxes either. Well, it was more than the refinished one. :p

I found this sight:http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html which shows it as 1973.

See less See more
#5 ·
Nice score for sure. I wouldn't be too hung up on what You paid. They are not making these anymore and most likely never will again.

Colt's have been going nothing but UP, no matter the model.

The original grips alone are bringing $150 and UP right now. So if you decide to switch grips or whatever...absolutely hang on to the originals!

Again...Very nice acquisition.

FN in MT

#21 ·
Yes---get one if you can because Colt does not have the capability to build any more Pythons. To build them again it would take thousands of hours of programming and redesign of the the entire manufacturing process. The Python was pretty much a hand built operation and all of the equipment previosly used for manufacturer is gone.

#6 · (Edited)
E57XXX was made in 1973.
1973 started at E53501. 1974 started at E61001

Unfortunately this means your Python is a refinished gun.
At that time, the only finishes the Python normally came in was bright Royal Blue, and Bright Nickel.
The electroless nickel finishes were not available until some years later, in the early 1980's.

The electroless nickle finish was originally offered as "Satin Electroless Nickel" then later called "Coltguard".
The Python version was shinier then the standard Coltguard and was known as "Royal Coltguard".

Satin Electroless Nickel , AKA "Coltguard" has the typical yellowish tint common to nickel.
The finish could also be hard chrome. Hard chrome has a slight blue tint to the finish.

Which it is might be apparent if you compare the finish to something made of stainless steel. Stainless steel has a "white" color.
If the finish on your Python is satin electroless nickel, the yellow tint will be apparent.

So, VERY nice Python, but one that has a non-original re-finish.
If it's a hard chrome, even better, since hard chrome is one of the few really life-time gun finishes and makes the gun last a lot longer due to the hard finish.

Here's a link to a discussion about Coltguard and the Python Royal Coltguard on the Colt forum:

http://www.coltforum.com/forums/colt-semiauto-pistols/24570-coltguard-question.html

#7 ·
Dfariswheel,

Thanks for the info. Yes, this definitely has the yellow tone of the Coltguard. Since all the rollmarks and stampings are clean and show no sign of buffing or any such manipulation would it be reasonable that any refinishing was done by Colt? I'll ask that when I call, but that won't be for a few days at least.

I'll check out the link. I'm still liking it a lot. I won't cringe so much when I shoot it now.

Thanks all for the compliments. I pulled it out when I got home to show the wife and she did that sudden little jump and vocal inhale followed by an "ohhhh" on the exhale. She loved it.

#8 · (Edited)
Very nice!

Mine was made in 1962, but looks like it has the same finish?

Someone told me they thought it was a blued gun which had been glass bead blasted, but now I'm thinking it was sent in and refinished.

#10 · (Edited)
I did not double check the sn on proofhouse, but if it is a 1973 Python the grips are also a little too "new" for it since they are the third generation variety which started around 1974 or 1975.

They do look to be genuine factory Python grips though, and as noted above those are selling for serious money these days.

Nice Python. I am sure you will enjoy shooting it. I love to shoot mine and certainly have no intentions to retire them. :)

#11 ·
With progressives I have a little trouble seeing the front sight. I'm wondering if there is still either a good smith, or if Colt could change out the front sight (while keeping the old one on hand) to a gold bead and the rear blade to a U shape for an old fashioned paper puncher set up. Since I won't be wrecking any major collector value I might as well set it up for a range gun to shoot for some years to (hopefully) come. Sucks I have to wait another week or two to get out and shoot it.

#13 · (Edited)
Yep, I know about progressive lenses. :)

The front sight on the older model is held in by two pins, and the rear by the elevation screw and a hinge pin.

Actually, I like the factory sight set up on my Pythons and find them as easy just with black sights as my Ed Brown with a 10-8 rear and Novak gold bead front, but different strokes for different folks.

As for Python sights, there aren't a lot of options these days. Later Pythons (after around the early 80's) had a white outline around the rear notch and a red-ramp insert in the front sight which were a little easier on the eyes in some light. The red ramp front more so than the white outline on the rear.

The only current source for Python sights I know of is Kensight, which not only offers the ramp front and Colt Accro style rear setup but also the Patridge front and Elliason style rear, which are a little more legibile. You always have the option of sourcing one of the front sights and having it modified with an insert and installed by a gunsmith.

Rear Accro style sights:

http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight/-strse-80/Accro%26%23174-scln--style--dsh--Square/Detail.bok

http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight/-strse-179/Colt-Gold-Cup%2C-Colt/Detail.bok

Rear Elliason style sights:

http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight/-strse-88/Elliason%C2%AE-style--dsh--Square/Detail.bok

http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight/-strse-89/Elliason%C2%AE-style--dsh--Tritium/Detail.bok

Front sight blades:

http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight/-strse-87/Ramp-Front-for-Colt%26%23174-scln-/Detail.bok

http://stores.homestead.com/KenSight/-strse-86/Patridge-front-for-Colt%26%23174-scln-/Detail.bok

I have tried the Elliason/Patridge set up, and if I had a six inch gun I would definitely give that some consideration.

If you are going to do much shooting with it, you might also want to look into some more comfortable target grips and save wear and tear on the older collectable factory grips. Later Pythons ("Elites") came with smooth laminated finger groove grips made by Altamont and available sometimes from Colt's custom shop, or you can look at Gun Grip Supply for pretty much the same thing in more variety of styles and colors-

http://www.gungripsupply.com/

Good luck-

#14 ·
Tim, thanks for the links!

Either the partridge or ramp sight would work quite well I think. Just a matter of deciding between the slight edginess of the partridge or the sleek, factory look of the ramp. Easier to see than the current front, probably more versatile than the bead, and a lot less expensive and less trouble to set up. I just have trouble seeing nickle or stainless front blades, or the red/orange ramp inserts. That's given me no end of grief on some otherwise sweet K-frame S&Ws. I've passed on a few otherwise lovely guns because of the front sight. Even with my old eyes I can do black on black a lot better.

For sheer good looks with the finish it has I'm thinking either the bonded ivory smooth target or the finger grooved grips with Colt medallions. Hey, I'm not competing so style points count. ;) That Commander I picked up in the century had smooth, bonded ivory stocks and it was a beautiful combination.

Yep, got those links bookmarked and next paycheck I may have to blow the raise we just got on sights and grips to personalize this old Python and enjoy it. That's okay. I'm working an extra shift on April 1st anyway. No fool like an old fool. :D

#15 ·
Yep, for some reason the good old fashioned black front and rear sights work the best for my ageing eyes as well. :confused:

The way they would have come from Colt would be either the front ramp and Accro rear or the Patridge front and Elliason rear, although the other combinatins could work alright if you did not care about that.

I think that the Patridge/Elliason set up is the nicest for target shooting, but I use the original ramp/Accro set up on my 4-inch Pythons, in part because the ramp from does less damage and catches less fuzz from my holsters.

As for the grips, I use the checkered original style on my 4-inch Pythons because they fit my smaller hand well and I like the traditional look on the 4-inch guns. I have used the smooth finger groove grips, and really like those when shooting the longer barrel Pythons.

Tina is great to deal with, but you might want to ask her about the bonded ivory because that is the one material which sometimes is a little off in the fit. No problems with that though because she provides excellent customer service and will excahnge or refund them if there is a problem. :)

#16 ·
New Python

Beautiful revolver; really like the look of the more subdued nickel finish.

Congratulations.:)

#17 ·
Thanks, KVT. I was thinking one of the things that supposedly sets Pythons apart are the bright, high polished finishes. So on one hand I feel I may be shorting the whole Python mystique, but I do think this type finish will be good on a using revolver. And, it is pretty darn good looking.

Tim, sweet pair of 4s there. Appreciate the heads up on the bonded stocks. I think the ones that copy the original target grip would look best on mine, but I think the oversize finger groove will balance things out the best and give a little better grip. I think I'm pretty much settled on the ramp front and stick with the stock rear sight and see how that shoots first.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.